Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Atlanta

SG5506SG5506 member
Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments Combo Breaker
What is there to do that is in downtown Atlanta?  Is it safe to walk around there in the business district?  What about the Buckhead area?  I will not have a car.

Re: Atlanta

• The aquarium and world of coke museum are downtown. I wouldn't walk around by myself after dark.

Buckhead is a pretty big area. Some parts better than the other.

• Are you staying in a hotel in downtown? Which one? How long will you be in Atlanta?

When I first visited atlanta I stayed at the W downtown. During the day I walked to the aquarium and to Piedmont park. As PP said, not a place to walk around by yourself at night.

Buckhead has some nice places but is very spread out. There is a Marta train and buses but I have only ridden the train once from the airport to Buckhead and during that trip there was only one arrest on my car. Saying that, I did not feel unsafe on the train. 

• image spikeinc:

Buckhead has some nice places but is very spread out. There is a Marta train and buses but I have only ridden the train once from the airport to Buckhead and during that trip there was only one arrest on my car. Saying that, I did not feel unsafe on the train. 

Okay, I ride MARTA all the time and have never seen an arrest, that was a total random event for you.

You could do Coke, Aquarium, CNN tour, all downtown. The High Museum is in Midtown. Buckhead is basically shopping and the Atlanta History Center (but you would need a car for that) 

DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/15gf6sz.jpg[/IMG]
  • Downtown isn't somewhere I would walk around at night. I live in Midtown and I run every evening and walk around all the time here. There are lots of good restaurants in this part of the city.

Buckhead is pretty spread out and not ideal for walking around. You'll find our huge mall, Lenox and more couture stores at Phipps plaza. 

Marta is pretty easy, I ride it often and have never had any trouble.