9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Applying for a job that doesn't exist ... yet.

I would like to send out my resume to the private schools in the area for a position that doesn't even exist. I want to offer myself as someone that could be in the school for the day that could meet/talk with teachers in/out of the classroom to discuss and work w/ students who are having behavior and/or academic challenges. Then work with the student/teacher/parents to put together an academic plan and/or behavior plan. And be able to go to any PPT/504/IEP meetings so that if the primary teacher isn't able to attend, the school is able to send someone without having to make it super early in the morning or after school - and make it based on the parent schedule. And I'd be working with the student, so I'd know what was going on with them and be able to speak to that during the meeting. NO private schools have this around here. IMO, if anyone were to hire me (or someone like me to do this) they'd be able to advertise their school as a small classroom environment with special ed resources in place (something public schools can't offer - the small mainstream classroom) and be able to make their school more appealing to parents that would want this. BUT ... I don't know how to go about doing this since...this position doesn't even exist.

How do you word a cover/intro letter to explain all this ... and make it appealing to schools that are losing enrollment (as private schools are now doing b/c parents can't pay for private schooling due to the economy).

Re: Applying for a job that doesn't exist ... yet.

• Cold calling couldn't hurt.:)

I don't know much about how a cover letter for a teaching job is composed but I imagine that bullet points would make your "business proposal" stand out more.:)

Find a way to put the information in a one page cover letter -- enclose your resume -- and yeah, use bulletpoints. GL.

• I might consider talking to a members of their boards of directors or principals, and laying out the position for them and how it can benefit the school. As an intro, I'd come up with a super well-written letter introducing yourself and laying out the proposal. Then ask if you can set up a meeting to discuss it in depth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • I think your idea is genius.

There is often a breakdown in communication and a lack of follow up.  We see this in many fields: education, health care.... What is needed is that ONE person to help the individual (parents/student) navigate through the system. I.e. communicate with the school administrators and teachers, ensure the parents/student have the information needed, understand their next steps, and then follow up to ensure they have are sticking with the plan.

You have a great idea and perhaps the next step is to start listening to other experts perspectives.  Talk to every principal who will give you an appointment. Ask for their input on your idea to understand what they see is the problem and why they think the problem exists.  Talk to teachers - do they think this "student navigator" or whatever better title you come up with, would be a valuable tool for them to use to help their students progress?  Why or why not?  Talk to parents to understand their own challenges and frustrations with the system.

Outline an airtight proposal to present the business case:

1) what is the problem statement?

2) what does the ideal state look like?

3) what is your proposed solution?

4) how does current research support that your solution will work?

5) What are the obstacles to overcome (privacy laws, etc) and what steps have you taken to validate that these won't present roadblocks.

6) what is the cost? and what is the expected return on investment?

Once you have all these elements, the cover letter will flow from that. But if you haven't already talked to your customers (teachers, school administrators, parents), then I would really start there to better understand their perspectives so you can position your proposal in a way that speaks to their needs and values.

• Not sure where you're located, but where I teach, we have a department somewhat like what you described. It's called the "School Based Support Team" (SBST for short.) They coordinate all IEPs/504s/BIPs, etc. They make sure kids are getting their testing mods, communicate with parents about upcoming meetings, how the child is doing in class, make sure the child receives the correct services, etc. The team consists of a couple of people, including school psychologists (who are usually the ones testing the children and writing the IEPs, etc.) and parent advocates (not entirely sure of the titles of the other members - sorry.) 
    ?"All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."
    Visit The Nest! image
    Anniversary
    GP buddy to blenderdance
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers