Des Moines Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Internet Service Providers in this area

We'll be moving at the end of February and I want to be able to save more with our Internet. We don't use a landline and are going to go without cable for awhile so we won't qualify for a bundled deal.

I did a quick search for Internet service providers in Des Moines and only found 4 companies: Qwest ($35), Mediacom ($46 if you have cable or land line too, it wouldn't give Internet only), IowaLink ($53 for the faster service I need for school - otherwise $35 - plus a one-time fee of $70), Internet Solver ($48). Do any of you use a different ISP? If so, what are you paying? TIA!

Re: Internet Service Providers in this area

• We've had Mediacom and Qwest so I'm not much help.  My old old job had netzero? I've also heard of Vonage (is that internet or just phone?) ... I have no idea on their pricing, but something to consider when shopping around.
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/20thxyh.jpg[/IMG]

Our ferocious guard dog : BEWARE!
  • We have Nexgen but I'm not sure if they just provide to condo areas or what they do...it was the only provider we could go with when we moved into the condo as per an exclusive contract they signed with the association.  They are pretty good in terms of their quality and price in my opinion.  All in all we pay $61 a month for cable and internet without the separate fee that is for DVR.  I think this coming summer we'll be getting rid of the DVR and maybe our cable so I need to figure out what it will cost for internet only.  I don't think they have their prices online as far as what each one costs though.
  • because you mentioned you need high speed, qwest does not offer high speed in our area.  i've wanted to switch to them from mediacom so i can bundle my directv but qwest only offers the 1.5 mps speed which is just about as fast as dial up, ha.  you can sign up on their website to see when the 20 mps is coming to our area.