May 2006 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Girls who bake...help

Ok, I've got the baking bug and want to make something but I'm stumped.  I was just looking through my cabinets and found 2 cans of pumpkin that I need to use up soon...and in my fridge I have 2 blocks of cream cheese that need to be used up too.  I have the usual flour, sugar, powdered sugar, baking powder/soda, etc. as well.  Any suggestions or recipes you have in mind that will help me use up the pumpkin and cream cheese?  They don't have to used in the same recipe, I just don't want them to go to waste.

Re: Girls who bake...help

• Didn't DrVWife have a yummy pumpkin cheesecake recipe?   Whatever she made for the GTG at Jen's house in October was delicious.
  • I had thought about that, but I don't have a spring-form pan or whatever those things are called.  I did just get a bundt pan for Christmas that I haven't tried out yet.
  • Sounds like you have the makings of a pumpkin roll.  Yum.  Try the Pampered Chef site for bundt pan recipes too.
  • LOL, I thought the same thing Denise...but my sister makes them around the holidays and I actually have one from her in my freezer right now.

Bummer, probably no baking today but at least I used up a box mix from Tastefully Simple.  I'll have to pick up a few more things from the grocery store to use up the stuff I have here.  Thanks for your help though girls.

• here are some recipes in case you get the bug tomorrow.  just a note, i have not tried these recipes so you will have to let me know how they turn out if you end up making any.

Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Muffins

8 ounces cream cheese

3 eggs

2 1/2 cup sugar

2 1/2 cups flour

1/4 cups pecans roughly chopped

3 tablespoons butter (melted)

2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/4 cup solid-packed pumpkin

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

heat oven to 375 degrees.  lightly coat two 12 cup standard muffin tins with oil and set aside.

mix the cream cheese, 1 egg, and 3 tablesppons sugar ina  small bowl and set aside.  toss 5 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup flour, pecans, butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together in a medium bowl and set aside.  combine the remaining sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and remaining cinnamon in a large bowl.  lightly beat the remaining eggs, pumpkin, oil. and vanilla together in a medium bowl.  make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour the pumpkin mixture into the well, and mix with a fork just until moistened.  evenly divide half of the batter among the muffin cups.  place two teaspoonfuls of cream cheese filling in the center of each cup and fill with the remaining batter.  springle some of the pecan mixture over the top of each muffin and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the muffin center comes out clean. bake 20-25 minutes.  cool on wire racks.

this recipe is from country living...each muffin has 202 calories.

• Pumpkin Bundt Cake

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, pluss additional for greasing pan

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour plus additional for dusting pan

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon allspice (or 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cloves)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups solid-packed pumpkin

3/4 cups well shaken buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

3 large eggs

for glaze:

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup powdered sugar

1-3 tablespoons cream or milk

preheat oven to 350.  butter and flour bundt pan.  combine together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in a bowl.  whish together pumpkin, buttermilk, and vanilla in another bowl.

beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3-5 minutes, then add eggs and beat 1 minute.  reduce speec to low and add flour and pumpkin mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture until batter is just smooth. 

spoon batter into pan.  shake a few times to be sre to remove any bumps then bake until a wooden pick insterted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.  cook cake in a pan on a rack 15 minutes, then invert rack over cake and reinvert cake onto rack.  cook 10 minutes more.

to make glaze, heat butter until melted. stir in powdered sugar.  mix in cream or milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. drizzle ovefr cake while it is still on wire rack so excess falls through. 

• google rachael ray's pumpkin whoopie pies...they are absolutely delcious!  if you can't find the recipe, i can post it on here if you want.
  • Those pumpkin cheesecake muffins sound yummy!  Hopefully I'll still have the bug tomorrow because I def. want to try those.  I'll let you know my thoughts if I decide to make them.  Thanks Allie!
  • You could also do the Pumpkin Sandwich Cake from BHG...its yummy.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/layer-cakes/pumpkin-sandwich-cake/