Buying A Home
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Building a home/ selling a home

At what point should you recruit a lawyer?  Should a lawyer check over all contracts including the one to sell your home?

Re: Building a home/ selling a home

• If you are using an accredited real estate agent, all forms come from (generally) the bar association. You can always employ an attorney but that will be added cost since you will have to pay them hourly.

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • I would never buy/sell a house without an attorney!  Real Estate people are NOT lawyers.

• What exactly would be the purpose of having an attorney? I am a realtor and I've never had an attorney involved in a transaction. I do over 5m in production as a part time agent. None of my collegues do as well. Maybe every state is different, like I know Illinois involves attorneys but at what capacity I do not know.
  • They usually check over all the documents before signing to protect the client.
  • I guess I can see that. But licensed REAs are obligated to use state bar forms, drafted by attorneys. The explanation of the forms and filling in the blanks are all a part of being licensed.
  • Contact a lawyer when you begin.  They will help you long after the transaction has occurred, because that's who you will want to go to if anything else goes wrong.  We had a burst pipe shortly after we moved into our new home, so I'm not sure how we would have proceeded without our lawyer.  
  • We didn't have a lawyer involved until closing, at which point he looked after the actual transfer of the property from the seller to us, and getting all the necessary paperwork signed (that happened before closing, actually, so that he could have everything in place on closing day).
    Life is good today.