Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Smelly Washer

My washer (top loader) has been starting to smell the last month or so.  I started leaving the lid open but if anything, it has gotten worse.

Has this happened to anyone else?  What can I do??

Thanks!

Re: Smelly Washer

• Can you run a cycle with just bleach? 
  • I've tried bleach and it didn't help.  I've been reading about using a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar.  Maybe I'll give that a try.
  • I have the same problem with my top loader. I run it empty with just hot water and bleach once a month and then clean the rim of it with 409.
  • I don't know if this would work for top loaders or not (I don't see why it wouldn't though) but we use this stuff called Afresh in our front loader. It is a tablet and you just stick it in the washer tub and run the washer on a hot cycle. My washer actually has a clean washer cycle. You can buy it at Home Depot it comes in a 3 pack for like $7.00 and they say to use it once a month.

Also you could try running an empty load with some oxyclean and hot water. Basically oxyclean and Afresh are the samething I remember reading they have the same main ingredient.

• Pour 1 cup of white vineagar into the wash and run through empty.

Will kill all odors.

• this happened to our washer because water was collecting in places it shouldn't and cause the bottom to rust all of which was hidden to the eye. It caused the washing machine to stink like mold and turns out it wasn't spinning correctly so the clothes weren't being cleaned. we had to buy a new one.