Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

to keep or not to keep...

I cleaned out closets and boxes when I packed to move and as I unpack I am doing the same, I mean I cleaned my closet and found at least 6 winter coats for myself, all the same thickness... I was kicking myself for the money I have spent over the years. So as I am cleaning and packing/unpacking my mom and dad are packing to move to FL from NC where my husband and I live. Which means the items I have stored at her house over the years are getting dropped at my house. One of these items is my wedding dress from two months ago. I have looked at the trash the dress sessions and thought about selling it or getting it preserved. What did everyone else do with your dress? I am not attached to it like I am with other items in my house/closet, but I feel kind of like I am supposed to keep it. 

Re: to keep or not to keep...

• I had mine cleaned and preserved...but it was only $100.  I purchased the kit when I purchased my dress fro $99 at DB.  I wish I had done a Rock the Dress photo session...I would have loved to have had more good formal and fun shots of the 2 of us in different places.  Ex. at the lake, at our cabin, on the 4 wheeler, etc.
  • I haven't done anything with my dress either and we were married in November.  I'm going back and forth between keeping it or donating it to charity.  I'm curious to hear what everyone has done with their dress.
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I had mine cleaned and left it in a garment bag for 3.5 years. I had my son in Nov '11 and my mil made his baptism outfit out of it this past January. I kept what material was left (which is a lot) and will have her make another outfit or blanket when/if we have another child. It was a nice way to keep the dress without really keeping it, y'know? :D
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i've gone back and forth on this so many times too. i've decided to donate mine to charity because i don't need another thing collecting dust in my closet. i thought of trash/rock the dress pics too, but i'd hate to see my beautiful dress ruined like that. i'd rather someone else get to enjoy it like i did on their special day, it will help out a charity in need, and hey, it's a tax write off :)
  • image NiknTrev:
    I had mine cleaned and left it in a garment bag for 3.5 years. I had my son in Nov '11 and my mil made his baptism outfit out of it this past January. I kept what material was left (which is a lot) and will have her make another outfit or blanket when/if we have another child. It was a nice way to keep the dress without really keeping it, y'know? :D

aww!  that is such a sweet idea, i'll have to remember this when we start making babies :)

• image Osterizer:
    I haven't done anything with my dress either and we were married in November.  I'm going back and forth between keeping it or donating it to charity.  I'm curious to hear what everyone has done with their dress.

Same goes for me. I was married in October.

I am leaning toward keeping it and using the material as a christening dress. 

• I love the idea of a christening gown, but we saved all the ribbon from my bouquet and the florist had given us a bunch of extra so we saved that to use. I don't really want to keep the giant dress in my small closet but the idea of chopping it up now kind of bothers me, on top of the fact that we aren't sure we can even have children, I have some health issues. I love the idea of a trash the dress with my hubby but we don't want to trash his suit. Has anyone done a trash the dress session? How ruined did the dress get?
  • I sold mine on CL for $50.
  • image DanniLynn88:
    I love the idea of a christening gown, but we saved all the ribbon from my bouquet and the florist had given us a bunch of extra so we saved that to use. I don't really want to keep the giant dress in my small closet but the idea of chopping it up now kind of bothers me, on top of the fact that we aren't sure we can even have children, I have some health issues. I love the idea of a trash the dress with my hubby but we don't want to trash his suit. Has anyone done a trash the dress session? How ruined did the dress get?

I am planning on doing a TTD session. I have talked with both people at the salon, people who have done TTD and photographers. Everyone says similar things...if you do a rock the dress (not really dirty, just interesting) it doesnt get wrecked, if you do a TTH in fresh water, it can be cleaned and comes out fine, same with dry dirt or sand. However, if you get mud on it, your hooped, was what I heard, so I am planning on a TTD then getting it cleaned and then donating it either to charity or I personally know some engaged people who cant afford a dress so I have offered use of it to any of them if it fits/if they have the money to get it altered - first to say they want it for sure gets it (I'm kinda excited it might end up being sort of a community dress!)

• I am donating mine to Brides Across America. It's a charity that gives wedding dresses to military brides.  I really don't want it hanging around because then I'll keep it forever for no reason at all.  I have the wedding pictures and that's all I really need. Plus, I thought that way someone else is getting use out of the dress I loved!
  • If you decide to keep it, this is a great kit for preservation.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ugh

and I also have my grandmothers wedding dress.  Just can't part with it.