Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Tell me about Myrtle Beach, SC.

My husband and I are looking at options for a short vacation for our one-year anniversary.  We're considering Myrtle Beach, as we can save on hotel costs (and not feel so bad about airfare) because we have friends with property that we can stay in.  We're looking for something low-key, maybe 4 days.  Neither of us have been there, or anywhere along the east coast.  We'll be going at the end of May, and if helps, I will be six months pregnant.

TIA.  :)

Re: Tell me about Myrtle Beach, SC.

• If you want low key, I wouldn't suggest MB. What about some NC beach destinations--Emerald Isle, Outer Banks...

MB is very touristy and commercial. Lots of people love it, but it's just not for me. It has its nice parts, though.

• I used to go to Myrtle Beach every year in May for "beach week" after exams ended in college (my whole school would head down there).  So my experience is pretty much super crummy hotels, lots of everclear with kookaid in garbage cans, and some pretty sketchy nightclubs.

We went to North Myrtle, though.  If your friend has a house there, I suspect it's in Myrtle Beach proper, which is supposed to be a lot more family friendly!  The beaches there are good -- east coast beaches get better as you go further south (at least in my opinion).  I think the outer banks (in NC) might be more of a laid back beach vacation (more cute shops, you could see Kitty Hawk, that sort of thing), but if you've got a free place to stay, I think Myrtle Beach would be a great vacation!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I really like it there. It's not quiet and low-key, but has good dining, nice shopping and nice beaches, and you can get great beachfront condos with nice pools for a steal. I've done a lot of baby shopping in the outlet stores there. You'll definitely have to rent a car if you're flying.
  • I went there in HS for spring break. There was a TON of high school, college aged kids there when I went. Not sure how it is normally or whether it is even still like that.