Last week my 1999 Honda CR-V started acting up. It was jerking, shaking, and the engine light was on. I took it to my uncle who's a mechanic and he said that the 3rd cylinder wasn't firing and that all it needed was some plugs and wires...basically a tune up. My mom had a 1999 Honda CR-V and it had this same issue about a year before it died completely. My uncle and dad said that it's similar to what it did but this should fix it...but now it's in the back of my head that it may only be a matter of time until it does it again or dies completely. I recently got a raise at work and plan on doubling up on a small school loan to get it paid off by the end of Dec. I still have a student loan for $50,000 but it will be a huge relief to get the smaller of the two loans paid off. However, I was thinking instead of doubling up on payments for school, maybe I would just buy a car. My car is running fine now and is in good condition. My husband thinks I could get maybe 3k-4k on a trade. Or do I want to focus on paying off my school loan and then see about buying a car in January at the start of the new year. BUT on the other hand, we have been hoping to buy a house around this time next year and I worry about buying a car and having that debt on top of my school loan debt. Our original house plan was that I'd pay off the first bit of my student loan and what little I have on my credit card. I don't currently have a car payment so that's a huge help. My husband has a car payment and has a small amount of student loans to pay. Ideally I know the best answer would be to just make do with my car until we can see how much we qualify for buying a house, but I'm worried that the longer I wait the less I will be able to get on a trade...my real fear is that my car will die completely and I won't be able to trade it for anything and I'll be forced to buy something to get by rather than something I really want. This is a whole lot of if's and but's but just wondering if anyone could give their outside opinion on this. My husband thinks I should wait until January and look for a new car to trade mine in on...but I don't want to screw us up on how much we can qualify for on a house. Thanks!!