Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bathroom odor

Since we have moved in together, I notice that the bathroom toilet area always has a slight odor to it. I clean the bathroom a few its a week, but it is still there. (It just smells like a man's bathroom) Any ideas on how to get rid of the odor? 

Re: Bathroom odor

• What cleaning products do you use? I clean my bathroom everyday. At least spray the sink down, mirror and toilet. I usually use any products by Clorox or Lysol. Try spraying the toilet with Scrubbing Bubbles and uses a scrub brush to clean it. Maybe put one of those instant toilet bowl cleaners in it (you know the ones that hook on the side of the toilet).

I'd say just try to clean it everyday and see if that helps.

• It may be that his pee it sprinkling or splashing on the walls behind or beside the toliet and you may be missing this while cleaning the rest of the bathroom!

Mrs. Normandeau
  • I've been having the exact same problem. If you do find something that works for you, I'd love to hear about it.
    Team Green to Team Pink! Baby A born
    Here comes 2u2! Team Green to Team Blue! Baby L born
  • There could be a problem in the drainage system where the odor is still there due to some clog or mistake in the way the drain is set up. You need to check if that is the problem. If the drain is the culprit then generally the smell comes after you flush the toilet it leaves the gases outside in your bathroom.
  • image selenavaz:
    There could be a problem in the drainage system where the odor is still there due to some clog or mistake in the way the drain is set up. You need to check if that is the problem. If the drain is the culprit then generally the smell comes after you flush the toilet it leaves the gases outside in your bathroom.

This or your SO is not getting the pee in the bowl. 

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/des47b.jpg[/IMG]
  • I would try wiping the entire toilet down with a sponge/cloth soaked in diluted bleach. Does the toilet seat itself stink after cleaning? It could be that it's absorbed the smells and needs to be replaced. Your toilet shouldn't be stinking until after two weeks of no cleaning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• I have the same issue. My townhouse is rented and the people who lived here before smoked. They painted and changed the tub and the floors when we moved in last year but I STILL smell something and I'm not sure its the leftover smoke or what. I do have a 7yr old son who 'seemed' to be aiming well in the toilet but I actually bleached down the wall beside the toilet and figured out he was missing lol but again, thats not what I'm smelling! Its driving me crazy.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My bathroom had a musty smell to it. Name brand cleaners didn't help me at all, pretty frustrating. Now I mainly clean it with dawn soap and vinegar. Vinegar has been a lifesaver, it really absorbs the odor.
    09/12- Dx PCOS; currently taking Metformin 1500mg.
    10/12-Married my best friend
    <a href="http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/AnnieLuv_2007/?action=view
  • I live with three boys...when I start to notice a bathroom odor (and sadly this happens more frequently then i'd like) I go in attack mode, ha!  I wash the shower curtain (I have witnessed my son turn to look at something while peeing and hitting the curtain).  I clean the obvious, toilet, under the toilet etc.  Then I take tilex and deep clean around the base of the toilet, and all the grout on the bathroom floor.  Takes some time but for days my bathroom smells nice and clean, like bleach :)   
  • You might want to have some one check if there is mold in behind the walls or sink area. It could be that.

That was for pinitbaby, Sorry I couldn't delete and quote. :) Though maybe it'll come in helpful for someone else.

• Just another idea:

The wax ring may need replacing. If the seal is broken/old, it can smell funky. We always replace all our wax rings and toilet seats when we move in to a new home.

If it is what you think it is, are they completely resistant to sitting when they pee or cleaning up after themselves? Especially the adult males. I cannot imagine my DH making me clean up after him.