Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WIAR: Lauren Graham's novel

Someday, Someday Maybe

First of all, whatever your opinion of Lauren Graham is currently, this book will probably not change it.  The main character is adorable and quirky like Lorelai Gilmore, insecure, but secretly talented, like the character she plays on Parenthood, and clever, but self-deprecating, as she tends to come across in interviews.  It is exactly like what you expect a book by Lauren Graham to sound like.  Which is both disappointing and reassuring.

I am about halfway through now, so I feel like unless she takes a major unexpected turn I'm fairly confident of where this is going.

I have read it described as chick lit, a romantic comedy, a lite read.  These are all true.  It's also sort of a coming of age tale, focusing on the growth that happens in your early twenties when you suddenly have to figure out how to become what you wanted to be when you grew up.  The main character has set a date by which she has to decide whether she is going to be a successful actress or go back home and get a teaching degree.  The problem is that she hasn't really come up with a way to measure success (if she had any, which she doesn't at the beginning), and time is running out.  There's a love triangle coming in the second half, which might be more a love square if you count the absentee boyfriend back home.  I am 85% sure I can predict what's going to happen in the next 100 pages, which makes it entertaining, but less of a page-turner than I'd like.

That said, it is really creepy how true the main character's fears are.  There have been several moments where I've had to put the book down and remind myself that I didn't write it. The way that she overthinks things and dwells and analyzes.... I could see where some readers might find the character annoying, but I just keep going, "yes!  that's exactly what it's like!"  I'm not sure if this proves I'm not crazy or that I really, really am.

As far the writing goes, there have been two or three really awkward similes that make me think, "this is either brilliant, or supremely cheesy." When that happens in my own writing, I generally hit delete.  Since this is a published author, and I am an LG fan, I'm giving her a little more leeway.  There have also been moments where I laughed out loud.  

The layout of the book includes pages from the main character's planner in between some of the chapters, and that has been an interesting way to track time - a few pages show a month where there were lots of auditions and jobs for a week, followed by three weeks with nothing but doodles, grocery lists and exercise logs.  Several chapters also open with answering machine messages from her father, who is trying to be supportive, but doesn't really understand, or from various friends or jobs.

The book is set in 1995, and I can definitely see a younger Lauren Graham playing this character in a movie (I think it is probably at least partly autobiographical).  I would love to read this as an audiobook read by the author.  Overall I'm currently planning to give it 3.5 stars.  It's a cute, quick read.

Re: WIAR: Lauren Graham's novel