Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Opposing political beliefs..

Do you think that it is important to agree politically? I tend to be more liberal while he tends to be more conservative. I like to have intellectual discussions but sometimes he shuts down. I admit that I do sometimes cut him off but am getting a lot better about this. All I want him to be able to do is have a rational discussion. What do you think? Anyone else have a spouse with opposing political beliefs?

Thanks!

Re: Opposing political beliefs..

• Also, we rarely get into fights over anything but this topic. And recently the wedding :) (we are engaged). But that's to be expected at some points I think.
  • I got so irate over a political discussion with Mr. Kuus once that I threw a spoon at the wall and bent it.

I do consider us to be happily married, though.  We've been together for 13 years.

• My DH and I are very different in our polical stances....we have been together 14 years and married almost 7.   We voted along different party lines in the last election.   I think as long as you agree to disagree it totally can work.  Now if my husband had different views on moral issues I consider important and might affect our marriage, then that would be a different scenario. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • srgwsrgw member
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    H and I agree to disagree on political stuff. I figure as long as we agree on moral and religious beliefs, the rest is water under the bridge.
  • aww dont worry about it, my fiance and i dont always agree. he likes to pretend like he is a conservative, until i hit him with brilliant logic and he realizes that im always right. he is also religious, I am not. I dont believe in god, but we have had some very long, deep, and meaningful discussions about his beliefs and my non beliefs. Its all about respect.

You think your political beliefs are right (which they are ;-) he thinks his are right ( Which they arent ;-) ).... just be happy knowing you are the smarter one

hehehe
  • My Aunt and Uncle have completely different political beliefs. Always have and always will. Politics is very rarely brought up in the house. When it is they smile nod and the subject is quickly changed. They have been happily married for 25 years. Their two children have opposite views too. One Democrat the other Republican. The kids are both in college and came to these beliefs on their own.

As long as you have respect and are willing to have a lively discussion about the subject (without it getting heated and hearing each other out before talking) you will be just fine. Not saying you can't get all rilled up now and again but not all the time.

H and I have different religious beliefs and have been happily together for 10 years. We agree on everything else but respect this one difference.  

• I think it's vital to have similar moral views as your spouse.  Especially if you are going to have children, you need to agree on what you are going to teach them is the difference between right and wrong.  For most couples, I think this leads them to similar political positions, but that isn't always the case.  I don't know what issues are near and dear to your heart, but imagine many years from now you find out your son is gay.  Or your daughter is pregnant and wants an abortion.  How would your FI react to that news?  Is that the father you want for your children?  If neither of these issues is near and dear to your heart and you disagree on, try to imagine how an issue that was might impact your lives together someday.  Can you live with that difference?  Whether or not you vote for for the same person doesn't matter that much (how many people ever truly like any of the candidates? And marrying him or not isn't going to change the outcome of any election), but how that reflects on your personal life matters a great deal.  

• image sillygoosegirl:

I think it's vital to have similar moral views as your spouse.  Especially if you are going to have children, you need to agree on what you are going to teach them is the difference between right and wrong.  For most couples, I think this leads them to similar political positions, but that isn't always the case.  I don't know what issues are near and dear to your heart, but imagine many years from now you find out your son is gay.  Or your daughter is pregnant and wants an abortion.  How would your FI react to that news?  Is that the father you want for your children?  If neither of these issues is near and dear to your heart and you disagree on, try to imagine how an issue that was might impact your lives together someday.  Can you live with that difference?  Whether or not you vote for for the same person doesn't matter that much (how many people ever truly like any of the candidates? And marrying him or not isn't going to change the outcome of any election), but how that reflects on your personal life matters a great deal.  

THIS. Definitely.

I'm lucky that my H & I have similar views....his parents on the other hand....complete opposite of anything I hold near and dear as far as political and even some moral beliefs. I find myself biting my tongue quite a bit when my FIL starts on one of his rants. Should be interesting when we have kids because I don't want them being around some of the hateful stuff my inlaws say. Will cross that bridge when the time comes though ;) 

• In my own situation, our polar opposite politics have resulted in some heated arguments and some very, very hot sex. Opposites attract ;)