Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

In 4 weddings this fall! Need HELP planning!

Hi ladies. I would really appreciate any feedback you have. I only have heavy responsibilities in 2 out of the 4 weddings. I am my Sisters MOH and the only one in her wedding party so I want everything to be great! In trying to plan two bachelorette parties and 2 showers for my sister (household and personal), I need some serious ideas and I don't want to plan similar things for both her and my best friend. Any suggestions or resources you used would be welcome. Thanks!!

More info: Sisters wedding is at winery, she doesn't want a crazy night out on the town, not really a spa type shower, etc. Several of her close friends have infants so that cuts down on a lot of late stuff. 

Thanks again!

Anniversary

Re: In 4 weddings this fall! Need HELP planning!

• The ladies at my church threw me a high tea which was so much fun. ?We did not do the regular gifts there in the invites there was nice stationary to write down advice. ?They went through the three courses and shared their advice with me. It was a wonderful experience for me. ?That being said gifts could also be incorporated into this. ?That may be a good option for your sister since she is more low key and sounds like she has friends who could offer marriage and parental advice.

Craft Blog
  • I don't know if it's an option, but I would probably just hold one shower for your sister.  Then at her bachelorette party give her a few personal items.This is what my friends and I have done in our group.   This would give you one less event to have to plan.

The Nest party planning bio has some good ideas for showers if you're looking for a theme.  When I planned my best friend's shower I just based it on color.  It was a brunch.

Would your sister or your friend like a cocktail party type shower?

http://thenestpartybio.googlepages.com/thenestpartybio

For bachelorette party ideas, it's a bit hard to give ideas without knowing what their interests are, but some alternatives to the night on the town or spa, would be:

A slumber party.

A day at the beach followed by a barbecue with margaritas.

A nice dinner and a show at the theater.

Good luck with all the planning.

• Oh my goodness-you sound like me the year before last! I was in 3 weddings plus my own.

Get a folder or notebook for each event you're planning to keep information organized.  Weddings are so expensive so you might want to set a budget for each event so you don't spread yourself too thin.

Your sister sounds like she'd enjoy a low-key sort of party, like my SIL.  I threw a "little black dress" bachelorette party for my SIL in which we got dressed up and went out for drinks and appetizers at a classy restaurant in town. Sometimes if you let the restaurant know ahead of time they'll give a complimentary drink to the bride-to-be.  It turned out to be a great night because of the intimate setting.

For her shower I used my mom's house because it had enough space to entertain.  I put the lights low and light a lot of candles and played jazz music to set the mood.  Serve wine, punch, and easy appetizers so you don't stress yourself out (think: shrimp, cucumber sandwiches, cheese tray, and fruit). 

An alternative to games is to?

n Ask everyone to bring a recipe (send recipe cards out with the invites)

n Pass around a pretty notebook for the attendees to put advice in and read them aloud without saying who wrote what if you think it may embarrass someone

n Compile a list of fun questions for her to answer about her fianc? in front of the group

?         Where did you meet?

?         What was your initial impression of him?

?         Why were you in to him?  

?         Where was your first kiss?

?         What?s your favorite physical feature about him?

?         Etc.

This way the group can be involved without some of the cheesy games.
  • Oh my goodness-you sound like me the year before last! I was in 3 weddings plus my own.

Get a folder or notebook for each event you're planning to keep information organized.  Weddings are so expensive so you might want to set a budget for each event so you don't spread yourself too thin.

Your sister sounds like she'd enjoy a low-key sort of party, like my SIL.  I threw a "little black dress" bachelorette party for my SIL in which we got dressed up and went out for drinks and appetizers at a classy restaurant in town. Sometimes if you let the restaurant know ahead of time they'll give a complimentary drink to the bride-to-be.  It turned out to be a great night because of the intimate setting.

For her shower I used my mom's house because it had enough space to entertain.  I put the lights low and light a lot of candles and played jazz music to set the mood.  Serve wine, punch, and easy appetizers so you don't stress yourself out (think: shrimp, cucumber sandwiches, cheese tray, and fruit). 

n Pass around a pretty notebook for the attendees to put advice in and read them aloud without saying who wrote what if you think it may embarrass someone

n Compile a list of fun questions for her to answer about her fianc? in front of the group

?         Etc.

?         Etc.