Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need advice for carry-ons for Italy trip

FI and I are getting married in 12 days (yikes!) and immediately leaving for our honeymoon in Italy.  We leave from Detroit, to Newark, to Lisbon, Portugal, to Rome.  Leave from Venice and make the reverse trip back.  We are going to be gone for 2 weeks, and wanted to do carry-on ony because of the multiple layovers and and (relative) ease of traveling through Italy with smaller baggage.  We are staying in two apartments with laundry during the first week and a half, so we planned on doing at least one load of laundry.

However, it appears that TAP only allows apprx 13 lbs each for carry-on.  I havent' weighed my luggage, but I'm sure it could easily be over that with all of our crap in them.  FI is now talking about checking a bag.  What advice do you have?  Check a bag? Pair down the stuff we bring? It's ok to go little over because they won't check?  TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Need advice for carry-ons for Italy trip

• they probably will check the weight and size of carry on.

not sure what else you can do besides check a bag. you will have laundry facilities though so you could conceiveably pack onyl enough for 3 days under 13 lbs and then just do laundry every 2 days....

are you able to check your bag in at detroit and then have it checked all the way through to rome? i also have to wonder why not just get adirect flight from newark to rome? or jfk? there are tons.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Our flight itinerary is what it is.  It was the best price I could get at the time, and I can't change it at this point.  Checking directly to Rome may be worth looking into though.
  • yes-you dont want to have to go to each airport, collecty your luggage, recheck and then go through all of that every time you land. it will take forever and be a mess.

13 lbs is tough though. dh and i did 19 nights in italy last year and it was tough keeping within a 40 lb limit of checked for our inter-italy flight. we didnt pack much but we needed layers as we were in tuscany (chilly) and sicily (hot).

you may also want to consider shipping your luggage there and then home if it's that much of an issue.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • We are facing the same dilemma on our flights from LAX to Rome.  We booked with Air Berlin due to pricing and now are somewhat regretting it with all the "extras" we are getting assessed for. 

As we will be gone for 2 weeks as well and with long (22+ hour) layovers in Berlin and Dusseldorf, we were going to take a carry-on each and check a bag for free with their service card membership which we bought - gave us lots of perks and such.  Anyway, our carryon limits are the same - 13# each or $75 to check the bags.  I am crossing my fingers we get by without having to check them.  In addition, originally we were told we did not have to claim  our large piece of luggage we are checking in Berlin or Dusseldorf as they will check it all the way through.  Over the weekend I was told that was incorrect and we would have to claim the piece. Frustrating!!

Unfortunately we will not have access to laundry facilities except on the cruise and I am not sure I want to do laundry while on vacation.  So ..... if you come up with ideas on packing and the carry on, let me know :)

Kim wedding countdown
  • image Mrs.BFinally:

We are facing the same dilemma on our flights from LAX to Rome.  We booked with Air Berlin due to pricing and now are somewhat regretting it with all the "extras" we are getting assessed for. 

As we will be gone for 2 weeks as well and with long (22+ hour) layovers in Berlin and Dusseldorf, we were going to take a carry-on each and check a bag for free with their service card membership which we bought - gave us lots of perks and such.  Anyway, our carryon limits are the same - 13# each or $75 to check the bags.  I am crossing my fingers we get by without having to check them.  In addition, originally we were told we did not have to claim  our large piece of luggage we are checking in Berlin or Dusseldorf as they will check it all the way through.  Over the weekend I was told that was incorrect and we would have to claim the piece. Frustrating!!

Unfortunately we will not have access to laundry facilities except on the cruise and I am not sure I want to do laundry while on vacation.  So ..... if you come up with ideas on packing and the carry on, let me know :)

yes you will. it's called a sink and a tide pack :)  dh and i do thsi on pretty every vacation we take. it's so easy!! get yourself some smallpacks of tide or woollite or whatever and do 2 small sink loakds of laundry-one for each of you. it's easier than you think and saves a TON of hassle.

and you will only be in rome for 3 nigths after right? do your laundry on the 2nd to last day o the cruise and you wont have to in rome.

• It's pretty roasty toasty right about now, so honestly, I'd skip anything that's not seriously light (linen or cotton).  Trust me, over air conditioning won't be a problem :).  

The next weight killer, for me anyway, is shoes.  Do an honest assessment, do you really need/want strappy heels?  Practically speaking, lots of walking in both Rome and Venice-- I'd skip heels all together (and trust me, I never thought I'd say that, but it's gotten to that point).

You can also pair down on toiletries; having longish, curly hair, I'd say good conditioner is worth the weight/space, but I'd skip almost everything else except $ make-up.  You can easily buy small size toothpaste, deodorant, razor, etc here.

Skip unnecessary electronics and adaptors and that junk-- a) most hotels/rental apartments will have adaptors available and b) you really don't need multiple cellphones/iphones/ipads/etc.  Besides, it's your honeymoon, who wants to be on the phone anyway?!

Last thought-- you're probably super busy but maybe look into mailing or DHLing a package to your hotel.  I'm not sure about Detroit specifically, but stuff from the East Coast generally gets to me in about 5-7days.  Note though, it's kind of a pain b/c you have to mail your stuff back, but again, likely the hotel could help (Italian Post Offices are kind of a pain b/c people (many) use them as a bill pay/wire transfer kind of service, so they're kind like going to a DMV in terms of waits and crowds at least in Rome and Naples (never tried in Venice)).

