Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

italy tour--operator bankrupt, new arrangements

Hi! I rarely post, but I'd be grateful for any help.

DH and I were booked on a tour to Italy.  I received notification this morning that the tour operator is in bankruptcy and that the tour will not occur.  I have submitted a claim to the travel insurance company and called the cc company.  The cc said they will dispute the charge.  Is there anything else I should do? Our airline tickets are outside all of this.  I think they would qualify under the travel insurance, but the cost of the tickets and tour would exceed the maximum insurance amount pp and therefore equal no refund.  I haven't cancelled them yet.

We are considering keeping the airline tickets and just making our own arrangements otherwise.  W were going 13 days at the end of August.   The reimbursement of the tour cost would be $5k, so that's what we're looking at for accomodations, etc.  Suggestions/advice? TIA. 

Re: italy tour--operator bankrupt, new arrangements

• we can help you :) which cities are you flying into and out of? are you booked into any specific hotels? are those reservations still good because of tour op or do you ahve to find new ones? do you have any reservations or paid tickets to anything?
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Thanks! We're flying to and out of FCO and have no other prepaid tickets or accomodations.  I've been to Italy before and seen Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Naples.  DH has not.  He definitely wants to see Rome and Pompeii.  Other stuff is optional.  The tour included all the major stops ie Florence, Venice, Sienna, etc.  DH hasn't traveled a lot and wanted a tour b/c he didnt' want to navigate independently via rail, car, etc.  I've traveled a bit more and think we could manage public transportation but am not sanguine on international driving.  It scared me when I was there before.  I'd be open to apartments but haven't done that before and don't know a reputable company to go through. 
  • well dont worry. pompeii is close to rome and there are many reputable compaies that can take you if you dont want to go alone. i've used walks of italy for the vatican and a friend of  mine just used them for the same, the colisseum, the forum, a florence walk and a day trip to san gimignano and siena.

so focusing on rome and florence-there is a 90minute train direct from rome to florence. it's pretty inexpensive, you can purchase tickets in rome at either a travel agent or at the train station. you prepay and get assigned carrage and seats so no worry about not getting a seat.

so why not do this? split the time between either rome and florence and take a few day trips to the surroundign areas? on our 2nd trip to florence in 2010 we hired a driver to take us out for the day (many days) to different areas that way we didnt have to worry about driving after wine tastings or getting lost. it will cost you but imo it was worth the extra as compared to driving (and parking!!).

i realize he didn't want to do independently by rail but seeing the situation I think you should keep your tickets and just split between the 2. perhaps save venice for another time to ease his not wanting to do by train alone.

when are you supposed to travel?

the good news-the euro just hit an all time low!!

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Your suggestion is a distinct possibility.  Where did you acquire your driver? Did you do it when you were there or before?

8/23-9/5.

• it was so easy for the driver. i emailed the hotel before we got there (a month or 2 away i guess) and asked if they could recommend one. and they did. and it worked great!!

you can also check tripadvisor.com  there are a ton of great reviews.

• image leela1414:
    but haven't done that before and don't know a reputable company to go through. 

First of all, I am so sorry you have having to deal with this! But you'll find lots of helpful people on this board!

We were in Rome last September and used a company called Rental In Rome for an apartment rental which we had an awesome experience with. They contract with dozens and dozens of different apartments in Rome so you should have no issues finding a place to stay.

I have multiple entries in my travel blog on Italy if you would like more information:

Venice, Italy (Accommodation & Dining)

• Thanks.  I read through a few of those previously.  I'm going to peruse the rest tonight.  I think we've decided to take the suggestion above and do Rome and Florence.  I'm definitely going to check out those apartments.  Here's hoping they have something on such short notice. 

I appreciate everyone's help today.  You've been great.

• image leela1414:

Thanks.  I read through a few of those previously.  I'm going to peruse the rest tonight.  I think we've decided to take the suggestion above and do Rome and Florence.  I'm definitely going to check out those apartments.  Here's hoping they have something on such short notice. 

I appreciate everyone's help today.  You've been great.

Great!! please come back and let us know how the planning's going, if you have questions and most importantly-after you come back how it went :) what a crappy situation but you'll definately make the best of it!!