Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WIJFR: Please Stop Laughing at Me (ns)

I have had this book on my TBR list for a long time... I decided to use it for SuBC as my "Read a book that intimidates you for whatever reason." I've been putting off this book for a long time because even though I was only slightly bullied in 6th grade, it hasn't been a book that I was anxious to read. I guess I was scared of reading this book and being reminded of what kids used to say to me. I was worried that this book would leave me feeling depressed. Sure enough I was in tears though most of this book, but I feel relieved after finishing it (BTW: this is a really quick read... I started and finished in one sitting without getting out of my chair). The author tells her story of being bullied, which is much worse than anyone I know. Somehow her story was still inspiring, and it makes me want to do more about what I witness as a high school teacher. I see kids being bullied on occassion, but I know it happens outside the classroom even more often. Our school hasn't done a whole lot to bring awareness to bullying, but I really wish they would. If anything this book has taught me to be more involved when I notice bullying in my classroom or in the hallways.  

BabyFruit Tickerimage

Mr. and Mrs. est. September 6, 2008 Expecting Baby #1 October 1, 2013

Re: WIJFR: Please Stop Laughing at Me (ns)

• I read that one a long time ago, so my memories aren't completely clear.  I do remember that I wished she had written more about what could be done to solve the problem, and also that it was heartbreaking.  It's great to hear that teachers are reading it.  A more recent book on the topic that might appeal to your students is Dear Bully.  It's a compilation by YA authors who either were bullied or bullied themselves and it's really good.
    image image image
  • image julie37619:
    I read that one a long time ago, so my memories aren't completely clear.  I do remember that I wished she had written more about what could be done to solve the problem, and also that it was heartbreaking.  It's great to hear that teachers are reading it.  A more recent book on the topic that might appeal to your students is Dear Bully.  It's a compilation by YA authors who either were bullied or bullied themselves and it's really good.

I do know she wrote another book called "Please Stop Laughing at Us... One Woman's Extraordinary Quest to Prevent School Bullying." According to her website she tours the country and has several dates lined up next month for teacher training. I'm assuming that book goes into more detail about what teachers and adults can do to help.

Thanks for the suggestion for Dear Bully. The list of authors who contributed stories sounds really great.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

Mr. and Mrs. est. September 6, 2008 Expecting Baby #1 October 1, 2013

• Like Julie, I read that book years ago and can't remember specifics. I do remember finding it informative. It was among a large group of books I read when I decided I wanted to have a job that involved helping kids. When I was in high school, I actually did a schoolwide survey on bullying. After I graduated, some students in the gifted program used my data to implement some kind of program against bullying.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image