January 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I still have health insurance!

The health insurance law has passed, which means I don't have to go out an get a horrible job to pay for health insurance.
photo sig_zps7d54b52d.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFruit Ticker 

Re: I still have health insurance!

• You must be younger than 26, correct?

I wonder what this means for me. If I don't get hired for a teaching job I will be buying my own insurance plan. Will that be cheaper now? I hope so!

Married the love of my life on 1-21-12. Our princess arrived on 5-28-13.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    imageimage"Image">image
  • well, the mandate part doesn't go into effect until 2014. So you still have a while.

Both H and I are under 26. I was really concerned because I just had an MRI on Monday for a compressed disk in my back. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• I'll be interested to see what the rates are for people who don't have a job or for people who can't get insurance through their job. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It will also be interesting to see if they reduce the rates for those who dont have jobs or dont have jobs that offer benefits to see what the cost would be. I suspect there would be quite the backlash if those premiums ended up being less expensive than what working people have to pay. I wonder if something like that would push employers to pay more of the premium and reduce the cost for the employee.
    Lilypie - (2f9f)Lilypie - (y2el)
    Daisypath - (30fE)

• image TaraW1979:
    You must be younger than 26, correct?

I thought you had to be a dependent of the insured (ie. like an adult child) to be covered by the up to 26 coverage?  I wouldn't think a married couple could still be considered a dependent of their parents?

• I'm not sure if the health care dependent status will be the same as the tax laws, but even as a married couple, if the adult child is a student and a majority of their support is from their parents, the parents can still claim the adult child as a dependent.  But the married couple can't file a joint return, they would have to file separately.  I might have totally messed up that explanation.  We recently learned about this in our income tax class.  I'm still learning here.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image shellmaneth:
    I'm not sure if the health care dependent status will be the same as the tax laws, but even as a married couple, if the adult child is a student and a majority of their support is from their parents, the parents can still claim the adult child as a dependent.  But the married couple can't file a joint return, they would have to file separately.  I might have totally messed up that explanation.  We recently learned about this in our income tax class.  I'm still learning here.

Nope. That is pretty good explanation, Michelle. I'm not sure if I could have done it better.  As long as my parents are still supporting me, which they are, they can keep me under their health insurance until I am 26.

I did hear that one of the stipulations is that you don't have the tax if the only policy you can buy is more than 8% of your monthly income. Which to me, seems like that would be the case for a lot of working people right now. 

BabyFruit Ticker