Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Water Breaking How long to Wait?

This is probably more of a Bump question, but I'll try here. Thanks for reading and posting.

I am pretty unfamiliar with this topic except for what I have researched online.

I have a good friend who is pregnant with her first baby. Her due date is the 11th, but her water broke on Friday night (3rd). In planning her delivery over the past months, she and her DH decided to go the birthing center, midwife route.

So, she is still at the center and they have not had her go to the hospital. This evening (like in four more hours) will be 48 hours since her water broke.

In reading online, I have learned that it is normal for midwives to not rush women to the hospital if this occurs but to wait it out. They have said that if nothing happens tonight that she will go to the hospital tomorrow at some point.

She has had an otherwise normal and healthy pregnancy.

I'm not the type to rush into medical care of a hospital or anything, but I am worried about her and the baby, since from what I've read most midwives will wait about 36-48 hours. But, if she goes to the hospital tomorrow, she will be well beyond 48 hours. Is this a concern to anyone?

I am curious if anyone else has experience with this.

Re: Water Breaking How long to Wait?

• I was told to go to the hospital immediately if my water broke. It did and I did. Ther is an increased chance of infection once the water breaks. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My mom waited and got an infection so bad I almost died
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friend's water broke early in the morning.  She called everybody and told them she was in labor and on the way to the hospital.  A few hours later, she called to say she had been sent home.  Not water breaking- she peed her pants!

No telling what's actually going on. 

• And why are you again so involved with someone else' life that you are panicking about their labour online? What does this actually have to do with you? She seems to have it covered, no? At the birthing center. Did the classes. With her husband. Has internet access herself. Is at a medical center...

Chronically hilarious - you'll split your stitches!
    I wrote a book! Bucket list CHECK!
  • image Tofumonkey:
    And why are you again so involved with someone else' life that you are panicking about their labour online? What does this actually have to do with you? She seems to have it covered, no? At the birthing center. Did the classes. With her husband. Has internet access herself. Is at a medical center...

"Is this a concern to anyone? I am curious if anyone else has experience with this."

These were my two questions in my OP after I gave background. Hardly any panic or over reation. Just two simple questions.

What's the point of an online forum/community if we don't use it for advice, opinions, and to share experiences?

I don't understand why you get all exercised over my posts. They aren't judgmental, rude, or remotely moved in the direction of panic....they are just asking if others have experience with something and to weigh in with thoughts or opinions.

I have had two children and am pregnant with my 3rd. This is a good friend of mine and it's her first baby. I care about her. In addition, I actually haven't said anything to her about any of this. It's not my place. But, that does not mean I cannot come here to receive input for myself.

Relax.

• Because I find your life absolutely fascinating. I honestly, genuinely do. You get so worked up about things that seem so strange to me, like what food to bring to the funeral (should you go? Should you bring your child? Should you do this and that and this and that?) of your neighbors that you don't know and then give all this back story about how their daughter committed suicide - it's like you keep over-involving yourself in other people's lives and I'm fascinated by it, because it is a very opposite view from mine.

This is not a question about your pregnancy. This is not a question about pregnancy in general, a pondering, a musing. This is not a question about the pregnancy related antics of your sister in law, which would be a question fitting for this particular board. This would not even be a question for the Bump, so much as something you could / should really just google, really.

So many of your posts just seem like you are either completely and utterly bored and are looking to post something dramatic to get things going or they are a completely off the wall "huh?" moment to read.

I'll give you this, your posts aren't rude or judgemental, you are right. They just seem so random and strange, though. Very little to actually do with you, and more about the neighbours and friends that you spy on from your front window kind of thing.

I just find it really odd.

• image Tofumonkey:

Because I find your life absolutely fascinating. I honestly, genuinely do. You get so worked up about things that seem so strange to me, like what food to bring to the funeral (should you go? Should you bring your child? Should you do this and that and this and that?) of your neighbors that you don't know and then give all this back story about how their daughter committed suicide - it's like you keep over-involving yourself in other people's lives and I'm fascinated by it, because it is a very opposite view from mine.

This is not a question about your pregnancy. This is not a question about pregnancy in general, a pondering, a musing. This is not a question about the pregnancy related antics of your sister in law, which would be a question fitting for this particular board. This would not even be a question for the Bump, so much as something you could / should really just google, really.

So many of your posts just seem like you are either completely and utterly bored and are looking to post something dramatic to get things going or they are a completely off the wall "huh?" moment to read.

I'll give you this, your posts aren't rude or judgemental, you are right. They just seem so random and strange, though. Very little to actually do with you, and more about the neighbours and friends that you spy on from your front window kind of thing.

I just find it really odd.

It's only being overly involved when a person actually sticks their nose into someone else's business. Unelss directly asked by these people, in every one of these cases, I keep my mouth shut and MMOB.

But, I do have questions about things I have never seen or faced before. Why can't I come here and ask for opinions and other peoples' perspectives just for my own education? Like I said, it is an online forum where others' ideas and expereinces can be tapped into.

I think you are pointing out that my posts (with the exception of the one about my dad's pending retirement) on FM, tend to be about people I know outside of my family.

There isn't exactly another Board on TN to post about these sorts of relationships, so I post here because it seems to have the best fit.

I guess I don't see why you find this "fascinating." What's the point of a forum if not to chat about the relationships in our lives? I recognize that there are others here who have varying experiences from my own and I like that. I like hearing what they have to say.

• Well, fair enough. You didn't owe me one but I do appreciate hearing your explanation as to why these posts seem so random and rarely involve yourself directly.

To each their own.