Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

question for moms

What kind of gift or product did you receive that you could not get enough of after you had your little one?  I'm thinking something useful.

I have 4 friends that are preggo right now and I would like to get them something, but I don't know what's useful in the first couple of weeks and I'm looking for something on the inexpensive side.  I feel like they'll get a ton of hats, booties, onesies, etc, but maybe I'm wrong and you can never have too many onesies.

Re: question for moms

• My co-worker had a baby a few months ago and she loved that a few people made them frozen dinners and that helped when they went back to work. Not sure if you wanted to go that route though.
  • honestly one can never have enough diapers, formula, gift cards to BRU. I know its boring but it is what i appreciated the most. Besides that stuff, another fun gift I enjoyed was a gift card to a photographer/photo session. also received a mani/pedi day
    David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11
  • It is a little on the more expensive side, but i LOVED my boppy. Diapers are also a big hit.
  • Someone got us really cute burp cloths that were actually pretty. I felt all trendy and I am really not. Check out Etsy.com for some, they have some cool ones on there. I used them a lot.

Or how about a bottle of wine? Or some really good brews? I got some of that and that was my favorite! It was nice to relax with a delicious beer after nine months of carrying the baby and then after the baby was born.

Just a thought. You sound like a nice friend putting some thought into it.

• For us, the best gifts were outfits that were in bigger sizes.  Part of the fun of shopping for a new baby is picking out cute clothes.  But choo choo grew so fast and was pretty big to begin with.  We had a shitton of newborn and 0-3 month stuff that he barely, and in some cases never, wore

Onesies and sleepers in sizes 3-6 month, 6-9 month were awesome.  Also, when picking out clothes, think about function.  THis is something I never would have thought of before having a kid, but you are changing newborns so often you need things that are easy to get on and off 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • i agree on the food thing- cooking was the last thing on my mind so anytime someone showed up at my house with food i was so happy.

diapers are good but you might not know what kind they like to use. same thing with wipes.  gift cards are always a good idea. 

i also agree w/ eagles- if you get clothes get them in bigger sizes.  babies grow so fast they're out of newborn clothes before they have a chance to wear them all.

what about a gift card to a restaurant- something the parents can look forward to- a night out.