Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

If you could start from scratch, where would YOU live?

My husband, almost two year old son, and I are desiring to relocate.  We currently live in a city on the outskirts of Dallas, TX.  Reasons for us for not wanting to stay:

1. weather (heat)

2. social "responsibility" of making a lot of money and having a bigger house

3. not feeling connected to many people

4. not being near water, mountains, etc...and the fact that it takes FOREVER to get anywhere because Texas is so huge!

We are seeking information and suggestions about where to live in the US!  Raising a family, healthy lifestyle, moderate cost of living, great education are important to us... Does anyone have any ideas?  Do you love where you are?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Re: If you could start from scratch, where would YOU live?

• Well, we moved to FL this year and we are going home as soon as we can. Home is Dallas, TX or Collin County to be clear. We have learned that we just love Texas. 
  • image BethanyBU:

My husband, almost two year old son, and I are desiring to relocate.  We currently live in a city on the outskirts of Dallas, TX.  Reasons for us for not wanting to stay:

1. weather (heat)

2. social "responsibility" of making a lot of money and having a bigger house

3. not feeling connected to many people

4. not being near water, mountains, etc...and the fact that it takes FOREVER to get anywhere because Texas is so huge!

We are seeking information and suggestions about where to live in the US!  Raising a family, healthy lifestyle, moderate cost of living, great education are important to us... Does anyone have any ideas?  Do you love where you are?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Wait a minute....I'm curious about the 'social responsibility' of making a lot of money and owning a bigger house? I mean, more money is never a bad thing, obviously because then you could use it towards retirement or buying investment property or taking nice vacations and stuff, and I suppose having a bigger house is not a bad thing either if you genuinely need the extra space, but to do this only because people expect this - well, that's just silly. Unless I was reading into that statement wrong.

Anyway, I live in Long Island and the COL up here is quite high, but the industry I work in is mostly here, and same goes for my H, so we're pretty much here to stay. My family lives in PA (delaware county) and PA is massive, but quite nice, depending on where you live. You have mountains, beautiful parks and forests, good schools (depending on the city) and also depending on where you are, not super far from beaches in Delaware and NJ.

• New York City!!!

Somewhere cool like The Village or on the Upper West Side, not too far from Central Park.

That's where I'd live.  Tons of things to do, you can't beat it for the culture and you'll never be bored.:)
  • I'm over 50 and have traveled a LOT in the USA. I live in Michigan, but that's because family is here.

I would probably suggest checking out aarp.com. Yes, it's for "more mature" people, but they have all types of studies & top 10 lists for desirable places to live, cost of living there, how far your dollar goes, etc.

It's actually a discussion my husband and I have often, since we'll be retired in less than 10 years. We agree we'll probably live near one of our kids, but between us we have 5 and who knows where they'll all be, LOL.

I lived in Massachusetts for 6 years and LOVED it. You could drive in any direction for less than 2 hrs and be at the ocean or in mountains. But, the cost of living is high, and you have to really like snow.

As someone who's worked for over 30 years, I'd probably recommend somewhere that you could both find jobs somewhat easily. Certain areas of the country have concentrated jobs available, ie Silicon Valley for computers & internet, midwest for automotive design, etc. If either of you are in the medical field, college towns usually have great hospitals.

Another observation I have is that in all the years I've been to other cities, I have always found I prefer to live in or near college towns. It keeps you young, they tend to have fabulous restaurants & entertainment (especially if they are in or near a major city).

Also, consider school districts.

Good luck.

• Thank you! Very helpful!  My husband is currently in sales and has a masters in communication...so, I guess that's pretty versatile...depends on the market I'm guessing.  Will definitely check out that website...thanks!
  • I would give my right arm to live in San Diego again. Ocean, mountains, desert in any direction, fun atmosphere. There is nothing like SoCal.
  • I would be ok living in San Fransico. Would much rather there then Chicago (although I've never visited Chicago but these are two places H could possibly get relocated to at some point). 

Honestly I love the Texas hill country (lived in and near Austin for many years). But we are thrilled to be living in Houston. We are apartment people. Where everyone has a house (or thinks we should have a house) we're happy where we are.  

I like Florida but wouldn't really want to live there. And the East coast is very nice but it can be pricy.  

• Maybe Colorado??

It still gets hot in the summer, but maybe less than Dallas.  Could be closer to mountains & lakes depending on where you live.

It's possible to not feel connected to people no matter where you live.  You could move to whatever city got named "friendliest city in the US" and still not feel connected to people there.

I don't understand the part about taking forever to get somewhere because you live in a big state.  Wyoming is a much smaller state than Texas.  You could live in Casper and drive 150 miles to Laramie.  It's shorter than driving 200 miles from Dallas to Austin.  The difference is that even when you get to Laramie, there may still not be anything you want there.  Denver is the closest big urban area to Casper, almost 300 miles away.  So you'd live in a smaller state, but have further to drive when you want to go somewhere.  (Unless, of course, Laramie has whatever it is that you want when you go somewhere.  No offense to Laramie, I've never actually been there, just an example...)

If you want to live somewhere and not have many miles to cover to get to a new state- that'd be New England.  Though you may not cover many miles, it may very well take large amounts of time

Where else have you lived?  In my experience, Texans LOOOOOOOVE Texas, and spend their time in other states trying to figure out a way to get back to Texas.

