January 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mark

Where have you been lately?  We are missing you here.  How is the job hunt?

Thanks for that website on the last post.  It was really helpful.  I am pretty sure that we are making an offer this week.  Big Smile Thanks to you!

Re: Mark

• I'm still here.  Had a few interviews, but nothing that's gone anywhere.  We just laid off another entire team due to the federal budget BS.  Our site is getting picked apart due to the big data center consolidation that DoD is doing right now.  So they're going to be moving all of our stuff to South Carolina, but we're sorta going to be managing it from here.  In the end, makes it a lot easier to replace us.

On top of that, one of the government managers scheduled a call for today at 10.  Really don't want to be a part of it.  Thought the crown replacement was going to get me out of it, but then they rescheduled the damn call for 9am this morning.  I wanted to miss the f'ing call.

I swear, if the market were a lot better and I didn't need the money, I'd walk out right now.  I'm so over this place.  No, I don't want to help the people taking over my job do my job.  They can figure it out for themselves.

Glad your house hunt is going well!  Can't wait until I can start mine.....:)

Sorry for the vent...... 194 days until the next cruise and not soon enough.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've been wondering where you've been. I just assumed that all the pregnancy talk drove you away. :)

Married the love of my life on 1-21-12. Our princess arrived on 5-28-13.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    imageimage"Image">image
  • I think of you every time I see something about the budget cuts. I wish that you were in a place that you could leave, because I know how unhappy you are. Good luck with the call.
    photo sig_zps7d54b52d.jpg

BabyFruit Ticker 

• That sucks about your job.  I would feel the same way about not wanting to help get rid of myself.  Hopefully you can find something else soon.  And yay for your next cruise.  Definitely something to look forward too!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sequestration fun? :P

Where's your next cruise to? Don't you love the countdown? Jared and I are at 84 more days :) Aaaand we upgraded to a balcony. Jared doesn't know yet though. My parents paid for it for a birthday/graduation gift for him. The balcony is his favorite part of the cruise, but he thinks we only have the ocean view ;)

I hope you find a better job soon! Such a downer being stuck in a bad place
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• image TaraW1979:
    I've been wondering where you've been. I just assumed that all the pregnancy talk drove you away. :)

Nah, not away.  I just don't have anything to add to it...Big Smile

• image ImperiumWife:
    I think of you every time I see something about the budget cuts. I wish that you were in a place that you could leave, because I know how unhappy you are. Good luck with the call.

Fortunately, my specific group is isolated from the cuts for right now.  We've already been sliced and diced as much as one can, but the groups that are getting the cuts are people who used to work in our building as well as good friends of mine for all work for the same company.

I hate complaining about it on here because I know there are people who don't have jobs, but this is just a miserable place to be now. Sad

• image shellmaneth:
    That sucks about your job.  I would feel the same way about not wanting to help get rid of myself.  Hopefully you can find something else soon.  And yay for your next cruise.  Definitely something to look forward too!

I've started spending part of my day at work looking at all the jobs sites.  It's sad, but I'm truly over it.

• image Jean9ds:
    sequestration fun? :P

It's all sequestration/continuing resolution related.  Basically nobody in the government is releasing funds to the contractors because nobody knows what is going happen.  Because of that, they can't pay the companies and the companies are just letting people go.

image Jean9ds:
    Where's your next cruise to? Don't you love the countdown? Jared and I are at 84 more days :) Aaaand we upgraded to a balcony. Jared doesn't know yet though. My parents paid for it for a birthday/graduation gift for him.

Alaska. Party!!!

I don't normally cruise in anything less than a balcony.  I want to be able to see the places I'm going.  I hate long countdowns, but if you book way out, you get the best rates.

image Jean9ds:
    The balcony is his favorite part of the cruise, but he thinks we only have the ocean view ;)

You're as bad as I am......
  • image jtmh2012:

image Jean9ds:
    sequestration fun? :P

It's all sequestration/continuing resolution related.  Basically nobody in the government is releasing funds to the contractors because nobody knows what is going happen.  Because of that, they can't pay the companies and the companies are just letting people go.

image Jean9ds:
    Where's your next cruise to? Don't you love the countdown? Jared and I are at 84 more days :) Aaaand we upgraded to a balcony. Jared doesn't know yet though. My parents paid for it for a birthday/graduation gift for him.

Alaska. Party!!!

I don't normally cruise in anything less than a balcony.  I want to be able to see the places I'm going.  I hate long countdowns, but if you book way out, you get the best rates.

image Jean9ds:
    The balcony is his favorite part of the cruise, but he thinks we only have the ocean view ;)

You're as bad as I am......

