Getting Pregnant
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Could I be pregnant?

This is my first post even though I've been lurking for about 2 weeks now. Anyways, I have no idea what is going on with me. I haven't had a period in 48 days, I've been nausea and tired. I took a pregnancy test the other day and it came back negative. Also, I don't know if this could be a contributing factor but I am on Symbicort for my asthma and have no idea if that could be affecting me?! Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Could I be pregnant?

• There is no way an internet stranger can determine if you are pregnant.

Call your doctor since you're on CD 48.  They may not see you until you are past CD 60.

Have you been charting?  Have you ovulated?  This could just be a long cycle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't chart, I didn't even really know about charting until I stumbled upon TheNest.com. I also don't have a doctor because I don't have insurance. I went to urgent care to get my asthma medication and I don't think that doctor deals with pregnancy. I know I need to go to the doctors, it just is a little nerve racking. I've always had a very consistent AF.

If I am pregnant, would it not show up on a test until I was atleast 60 days late? Did I test too early?

• imageLinybee:

I don't chart, I didn't even really know about charting until I stumbled upon TheNest.com. I also don't have a doctor because I don't have insurance. I went to urgent care to get my asthma medication and I don't think that doctor deals with pregnancy. I know I need to go to the doctors, it just is a little nerve racking. I've always had a very consistent AF.

If I am pregnant, would it not show up on a test until I was atleast 60 days late? Did I test too early?

Is there a Planned Parenthood or other such organization in your area that you could get free treatment from? A HPT should work as soon as u miss your period (some work even a few days before your missed period). It is possible to get a "false negative". I would say take another test.

• I agree with PP. Your county should have some sort of health clinic where you can get a blood test to see if you are pg. Also google. the meds you are taking and see if miss period is one of the side effects. GL.
    "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you haven't had a period in 48 days a HPT would come back positive if in fact you were pregnant.  I would suggest reading Taking Charge of your Fertility and going to www.fertilityfriend.com .  There are free tutorials that take you through charting or just tracking your cycles.  It's very simple and it takes about 2 minutes of your time daily.  GL, hope you figure everything out!
  • I'll check into a planned parenthood (the closest one to me is in Raleigh, about an hour and a half away), or maybe see if there are any other places similar to a planned parenthood around me. It sucks not having health insurance and being able to go to the doctor when you need to!
  • Have you had any unprotected sex recently?  Because if you have been having sex with no condoms and no birth control - of course there's a chance that you're pregnant.  That's how pregnancy happens.

I really, truly hope that you are using protection of some sort - not having health insurance or a doctor or your asthma under control puts you in a crappy, crappy place to "accidently" become pregnant.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Every county should have a health dept. 

I strongly recommend reading up on charting using FF or TCOYF.  Get to know your body so you know if you O or not and if you had any unprotected sex if it was even during poss. fertile times.  That way you also know when you period is late.  GL.

Anniversary Baby
  • We haven't had unprotected sex. I stopped birth control in August (because of the cost) but since then, we've been using condoms, and he's been pulling out just to be extra careful. I know it's not 100% safe with condoms but we wanted to use something because we would definitely be in a bad place if I were pregnant.

I also sort of tracked when I was ovulating with a simple calender that I found on the bump.com so we avoided having sex on the days around and on that specific day. 

I was having cramps this morning so maybe my period will come soon? Lets hope. 

• imageLinybee:

We haven't had unprotected sex. I stopped birth control in August (because of the cost) but since then, we've been using condoms, and he's been pulling out just to be extra careful. I know it's not 100% safe with condoms but we wanted to use something because we would definitely be in a bad place if I were pregnant.

I also sort of tracked when I was ovulating with a simple calender that I found on the bump.com so we avoided having sex on the days around and on that specific day. 

I was having cramps this morning so maybe my period will come soon? Lets hope. 

Sounds like it could be on its way, and maybe you just ovulated late so now your period is late as well.  I'm sorry to hear about the no insurance, I know that is a huge struggle! Ditto pp's with checking into your health dept, they usually have low cost or even free clinics for birth control options.

• I do hope that things work out for you and that your period is starting.

If you don't get your period soon, I would definitely look into Planned Parenthood.  They won't turn you away, no matter how little you can afford to pay - you can get a pregnancy test, a check-up to be sure that there's nothing going on health-wise, and maybe even very low-cost birth control. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Women average 28 day cycles but too many are told that cycles are supposed to be 28 days.

48 days is strange but not uncommon especially after going off bcp.  Some girls have 100+ day cycles off bcp and some are clockwork 28-30 days after bcp.  Your luteal phase (days from ovulation until your period) is usually 10-16 days for most women, & this luteal phase rarely differs for an individual between cycles.

I was saying that some doctors won't see you after bcp until you're at CD 60+ but you can call your doc, PP or health clinic to schedule an appointment.  If you have a negative HPT here's the possible scenarios:

1) You are pregnant but it hasn't registered yet on the hpt.

2) You are not pregnant:

• 2a) You have not ovulated yet and may have a 60+ day cycle.
    • 2b) You ovulated very late and will be having your period soon.

Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility from the library and get on fertilityfriend.com for free.  Charting seems daunting at first but it's really just taking your temp each morning & daily checking for underwear/toilet paper for cervical fluid.  It's amazing how the different types of CF tell you where you are in your cycle.  I had no idea about this until I read the book & thought there was something wrong with me.

• This is also my first cycle off bcp.  Today is CD 31.  Based on my CF, I should start my period probably 5-10 days from now (CDs 36-41). 

Temping is tricky for me because I'm laid off.  You are supposed to temp:

• very first thing in the morning (before getting up, bathroom, etc)
    • at the same time (within 1 hour)
    • after 3 hours of consecutive sleep

Some days, I temp at 5:45am when DH's alarm goes off & others it's 8am when my lazy butt gets up.

• Thanks for all the advice so far:)

This morning I spotted a little but as of late this afternoon and on, I haven't bled anymore. If I don't start my period by Monday or Tuesday, I'm going to go to a place I found that does free pregnancy tests here in Fayetteville.  I also will have to check out the Fertility book at the library. My DH will probably freak out;)

Also, I get up at different times each day, so it might be hard to keep track of my temps, but if it keeps me from getting pregnant right now, then that's something I should prob. do!

• Hi... I am not sure if you'll get this message or not since I am late but when I came off birth control I had my normal period after stopping the pills and did not have another one for 150 days!!!! The doctor did a pregnancy test and it was of course negative and then I was diagnosed with PCOS. So, there could be something like that going on... AND, keep in mind that some women don't have normal cycles for a year or more after stopping birth control.

Also, like PPs if getting pregnant now would put you in a bad place, when you go to the place that offers free pregnancy tests, check with them about getting free birth control pills. Many of those places will give them to you free. Then you wouldn't have to worry.

Good luck to you!

• Thanks. I'm going to wait a couple more days because I still haven't started my period but I am going to go somewhere for free (or really cheap) and see what's going on.