• image TarponMonoxide:
    New York City!!!

Somewhere cool like The Village or on the Upper West Side, not too far from Central Park.

That's where I'd live.  Tons of things to do, you can't beat it for the culture and you'll never be bored.:)

I was just going to suggest this... it's where I live and I looooove it. It's crazy expensive though. 

• image BeckyOff:

Maybe Colorado??

It still gets hot in the summer, but maybe less than Dallas.  Could be closer to mountains & lakes depending on where you live.

It's possible to not feel connected to people no matter where you live.  You could move to whatever city got named "friendliest city in the US" and still not feel connected to people there.

I don't understand the part about taking forever to get somewhere because you live in a big state.  Wyoming is a much smaller state than Texas.  You could live in Casper and drive 150 miles to Laramie.  It's shorter than driving 200 miles from Dallas to Austin.  The difference is that even when you get to Laramie, there may still not be anything you want there.  Denver is the closest big urban area to Casper, almost 300 miles away.  So you'd live in a smaller state, but have further to drive when you want to go somewhere.  (Unless, of course, Laramie has whatever it is that you want when you go somewhere.  No offense to Laramie, I've never actually been there, just an example...)

If you want to live somewhere and not have many miles to cover to get to a new state- that'd be New England.  Though you may not cover many miles, it may very well take large amounts of time

Where else have you lived?  In my experience, Texans LOOOOOOOVE Texas, and spend their time in other states trying to figure out a way to get back to Texas.

This is all very true.

I agree Colorado is lovely but things are so spread out in its own way. Along with cities being much smaller. Great for nature lovers.

My cousin is the only exception to the TX rule. She HATES it and loves being anywhere else. Although she's really warmed up to the Austin/ San Marcos area.   

• Raleigh/Durham is a nice area. Although we do have similar issues with the heat in the summer months, but probably not as bad as Dallas. 
  • We've talked about this and we would move to North Carolina. We've gone there on vacation several times and we love it, we normally stay in Sunset Beach just north of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. There is lots to do and it's a beautiful place to be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've always wanted to try living in Texas, New Orleans or Alabama for a year. I think it would be an incredible cultural experience.

Chronically hilarious - you'll split your stitches!
    I wrote a book! Bucket list CHECK!
  • Washington DC.

• Maybe less hot?  Haha...yeah, I'd think so with it getting up to 100-110 frequently!  Let me clarify:  Yes, it is the heat, but it is an allergy thing as well.  

I realize it's possible to not feel connected anywhere you live...I'm not completely naive...maybe just a little bit...ha!  I do have a really good friend which I realize is invaluable, but my husband literally has no time to connect with his ridiculous hours.  Whether we move or not, he will change jobs one way or the other...

My parents live in Texas too.  TEN HOURS south.  That's what I mean by it taking forever to get anywhere.  Also, driving somewhere down south, ie Oklahoma because it's "near" is not as appealing to us as the New England area.  

I agree!  New England is a big maybe right now...

I have only lived in Texas.  I'm from the southern tip (basically, Mexico) and went to college in Waco, TX.  My husband grew up in Oklahoma.  Then, we lived up here in Richardson, and now in Allen.  I'm sure there are MANY things people love about Texas, but that depends what's important to you I guess.  Right now, other things are outweighing the positives of Texas for us.  We just want a change.  That's not to say we will never come back...

• By social responsibility, I mean that with the mentality of people we hang out with, whom I have no problems with, are buying bigger houses with their growing families or income.  We are getting the "fever" too though I'm not saying we would!  We just don't like that way of thinking from the MAJORITY of people here that we meet.

Thanks for the other info! 

• I am from Kansas but moved to Portland OR (Well just outside of Portland.) It is the best move I have ever made. I can drive an hour in any direction and hit a Mountain, an Ocean, and a dessert. It has some of the most beautiful views this country has to offer. Also a great place if you like the great outdoors. Sure it rains, but not as much as people like to think. In fact it has been all sunshine the last week. 

• Richmond, VA area or the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

• California! Industry, weather, beauty! Also, fresh produce and all sorts of neat products.

San Diego or the Bay Area.

• I live right outside Philadelphia and love it here.  The city itself is great (certain parts anyway), Jersey shore in an hour and a half away, NYC is a short train ride.  All in all, it's a great area.
  • Oh how badly I wish I lived in West Virginia. I adore that state. But there's no way we could live there because I just do not know what kind of jobs we would be able to find. We were born and raised in western New York and are still here. I absolutely love the area south of Buffalo, almost to PA, but there again I have no Idea what people do for work. 

I can understand feeling a disconnect with an area. My brother lived in Raleigh and insisted I would love it, I have been there a number of times and am not a fan. It's just not for us. So it's definitely possible that there is an area hats just not for you. 

• I grew up in CT. Have lived in Boston, DC, London, San Diego, Panama City, Panama, Okinawa, Texas, Alabama and North Carolina. (Yup, we're military.)

We will live in NC or SC for the long haul.  We love it down here.  Perfect weather, nice people, gorgeous beaches, etc.  We're super happy here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker