Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Recommend books for a 5 year old boy

My sister is having a birthday party for two of her boys next weekend (both born in Feb) and her youngest who is turning 5 loves books.  I know he likes the Little Einstien's Pat Pat Rocket series as well as Biscut (a series about a dog). I'm not sure which books in those series he has so I'm thinking of getting him something different. I'm heading out to Boarders tomorrow but really have no idea what kind of books little boys like. Anyone have any suggestions for a 5 year old boy? My sister said he's fascinated with books and would love anything. TIA!

Re: Recommend books for a 5 year old boy

• I teach Kindergarten--my boys love the books How I Became a Pirate and Pirates Don't Change Diapers.  Can't remember the author.

Any of Robert Munsch books are great--very silly.  Especially Andrew's Loose Tooth.

They also love checking Magic Tree House books out of the library.  They are beginner chapter books and most can't read them yet, but they love having their parents read those books to them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would recommend David Carter pop up books.  They aren't childish pop ups.  They are architectural wonders.  I've seen adults fascinated by them and kids just love them.

And they are usually puzzles.  We have One Red Dot and Blue 2.  Every one of the intricate structures has a red dot or a blue 2 hidden on it.  They are really fun to find.  The writting is poetic and really imaginitive.

E

• I love anything by Kevin Henkes: Chester's Way, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Julius the Baby of the World. There are lots more.

Mo Willems, anything in the Pigeon series: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay up Late, etc.

Don't know the authors of the following:

There's a Nightmare in My Closet

Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs

I'll keep thinking...

• Thanks for the suggestions! I'll write these down and take them with me to the store tomorrow. Keep 'em comin!
  • image chloek:

I love anything by Kevin Henkes: Chester's Way, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Julius the Baby of the World. There are lots more.

Mo Willems, anything in the Pigeon series: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay up Late, etc.

Don't know the authors of the following:

There's a Nightmare in My Closet

Cloudy w/ a Chance of Meatballs

I'll keep thinking...

?

I second the Mo Willems Pigeon series. My boys (first grade) LOVE this series!?

• I love The little squeegy bug and There's a monkey among us to name a few. My son loves anything with cars, trucks, planes and trains. Also the magic school bus books (the level one or two ones), I spy books.
    [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/33etugm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://tinyurl.com/7f9prt8[/IMG]

Books read in 2011- 62/75
  • Mo Willems also wrote Leonardo the Terrible Monster. It's my all-time fave. Along this theme, Go Away Big Green Monster is fun. Not on the monster theme, Ira Sleeps Over or any of the Kevin Henkes books.
    DD 2.9.10 DS born sleeping 12.2.12
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up getting a book by Mo Williams about Elephant and Piggie and they were going to a party. It looked really cute and I thought he would like that since we were all going to be at HIS party! lol