International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Poll/Debate! Designer babies

Re: Poll/Debate! Designer babies

• The general consensus, it seems from reading comments all over the web, on "designer babies" is that it's sick and wrong to pre-select your baby's physical traits. What if it's not about only loving a baby that looks a certain way? ?What if you could do it just for fun, and it didn't take all the time and money that it does? ?Would you be tempted?

Let's say you're TTCing or pregnant, and you're handed a magical Scantron sheet where you can select your baby's hair color, eye color, and/or other physical traits, at no cost to you whatsoever.

• None of the options really suit how I feel about the issue. I think it's immoral. Humans are trying to take control of something nature can take care of. Our quirks are what make us different and special.

Can you imagine someday having all of these "perfect" geniuses out there? There would be no one to do the dirty work like collecting garbage and cleaning bathrooms. ?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a designer baby, so to speak. We didn't get to pick the traits of the donor, per say, but we did give our requests/requirements. In the end Sadie could have come out purple, blind, atrocious etc and we STILL would think that she's perfect. Luckily enough she did come out perfect.

I think that most people who are chosing traits of donors aren't necessarily looking for the "perfect kid" but rather the closest match to their SO's. Those who are choosing donors simply to have a cuter kid, well, I don't know anybody that shallow.

LOL at the scantron sheet. I would like to choose which one of my/dh's traits she would have gotten though, like his patience, my eye color,dh's height etc.

• My bio teacher in H.S. brought up this debate.  He felt (10 years ago,) that this would be an issue within our generation.  Of course, we all said it was wrong.

He brought up a good point- even though I am still very against it.  He asked us, "if you chose against genetic designing and leave your child to nature, and there is even one child on this earth who has been designed to be good looking or smart, how will you justify your decision to your child?  Especially if your child grows up to be not as smart or not as perfect as the designed one?  How will you explain to your child that he is better off?"

Of course, my teacher was totally against this too.  But he had a good point, that sometimes no matter what we feel, our choices may be influenced by other factors.  

• I was only thinking of stuff like eye color, not how smart or strong they are. ?I don't think it's a big deal. ?We tried for a girl by taking vitamins, timing intercourse, etc. but we'd have loved a boy just as much. ?We just thought it would be kinda cool to have a girl first because in both of our families, the girl was the youngest. ?I don't think it's much different to pick an eye color or hair color. ?If someone said (and I'm 100% pulling this out of my butt) that eating a lot of cinnamon rolls while pregnant would get you a blonde baby, I wouldn't care if someone started eating a lot of cinnamon rolls. ?It would only bother me if a non-blonde baby was actually seen as less than a blonde one, and wouldn't be as loved by that person. ?I don't think most people are like that, though.
  • i think it would be fun, not in the "i want the perfect kid" way, but because i prefer some of DH's traits over mine and vice versa. for example, if i could make sure our kid has his long athletic legs over my short stumpy ones, i totally would. or if i could make sure our kids get my straight teeth but his non-cavity ones, i also would. same goes for vision. i would just want the baby to get the best of both of us, not be some super genius or perfect kid.
  • I'm not too stuck on intellect or physical appearance but I'd love to choose particular traits, to get the best of both of us. As much fun as I think it'd be I wonder if this actually does happen, how many 6ft + left handed basketball players will be "made". It could get scary.

• I'm with alcyone, although I'd never "try" for a boy or girl because by trying I'd totally jinx myself into getting the opposite of whatever I wanted.  Yea I have issues...

?Transatlantic Blonde?
    it's called a kilt, he's scottish
  • I also don't think it's a big deal.  If it were free and safe, why not?  I think some of the debate comes down to religious views, as in 'God gave you this specific baby' and I just don't think that's true.  I think fertility and the resulting babies are the results of science.  Sperm and egg, not divine intervention...for lack of a better phrase.
  • I think it's an incredibly slippery slope and you would unfortunately have those people who would be crushed if they didn't get the desired result.  How many of us know people who were disappointed by the gender of their child?  I do.  Some got over it and some didn't.  And that was without trying for a specific outcome.  While it would be just in fun for probably the majority, it would be all-important to others.  Look at the fallout over the Octo-Mom situation.  It's not the same thing exactly but kind of related.  I just don't personally think it's a good idea.  And I am not religious, so that doesn't play into my answer at all.
  • The only reason I can't fully say I'm against it is because I don't have any problem with genetic screening for diseases and genetic mutations. I think its a bit much to do eye color and hair color and all that jazz, but to make sure you kid won't have some inherited genetic mutation that you could potentially pass on doesn't bother me one bit. If I was in a situation where I had to do that you can bet I'd be wanting to do it before I was pregnant and select specific embryos for implantation than have to make the decision to end a pregnancy after testing found the problem. Knock on wood I won't ever have to make either decision but I can certainly see why people would want to "design" their babies that way.?
  • I'll say it -- I'd do it in a heartbeat. DH has a better nose than me, and his eyes are prettier. I'd pick his traits. I love James the way he is, 100%, but this lovely child has to deal with MY nose. Luckily he got my lips! ;)
  • Even if you're only starting out with the physical traits, (which seems like no big deal) scientists will have dicovered "smart" genes and so on... where would the line be drawn???

• Honestly, if I could give my kid every advantage in life, I would. If I could tick a box for a doctor to make him super-duper smart, then so be it. It's not a?guarantee?that he'll be happy in life, I know, but I would feel like a bad mother if I didn't even TRY to make life as best as possible for him.
  • Aside from religious/financial debates, I'd hate it (except for genetic screening for disease). What I or DH might want for our future children, thinking it would be the best might stop them from being something we can't choose or determine. For example, if we wanted our kids to have DH's olive skin and my curly hair and to be sporty and intelligent and arty then that would seem great. But through some mystical occurence whereby we didn't determine their genes they could be something even greater like wonderfully musical and have his dark hair and my pale skin.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I know that what I might think the best for my future children may not actually be the best for them. I couldn't take that responsibility of 'fixing' who they will be and what they can do.

• image LoopyNoodle:

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I know that what I might think the best for my future children may not actually be the best for them. I couldn't take that responsibility of 'fixing' who they will be and what they can do.

Well said, loopy. ?