Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Upright vs Recumbent bike?

I hopped on a recumbent bike yesterday at the gym and had one hell of a time enjoying it.  I couldn't get my heart rate up and felt bored the entire time.

Will I feel differently if I use an upright?  I need something to fill my "off" days but this apparently wasn't it.  What do you prefer for a good cardio workout?  Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong... which is entirely possible.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Married 10.11.08
Baby LJ 05.21.10
TheRookieChef.com

Re: Upright vs Recumbent bike?

• Personally, neither. I would choose a spin bike if given the option. At my last gym they put the old spin bikes in the main cardio gym and put new spin bikes in the spin room. I would hop on the old spin bike every once in awhile and it's much better than the upright or recumbent bikes gyms usually have.

If you have a bike, you should just go outside! That's really what I prefer!

• dup, sorry.

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • image Joenali:

Personally, neither. I would choose a spin bike if given the option. At my last gym they put the old spin bikes in the main cardio gym and put new spin bikes in the spin room. I would hop on the old spin bike every once in awhile and it's much better than the upright or recumbent bikes gyms usually have.

If you have a bike, you should just go outside! That's really what I prefer!

Good advice, thank you!  I do have a bike but I'm normally doing this rest workout over lunch so going home to get my bike isn't an option.

Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • I hate recumbent bikes at the gym. Go for the spin bike.
  • My former trainer was famous for saying (or yelling, ha!), "No one ever lost weight on a recument bike." I personally don't think they're worth the effort - for me, neither is an upright. Spin class, regular outdoor bike, or nothin'. ;-)
    New Name, Old Nestie Blog: Career Girl Network
  • On days when I have no energy I do the recument bike.  It is pretty easy.  I agree with the spinning bike rec
  • Another vote for spinning. DH got me a recumbent bike a few years ago and I used it very minimally. So minimally that I was able to sell it for a nice price recently.
    Summer is here, it's swimming time!<BR>
    [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/5771111605_6799799052_m.jpg[/IMG]<BR>
    ...<a href="http://jenni232323.blogspot.com/" target=_new">My very neglected blog</a>...