Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cleaning a microwave?

We just bought a house, and th microwave is one of those in-the-wall units.  It is about 10 years old, works ok, but has a horrible odor and lots of stains,  I have tried Clorox wipes, and scrubbing bubbles kitchen, both of which just bring out the odor even worse and they don't even touch the stains.

Any ideas?  Bleach?  A vinegar?  

Re: Cleaning a microwave?

• easiest best simple trick ever. Heat up water in a bowl in the microwave, then use vineger on a cloth/paper towel to clean once theres condensation from the water covering the whole inside of the microwave.

That should help with the stains and the smell, you could try bleach too, but if the smell is still strong then its probably not in the 'shelf' of the microwave, but is within the microwave itself, in which case its probably just time to buy a new one...they do wear out.

• That's what I am worried about.. But it's a built in model, so it's a little trickier than just buying a new one.  But at this rate I think we might be stuck replacing it anyway.
  • image toothpastechica:

easiest best simple trick ever. Heat up water in a bowl in the microwave, then use vineger on a cloth/paper towel to clean once theres condensation from the water covering the whole inside of the microwave.

I do this, and it works really well.  I usually throw in some dish soap into the bowl of water. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit Fall.weddings.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image toothpastechica:

easiest best simple trick ever. Heat up water in a bowl in the microwave, then use vineger on a cloth/paper towel to clean once theres condensation from the water covering the whole inside of the microwave.

I do this also, but put the vinegar in the bowl with the water, along with the sponge in the bowl. Heat it all in the microwave for a minute, then scrub it with the sponge that was in the water. Eats away at the smell, and the heat helps any gunk loosen.

TTC since 1/13  DX:PCOS 5/13 (long, anovulatory cycles)
    Clomid 50mg 9/13 = BFP! EDD 6/7/14 M/C 5w6d Found 11/4/13
    1/14 PCOS / Gluten Free Diet to hopefully regulate my system. 
    Chemical Pregnancy 03/14
    Surprise BFP 6/14, Beta #1: 126 Beta #2: 340  Stick baby, stick! EDD 2/17/15
    Riley Elaine born 2/16/15

TTC 2.0   6/15 
    Chemical Pregnancy 9/15 
    Chemical Pregnancy 6/16
    BFP 9/16  EDD 6/3/17
    Beta #1: 145 Beta #2: 376 Beta #3: 2,225 Beta #4: 4,548
    www.5yearstonever.blogspot.com 
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image brij2006:
    image toothpastechica:

I do this also, but put the vinegar in the bowl with the water, along with the sponge in the bowl. Heat it all in the microwave for a minute, then scrub it with the sponge that was in the water. Eats away at the smell, and the heat helps any gunk loosen.

Just another variation of the same idea LOL. I mix one cup water and one cup vinegar.Run the microwave for 5 minutes and then just wipe everything off with a wet sponge. I just found this idea on pinterest a couple months ago and I can't believe how easy it was! And was kind of annoyed at all the effort I've put into cleaning the microwave in the past! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • Ok best trick ever!! Get a coffee mug or bowl..... fill with about 1 cup of water. Take 1/2 a lemon and squeeze the juice into the water. Microwave for about 3 min.... wipe clean. Works AMAZING!!!
  • I've seen the lemon juice idea but no water (i think) and add baking powder. The soaked baking powder acts as a gentle abrasive