Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

any oatmeal lovers?

I eat TJ's Heart Healthy cranberry oatmeal every morning - I freaking love this stuff.  

BUT, I am having some trouble pumping enough and want to try steel cut oats to help boost my supply a little bit.  I've never made them before...anyone have any good recipes?

I assume you make a big batch on Sunday and portion it to reheat each morning? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: any oatmeal lovers?

• Steel Cut oats are HEAR-TY and on their own, taste a little like envelope glue! Stick out tongue  It takes about an hour + to make them, but you definitely need to add some cinnamon and/or honey. I recommend McCann's http://www.mccanns.ie/

You can find the can of them at Trader Joe's or Wegmans. I know McCann's makes an instant version, but I've never had them.  I buy quick oats in bulk from my supermarket. 

I eat oatmeal every day: 1 c. dry oats, mix in about 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (while the oats are dry), add water to create your desired consistency. Microwave 1:45.  I top mine with honey and pumpkin.  This keeps me satiated until 1pm or later most days.

eta: flax seed is supposed to help with supply, so you could add a teaspoon of ground flax seed to your daily oatmeal mixture. You probably don't want to add much more than that b/c it can have a laxative effect, when too much is ingested.

• Crock pot! I'll make this when I have a lot of people staying over or coming over for brunch and then set up a toppings bar.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/overnight_oatmeal.html

I leave out the fruit during the cooking process and add what I want in it to my personal serving. 

P.S. TJ's Cranberry Oatmeal is delicious! 

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • You can also try making lactation cookies. I've never had them but my sister loved to make them while she was nursing.

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I used to eat steel cut oatmeal every morning when I was pregnant because it was a GREAT breakfast with my gd.  I used to just add cinnamon to it.  I made a small portion that would take me about half an hour each morning.

I use quick cooking oats these days and add cinnamon and a teensy bit of brown sugar to make it more palatable.  I imagine you could add berries or some other fruit too!

• I've never had the steel cut oats but I do make oatmeal every morning.  I always use milk instead of water and I'll mix in cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins and either add some cubed apple or bananas and then heat in the microwave for 5 minutes.

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • image NewQueen:
    You can also try making lactation cookies. I've never had them but my sister loved to make them while she was nursing.

I LOVE lactation cookies.  I have some dough in the freezer that I  bake off a little at a time.  They are soooo fattening, though, so I try not to eat them too often...I think like 4 sticks of butter!  

Not very good for the waistline :) 

• Im doing the same thing for the same reasons.

Warning--steel cut oats expand BIG TIME so use a huge pot! Ive never tried it in the crock pot but have heard that its a good option so I might try that this week because Im getting really sick of cleaning up frothy oatmeal water off of my stove. I add cinnamon, brown sugar, crushed nuts, flax seed, and raisins/cranberries toward the end of cooking and then store them in small containers so I can take one to work every day.

Just a PSA for you, dont try coconut water to increase your supply. Its foul. Terrible. Dont do it! Try gatorade or mothers milk tea instead!

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/5tua7b.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/34ik70o.jpg[/IMG]
  • image kross605:

Im doing the same thing for the same reasons.

Warning--steel cut oats expand BIG TIME so use a huge pot! Ive never tried it in the crock pot but have heard that its a good option so I might try that this week because Im getting really sick of cleaning up frothy oatmeal water off of my stove. I add cinnamon, brown sugar, crushed nuts, flax seed, and raisins/cranberries toward the end of cooking and then store them in small containers so I can take one to work every day.

Just a PSA for you, dont try coconut water to increase your supply. Its foul. Terrible. Dont do it! Try gatorade or mothers milk tea instead!

I actually like coconut water!  But not plain...I usually mix it pineapple juice to drink after the gym.

I do drink mother's milk tea but I am not a huge fan...and my coworkers tell me it makes my classroom smell like curry haha.  It's the fennel seed they smell, but it is similar! 

• I'm also working hard to boost my milk supply. I eat the mccanns quick oats a few times a week. I like them with a cut up apple and a little bit of brown sugar. I add the apple in when it's cooking.

i've also been taking motherlove supplements and i made lactation cookies last week. They were basically chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with flaxseed and brewers yeast (the brewers yeast is whst boosts your aupply). They were fattening but yummy...also convenient b/c I often dont have time for breakfast until 11am some days, due to my fussy/refluxy newborn! I'm going to make some bran/banana muffins this weekend. You can make anything into "lactation" snacks...just add brewers yeast & flaxseed!

My Boys

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d9vkzn.jpg[/IMG]
  • I don't think you need to buy the McCann's- steel cut oats are a commodity- one brand is as good as another. I buy prepackaged "no name" oats at Tanner's in Richboro. You can shorten the cook time by soaking overnight.

I like the Alton brown Recipe- like dessert.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/index.html