Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Any central NC people? G'boro Canonball Run

Has anyone done this half in Greensboro?  I'm considering it but would love to know it's a well run race.  It's between this and rock-n-roll Savannah.  This one just fits my schedule wayyyyy better. 
DS - June 2009
DD - February 2011

Re: Any central NC people? G'boro Canonball Run

• Well, I just looked it up and they only had about 282 participants (for the 1/2 marathon at least) last year.  If this will be your first 1/2 then I don't think it could even come close to the energy of a Rock and Roll event.

The race course is fairly nice--we ran similar courses when DH and I were training for our marathon and we bike those roads/greenway all the time since it's so close to our house.  It's definitely not pancake flat--there will be some rolling hills (and a few blind turns), but it's probably similar to what you'd run in Chapel Hill.  If you like a smaller, more intimate race, that you'll probably enjoy this one.  But if you are looking for something "fun" and "exciting" then this probably isn't going to be that--I had only vaguely heard of it myself.  Hope this Helps!

• No comparison.  I ran RNR Savannah last year and it would make an excellent first 1/2.

My first half was similar to the Cannonball Run and it was awful.

My current PR was run last year at RNR Savannah.

• I agree. i would opt for a high energy one for your first half so you are eager to sign up for another. The last thing you want after months of training is to feel disappointed in the race itself.
    10/16/11 Outer Banks Half Marathon 2:10 11/15/12 Run Raleigh Half Marathon 2:05
  • Thanks for the input.  Good food for thought.  However, this isn't my first half so first time jitters and a supportive crowd aren't a huge deal for me.  Since it's small, I was hoping I could hear some first hand thoughts on if it's well operated and smoothly run. 
    DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011