Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Getting frustrated!

I've been following up on all your make-up brand suggestions (MAC seems to be the preferred brand amongst Canadian Nesties). But I've also been checking out the cosmetics database run by the Environmental Working Group. I'm getting so frustrated that even brands that have a reputation for being natural are often getting terrible scores in the database! The Body Shop and Aveda, for instance. I'm getting the feeling that, no matter how hard I try, I'm going to end up with scary chemicals, whatever I choose Hmm

Re: Getting frustrated!

• Thanks for the resource!

I would say that if you are interested in using make-up that is on the low end for chemicals, go to an organics store and buy it there. Then if you needed help putting it on. You could always bring your stuff to a make-up artist for a session.

Looking through the database I did find some common (and fairly decent) make-up brands. Not sure if they have good labour practises and don't test on animals though.

Example -

Gloss (Burt's Bees, Wet N Wild, Boots)

Mascara (Almay, Maybelline, Rimmel, Loreal)

Concealer (Physician's Formula)

Hope that helps in your search.

• Melanie,

I too have been concerned about chemicals and animal products for a while and switched from my old makeup to a top rated organic mineral makeup.  I'm not sure how you feel about mineral makeup but it is wonderful and no scary chemicals like talc or bismuth in it.  The company also voluntarily complies with the standards set out by safecosmetics.org.  (I don't know if you use this one or Skin Deep to check your cosmetics.)

Check out their website if you are interested:

afterglowcosmetics.com

• P.S. I just checked Afterglow on Skin Deep (www.cosmeticsdatabase.com) and all of their products are rated between 1-3!  Not too bad! :)