Have fun! 

• MDGirlMDGirl member
    Ancient Membership 1000 Comments Combo Breaker

I feel like I'm missing something here. If the goal of having carry on size bags was to not have to lug big bags through an airport or around Italy checking doesn't really change that, assuming you can check your bags through to Rome and that you can each check a bag for free (which looks to be the case with TAP). You can just check carry on size bags. And you'd probably have to check in at the counter at the airport anyway so they can see your passports, so that's not extra time. So it shouldn't be too much more of a headache except for waiting at baggage claim and having to pick up and re-check your bags at Newark on the way back. We're usually loathe to check bags, but sometimes if we have a long layover between long flights we just do it so we don't have to drag around our carry ons.

Ditto VABeach's recs for packing less, because less is always better, but 13 pounds is tough. Before even attempting it and getting frustrated so close to the wedding just weigh the bag empty. Suitcases can weigh more than you think they do.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

My Travel Blog

• The thought crossed my mind to ship, but we're actually staying at an apartment in Rome, not a hotel, so I don't think it would work as well.  I honestly don't think we can meet the 13 lb requirement.  The thought re: checking one bag (carry-on size) would just be to put some of the heavier stuff in one, lightening the load for the one we carry-on, but still collectively keeping it small for traveling.

I'm just trying to figure out my options before FI and I look at it more in depth tonight.  Anyone know if you can just pay an overweight fee for the carry-on but keep it with you?  Or do you have to check it?

• We leave for Italy on Saturday for a two week trip as well.  We wanted to avoid large bags, as we will be travelling by train to five different locations during our stay.  In the end, we ended up deciding to take two carry-on bags that are "convertibles" so they can easily turn into a backpack for easy transport.  

Here is one of the ones we bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y5A9BE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

We plan to pack everything we need in this.  I simply plan to pack lightly- two pairs of capris, 3 skirts, and assortment of shirts so I can mix and match.  One long sleeved shirt, swimsuit, two pairs of shoes. (sandals in the bag, sneakers on my feet). I will bring enough underwear to last me the two weeks. I got travel-sized stuff such as blow dryer and toiletries.  

We also bought a money belt and a cross-body zippable purse to carry around as daybags.   

If one of the above carry-ons gets too heavy, we will re-evaluate what we need or pack one heavy and pay to check it and take the other on the plane as a carry-on.

Good luck and have fun!  Maybe we will see each other in passing.  We are going Venice- CT- Florence- Chianti- Rome.  

• image mouse10031978:

We leave for Italy on Saturday for a two week trip as well.  We wanted to avoid large bags, as we will be travelling by train to five different locations during our stay.  In the end, we ended up deciding to take two carry-on bags that are "convertibles" so they can easily turn into a backpack for easy transport.  

Here is one of the ones we bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y5A9BE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

We plan to pack everything we need in this.  I simply plan to pack lightly- two pairs of capris, 3 skirts, and assortment of shirts so I can mix and match.  One long sleeved shirt, swimsuit, two pairs of shoes. (sandals in the bag, sneakers on my feet). I will bring enough underwear to last me the two weeks. I got travel-sized stuff such as blow dryer and toiletries.  

We also bought a money belt and a cross-body zippable purse to carry around as daybags.   

If one of the above carry-ons gets too heavy, we will re-evaluate what we need or pack one heavy and pay to check it and take the other on the plane as a carry-on.

Good luck and have fun!  Maybe we will see each other in passing.  We are going Venice- CT- Florence- Chianti- Rome.  

This is all exactly what we plan on doing , but I am almost certain (without actually doing the packing and weighing to test it) that the carry-on is going to be more than 13 lbs.

We are also doing pretty much the same cities, but in reverse.  We aren't doing as separate stay in Chianti, but instead are doing a day trip from Florence.  I can't wait! (leaving July 9, arriving in Rome July 10)  Let me know how the packing thing goes for you.

• image lawyerlindsay:

I'm just trying to figure out my options before FI and I look at it more in depth tonight.  Anyone know if you can just pay an overweight fee for the carry-on but keep it with you?  Or do you have to check it?

I'm not familiar w/ TAP.  However, I've flown in and out of both Rome and Venice and both do weigh bags and make them fit in the stupid box thing.  If they're overweight or size, IME, they've made me check 'em.  One was so hardcore they insisted I put my purse in the carry-on and then weighed it.  PITA (that was Rome-- CIA not FCO though). 

• Well- I have not packed or weighed ours yet so we will see!  If we have to check one, so be it I guess.  

We arrive in Venice July 1, then to CT July 3-5, Florence July 5-7, Greve in Chianti July 7-10, and the Rome July 10-14.  Fly out of FCO.  

Maybe we will see each other in Rome!!!  

• image mouse10031978:

We leave for Italy on Saturday for a two week trip as well.  We wanted to avoid large bags, as we will be travelling by train to five different locations during our stay.  In the end, we ended up deciding to take two carry-on bags that are "convertibles" so they can easily turn into a backpack for easy transport.  

wow you leave saturday!? that came up so fast!! i hope you have a great time :)

• image mouse10031978:

Maybe we will see each other in Rome!!!  

Yes We are going to be in Rome the same time!
  • Yes we leave Saturday!  Just started packing tonight. :) 

And, yes, We will be there at the same time, lawyerlindsay!