Oh yes. I would upgrade to a suite if it weren't such a jump up! But at least it's a balcony. An extended, unobstructed view balcony. We're going to Alaska too! What cruise line are you taking and what stops are you making :) 

• image Jean9ds:
    Oh yes. I would upgrade to a suite if it weren't such a jump up! But at least it's a balcony. An extended, unobstructed view balcony. We're going to Alaska too! What cruise line are you taking and what stops are you making :) 

When it comes to suites, I just can't justify it.  Our balcony cabins normally run us about $1200-1300 per person.  Suites on NCL normally start around $2000+ per person for the 7 day cruise.  That's an extra $1400+.  As much as I enjoyed the perks of the suite on our 4-day Bahamas cruise, I wouldn't do it again unless I managed to get a really good price out of it.  Only did it on that cruise because it was only $739 per person.  That said a balcony would have only cost us something like $500 per person.

I did managed to score what NCL calls a mini-suite on this cruise due to a price drop.  There's no suite perks.  Just a few more square feet in the cabin.  Wife would have been happier with me taking the price reduction.

We will be on the NCL Pearl for the Sept 22 sailing.

• Seattle (embark)
    • Juneau
    • Skagway
    • Glacier Bay
    • Ketchikan
    • Victoria, BC, Canada
    • Vancouver, Canada (debark)
  • image jtmh2012:

Only did it on that cruise because it was only $739 per person.  That said a balcony would have only cost us something like $500 per person.

How did you get it for only $739 per person? That's a fantastic price!

image jtmh2012:

I did managed to score what NCL calls a mini-suite on this cruise due to a price drop.  There's no suite perks.  Just a few more square feet in the cabin.  Wife would have been happier with me taking the price reduction.

We will be on the NCL Pearl for the Sept 22 sailing.

• Seattle (embark)
    • Juneau
    • Skagway
    • Glacier Bay
    • Ketchikan
    • Victoria, BC, Canada
    • Vancouver, Canada (debark)

Ours is very similar as yours except coming back to Seattle. We're leaving June 4th

-Seattle (embark)

-Fun Day at Sea

-Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord 

-Skagway, AK

-Juneau, AK

-Ketchikan, AK

-Victoria, Bc, Canada

-Seattle (debark) 

• image Jean9ds:
    How did you get it for only $739 per person? That's a fantastic price!

It was only a 4 day cruise versus a 7 day cruise.  It's also on an older ship which helps as well.

image Jean9ds:
    Ours is very similar as yours except coming back to Seattle. We're leaving June 4th

-Seattle (embark)

-Fun Day at Sea

-Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord 

-Skagway, AK

-Juneau, AK

-Ketchikan, AK

-Victoria, Bc, Canada

-Seattle (debark) 

Looks like you guys are also missing Glacier Bay.  What ship/cruise line?

• image jtmh2012:

Carnival again. Yeah, interesting you get to make that stop and we don't. Did I already ask how much a balcony is for your cruise for the 7 day Alaskan cruise?

• image Jean9ds:
    image jtmh2012:

Carnival again. Yeah, interesting you get to make that stop and we don't. Did I already ask how much a balcony is for your cruise for the 7 day Alaskan cruise?

I keep trying to book a Carnival cruise to nowhere that leaves here locally, but it's just way too expensive.

As for Alaska....$3,360.72 total.  $2,798 for the cruise fare, $394.72 taxes/fees, $168 pre-paid service charges (tips).

Only 2 cruise ships per day are allowed to stop in Glacier Bay per the national park service.  It works on a lottery basis among the cruise lines and those who were allowed visits during the prior season get priority.

For the June, July, and August summer season the quota would be set at 153 use days. The May and September shoulder season quota would be set at 92 use days. The year-round daily quota for cruise ships remains at two per day in accordance with the 2003 VQOR EIS ROD and existing regulations.
  • image jtmh2012:

I keep trying to book a Carnival cruise to nowhere that leaves here locally, but it's just way too expensive.

As for Alaska....$3,360.72 total.  $2,798 for the cruise fare, $394.72 taxes/fees, $168 pre-paid service charges (tips).

Only 2 cruise ships per day are allowed to stop in Glacier Bay per the national park service.  It works on a lottery basis among the cruise lines and those who were allowed visits during the prior season get priority.

Hmm, that's interesting. Oh well, I mean we still get a lot. I've looked at that cruise too! Of course, although our next cruise hasn't even happened, like a true cruise addict, I'm already looking for our next.

For Alaska for us with Carnival: $2,398.00 for cruise fare, $332.56 for taxes/fees, and gratuity/tips we don't pay until the last day of the cruise, but will be about $161, so $2,891.56 total. 

I've considered looking into other cruise lines after this one just to see what's out there, but not sure where to go look next 

• Oh! Mark! Also, have you heard of http://www.redtag.ca ? Jared and I encountered a couple on our last cruise that has travelled on many a cruises and they recommended this site for inexpensive last minute cruises. 

• image Jean9ds:
    Hmm, that's interesting. Oh well, I mean we still get a lot. I've looked at that cruise too! Of course, although our next cruise hasn't even happened, like a true cruise addict, I'm already looking for our next.

For Alaska for us with Carnival: $2,398.00 for cruise fare, $332.56 for taxes/fees, and gratuity/tips we don't pay until the last day of the cruise, but will be about $161, so $2,891.56 total.

I could pay the tips later if i wanted to, but by pre-paying them, it's one less thing on the bill on the way off the ship.  The balcony we were originally in would have been something like $2438 for the cruise fare and there are actually ones at $2398 depending on which category of balcony you wanted.

image Jean9ds:
    I've considered looking into other cruise lines after this one just to see what's out there, but not sure where to go look next

I'm thinking Europe next.  Would love to do a grand med cruise....

• image Jean9ds:
    Oh! Mark! Also, have you heard of http://www.redtag.ca ? Jared and I encountered a couple on our last cruise that has travelled on many a cruises and they recommended this site for inexpensive last minute cruises. 

Not seeing anything on it right now cheaper than Carnival's own site, but I'll keep a look out.

• image jtmh2012:

I'm thinking Europe next.  Would love to do a grand med cruise....

Ooo that sounds fantastic. So far we've done the Mexican Rivera cruise and about to do the Alaskan. I'm thinking the Bahamas next. Or the Europe one does sound nice 

• image Jean9ds:
    Ooo that sounds fantastic. So far we've done the Mexican Rivera cruise and about to do the Alaskan. I'm thinking the Bahamas next. Or the Europe one does sound nice 

We loved the Bahamas.  Would do it again, but there's a world out there to see.  If you stop in Freeport, book an excursion.  There's only a straw market at the port and beyond that, nothing you can get to without some sort of transportation.

What did you think of the Mexican Rivera?  I'm having a hard time getting excited over that one and the Pacific Coastal.  Will probably do them one day, but they're not high on the list.

• image jtmh2012:

We loved the Bahamas.  Would do it again, but there's a world out there to see.  If you stop in Freeport, book an excursion.  There's only a straw market at the port and beyond that, nothing you can get to without some sort of transportation.

What did you think of the Mexican Rivera?  I'm having a hard time getting excited over that one and the Pacific Coastal.  Will probably do them one day, but they're not high on the list.

Honestly, we originally chose that one because since we're in California, Long Beach is the closest port, and getting married in January meant that the Mexican Rivera cruise was the only one available that time of year. BUT that being said, we loved it. We've gone twice now, once for honeymoon then once with the in-laws. I honestly feel like the excursions make it for that cruise. It was 2 days in Cabo and 1 day in Puerto Vallarta the first time and we like Puerto Vallarta better. Cabo we did a sail and snorkel excursion and Puerto Vallarta we did a bike tour the first year and a horse ride the second year. I like wandering at the markets, but I enjoyed the excursions in Mexico. Got us away from the port and the "tourist-y" parts. I loved the excursions and honestly, if we WERE to go back, we'd go parasailing for sure. It was beautiful weather, with a high of 80, which was a nice change from our winter.  It was a nice experience, but I think twice is enough haha. So get excited!

And we're already starting to look at excursions for Alaska. Of course, there are the carnival excursions, but not sure if we should be looking outside of the cruise excursions. In mexico, I didn't feel comfortable walking off the ship and picking a random excursion, probably because it was mexico. BUT in Alaska, I'd feel more comfortable because there isn't the communication barrier. But no idea where to start looking. We're leaning towards a "Bike and Brew" with is another bike tour that ends at a local brewery. And a kayaking excursion. You looking at any yet?

• image Jean9ds:
    Honestly, we originally chose that one because since we're in California, Long Beach is the closest port, and getting married in January meant that the Mexican Rivera cruise was the only one available that time of year. BUT that being said, we loved it.

I certainly can't fault the logic.  Maybe if we ever do it, you guys can come along.  We ended up doing Hawaii as it was pretty much the only nice place we could go that we wanted to go to that wouldn't get my wife deported.

image Jean9ds:
    And we're already starting to look at excursions for Alaska. Of course, there are the carnival excursions, but not sure if we should be looking outside of the cruise excursions. In mexico, I didn't feel comfortable walking off the ship and picking a random excursion, probably because it was mexico. BUT in Alaska, I'd feel more comfortable because there isn't the communication barrier. But no idea where to start looking. We're leaning towards a "Bike and Brew" with is another bike tour that ends at a local brewery. And a kayaking excursion. You looking at any yet?

We've "looked" at excursions, but we're still awhile out, so not making any commitments yet.  My parents want to do a helicopter excursion.

Ship vs. shore excursions really come down to price vs comfort level.  Booking through the ship normally gives you certain guarantees.  Booking direct sometimes gives you a better price.  I've never done a private one, but if I did, I'd make sure I was protected in the event the ship skipped the port for whatever reason if you pre-arranged something.  I'm debating booking the private carriage excursion in Victoria.

I have a bunch of information sent to me by another NCL cruiser.  A lot of it is NCL specific, however, there's a lot of good Alaska/Canada information in it.  I think we're friends on FB if you want to send me an email address, I will forward it to you.

• image jtmh2012:

I certainly can't fault the logic.  Maybe if we ever do it, you guys can come along.  We ended up doing Hawaii as it was pretty much the only nice place we could go that we wanted to go to that wouldn't get my wife deported. 

That sounds fun! We should do a cruise together!  

image jtmh2012:

We've "looked" at excursions, but we're still awhile out, so not making any commitments yet.  My parents want to do a helicopter excursion.

Ship vs. shore excursions really come down to price vs comfort level.  Booking through the ship normally gives you certain guarantees.  Booking direct sometimes gives you a better price.  I've never done a private one, but if I did, I'd make sure I was protected in the event the ship skipped the port for whatever reason if you pre-arranged something.  I'm debating booking the private carriage excursion in Victoria.

I have a bunch of information sent to me by another NCL cruiser.  A lot of it is NCL specific, however, there's a lot of good Alaska/Canada information in it.  I think we're friends on FB if you want to send me an email address, I will forward it to you.

I've looked at that helicopter excursion. Gosh the Alaska excursions are so much more expensive than the Mexico ones. I'm a little too neurotic not to do ship excursions. I could see walking off the ship and maybe choosing a smaller one then, but preorder through a non-ship excursion would make me worry too much. I'd love the information! I'll send you my email address now through facebook. 

I've been putting off getting our passports. Luckily with Carnival and taking closed circle cruises which start and end at the same port and in the US, we only need a birth certificate and ID. I guess getting a passport should be next on the list. I'm sure we'll use it eventually

• image Jean9ds:
    I've looked at that helicopter excursion. Gosh the Alaska excursions are so much more expensive than the Mexico ones.

Yeah, they are.  I think it's because in Alaska they go a lot further from the port and seem to take longer.  At least that's my take on it.  And anything in a helicopter is expensive.  Hawaii was a mix of price ranges and so was the Bahamas when we went.

image Jean9ds:
    I'm a little too neurotic not to do ship excursions. I could see walking off the ship and maybe choosing a smaller one then, but preorder through a non-ship excursion would make me worry too much.

Me too.  The benefit of ship excursions is that usually the ship will wait for you or if nothing else will make arrangements for you to catch up with the ship in the event it has to leave without you.  In certain ports, this is a big plus!

From what I've read though, most of the more reputable tour operators are well aware of when the ships leave and don't want to get a reputation of having people miss their ships.  So it's really the "bus broke down, road washed out, etc" type of reasons that you need to worry about.

image Jean9ds:
    I'd love the information! I'll send you my email address now through facebook.

Sent!

image Jean9ds:
    I've been putting off getting our passports. Luckily with Carnival and taking closed circle cruises which start and end at the same port and in the US, we only need a birth certificate and ID. I guess getting a passport should be next on the list. I'm sure we'll use it eventually

You really should get your passports.  Even if you're going on a closed loop cruise.  Remember, you're leaving the country.  Should something happen, you'll eventually make it home, but it will be a much happier/speedier/cheaper situation if you have your passport on you.

Just think, there were 900 people on the Carnival Triumph who wouldn't have been in a good place had the ship been towed to Mexico.  Not to mention what happens if you miss the ship in a foreign port for whatever reason (accident, poor planning, etc.).  Your next stop will be the USA after a visit to the embassy versus being able to catch up with your ship at the next port.

I've had mine since I met Joy.  It's been well used....Big Smile

• image jtmh2012:

You really should get your passports. 

I knooooooow haha. This summer. I'm typing it out so there will be some peer pressure for the follow through :) 

• image Jean9ds:
    I knooooooow haha. This summer. I'm typing it out so there will be some peer pressure for the follow through :) 

Go!  Go now!

• image jtmh2012:

image Jean9ds:

Go!  Go now!

I don't even know where to start. Which is why I've been putting it off haha 

• A. You both suck for having awesome jet setting lives.

b. getting a passport is super easy. :) 

• image jjbmstinco:

A. You both suck for having awesome jet setting lives.

b. getting a passport is super easy. :) 

A. Come on a cruise with us!! 

B. True, I've just been distracted. I should soon!