9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Any Canadian Teachers?

I'm one year away from getting my Bachelor of Education degree and I am slightly concerned about job prospects.  Ideally I would love to teach in BC but I would be willing to move pretty much anywhere to get my foot in the door.  The more research I do online the more it seems like getting a teaching job is impossible. Does anyone have any advice on what the job market is actually like in Canada for someone willing to move? Unfortunately I am not fluent in French, which probably would help.

Re: Any Canadian Teachers?

• You likely won't fare well in Ontario but I can't speak for BC.

Elementary or Secondary panel? What subject areas do you have qualifications in? I know that in Ontario secondary is facing cuts in staffing this year. I live/work in one of three growing boards and the secondary teachers are facing cutbacks here, I can't imagine its good in stagnant/diminishing boards. I work in elementary and unless you teach French you will likely have to work for at least a year or two on the supply list (if you can get on) and that is in our growing board. My husbands friends who work in other boards (in secondary) have prepared themselves for at least 5 years on the supply list.

Sorry I couldn't paint a rosier picture...given the financial situation of most of the provinces you might find it challenging - unless you go to a growing area in Alberta maybe! 

• Thanks for your reply. My BA is in humanities with a combination of English, history, and art, and my BEd will be in elementary education.

I wouldn't mind subbing for a bit, basically I just want to know that eventually I will get a permanent job.  Even in rural Ontario jobs are hard to come by? 

• I would argue jobs in rural Ontario are even harder to come by!  Honestly, I think that if you were willing to go work on a First Nations reserve you would likely find work but for the most part all the school boards are decreasing in size (changes in population demographics) with the exception of one or two (Halton, York and Peel sometimes).  Each year new kindie jobs become available because of FDK but because of layoffs/surplus those jobs usually go to existing teachers. Also, you need to supply for a board to get a job for the most part because jobs are so hard to come by and now protocol in most boards states that they need to hire supply teachers to permanent positions first.

My suggestion would be the following: find a school board where you want to teach and offer to be a classroom volunteer in a couple of local schools. Teachers are usually happy to have a volunteer who is a trained teacher. Then when the supply teaching list is 'open' (meaning you can apply in), do so, and use the principals at the schools where you volunteer as references. Once you are on the supply list it gets a lot easier to apply for permanent jobs when they become available.