Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

deployment pay

Any one have any guess as to how long it takes for them to finally "get it right"?  DH gets paid on the 1st/15th, but ends up with random small amounts at other times during the month...adjustments because they're messing up his pay, he says.

Any experience with how long this takes to get correct?

I have to send his LES to his employer quarterly for them to calculate his pay differential & am trying to wait for an actual correct one before sending it in again!  TIA

Re: deployment pay

• Does he get per diem where he is at? We are getting random deposits that are just the extra per diem, which might be what you are also receiving.

Has he talked to his finance person? 

• Sometimes it's not right until months after they get back.  My H got back almost a month ago and his stuff is still jacked up.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image pennylane786:

Does he get per diem where he is at? We are getting random deposits that are just the extra per diem, which might be what you are also receiving.

Has he talked to his finance person? 

Uhh...what would the per diem be for, because I have no idea if this would even apply to him.    I don't know if he has, I really haven't talked to him much since he left..I will have to email him & ask.  All he said when I told him that he got 2 smaller deposits after his check was that it was correcting the pay because it was wrong.  No further explanation.

• image Renee72305:

Uhh...what would the per diem be for, because I have no idea if this would even apply to him.  

Incidentals.  Some deployment locations get $3/day for incidentals.  Some deployment locations get much more money in per diem if they are staying in billeting, for example, so their per diem could be in the hundreds of dollars per month.  That pay would usually hit after the member has taken their lodging bill to finance.  Sometimes pay is just jacked up because hazard duty is done on a different form than family sep pay, so the incentive pay is staggered. 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Like PP mentioned.. If he gets per Diem, then that's the little bit of money randomly showing up.. and the military will never "get it right". That stuff isn't added to the base pay, it's just.. added. For example, H just got back from a trip to Hawaii but we may not see that per diem for a good month.. and sometimes it comes in chunks. Weird, yes, but *shrug* it is what it is. 

He should already be aware of this, though?

I think last deployment H got his per Diem pay every three weeks or so.. It never lined up with payday.

Without giving away where he is for general OpSec issues, places like Bahrain, Isa, Djibouti,etc get $3-4/day extra. European countries and Japan are anywhere between $60-200ish, Honestly, I just wouldn't bother showing the employer that?I mean.. You're showing the employer the LES and that should be enough, no?  Idk.. That just sounds like a major pain, but I'm not sure how exact you need to be with your/his? employer. 

• image Renee72305:

Any one have any guess as to how long it takes for them to finally "get it right"?  DH gets paid on the 1st/15th, but ends up with random small amounts at other times during the month...adjustments because they're messing up his pay, he says.

Any experience with how long this takes to get correct?

I have to send his LES to his employer quarterly for them to calculate his pay differential & am trying to wait for an actual correct one before sending it in again!  TIA

I don't know how helpful my answer is going to be so I'm sorry if i waste your time:

H experienced something similar with messed up checks etc. It didn't have to do with deployment but was about reporting for AD. It took months for things to get sorted out and multiple trips to the finance office.

Sorry and good luck!