Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ok I need to vent this out or I'm going to explode.

Don't mind me, I'm a little stressed lately... I'm at work right now and things are a little nuts here at the moment. BUT....

If I don't get some "me" time or quiet time pretty quickly here I think I may just have a meltdown. Things have been and always are very busy at home. 2 kids, we both work full time, there is always something going on. I can deal with that...most of the time. Lately I've been struggling with anxiety. Not sleeping well, feeling aggitated, restless...I really think part of the problem is not ever having a moment to myself. Literally the only time I am alone is when I shower and if I get up at the crack of dawn to run. Any other time if I am not working, I have the kids. I'm not blaming DH, it's not like he's out doing his thing alone either. If he's not working he is usually with us. It is soooo noisy all.the.time. DD is really difficult lately and DS is going through a yelling phase now that he is finding his voice. I feel like the only time someone is not talking at me is when I am sleeping.

I just need a few hours of quiet time!!!

Re: Ok I need to vent this out or I'm going to explode.

• are you at a gym?  do they offer childcare?

If they do, it might be worth it to rework your workout schedule to be able to do a treadmill run on a Saturday then spend some time in the steam room/sauna/pool

• Time to let the DH take them for a bit.  Can you do something on Saturday with the understanding that he can have a turn, too?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • I hear you. Your kids are at a tough age right now. Can you guys trade off weekends? Give yourself a full or half day Saturday to do what you want, and then he can do the same the following weekend? Or get a sitter and get out for a date night?

I promise you it does get easier. Our kids are about the same age difference, but DD is 5.5 and DS is 3. They are more independent and play really well together. So there are often times when they don't want us playing with them (so we'll sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine instead :)  I still need my quiet time, but find it is much easier to schedule as they get older, are a little more independent, and it's easier for one of you to handle both kids. (although while it gets easier it doesn't necessarily get quieter)

• image kat.in.the.hat:

are you at a gym?  do they offer childcare?

If they do, it might be worth it to rework your workout schedule to be able to do a treadmill run on a Saturday then spend some time in the steam room/sauna/pool

No gym. I have a treadmill at home and I run outside when I can. I want to join a running group one day a week but DH is giving me flack about it Sad

• :(  I'm sorry!  Can you afford a sitter for a few hours or do you have a family/friend that could help?
  • You definitely need to tell your DH that you need a day to yourself. 
  • image JReeds9:
    image kat.in.the.hat:

No gym. I have a treadmill at home and I run outside when I can. I want to join a running group one day a week but DH is giving me flack about it Sad

Why is he giving you flak about it?? Is he worried about you being gone and having to handle both kids? I'd sit down with him and tell him how much you need some alone time and time to exercise. Maybe there is something he wants to get out and do too and you guys can come up with a schedule to make sure you're both getting what you need.

• image carlab44:

I hear you. Your kids are at a tough age right now. Can you guys trade off weekends? Give yourself a full or half day Saturday to do what you want, and then he can do the same the following weekend? Or get a sitter and get out for a date night?

I promise you it does get easier. Our kids are about the same age difference, but DD is 5.5 and DS is 3. They are more independent and play really well together. So there are often times when they don't want us playing with them (so we'll sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine instead :)  I still need my quiet time, but find it is much easier to schedule as they get older, are a little more independent, and it's easier for one of you to handle both kids. (although while it gets easier it doesn't necessarily get quieter)

I'm going to hold you to this Stick out tongue

We've got a long weekend coming up at the end of April with no plans. I think I'm going to see about the IL's watchingboth kids so DH & I can both have some time. I know he doesn't stress about it as much as I do but I'm sure DH would appreciate some down time.

• image carlab44:
    image JReeds9:
    image kat.in.the.hat:

Why is he giving you flak about it?? Is he worried about you being gone and having to handle both kids? I'd sit down with him and tell him how much you need some alone time and time to exercise. Maybe there is something he wants to get out and do too and you guys can come up with a schedule to make sure you're both getting what you need.

He's a little concerned about me with all the calorie counting and working out. I honestly don't think I am doing too much or eating too little, but he's just worried that I'm letting it kinda of take over KWIM? I think he would be completely on board if I wanted to do a girls night or something like that but to be honest I really have no interest in that right now. I just want quiet,lol!

• image JReeds9:
    image carlab44:
    image JReeds9:
    image kat.in.the.hat:

He's a little concerned about me with all the calorie counting and working out. I honestly don't think I am doing too much or eating too little, but he's just worried that I'm letting it kinda of take over KWIM? I think he would be completely on board if I wanted to do a girls night or something like that but to be honest I really have no interest in that right now. I just want quiet,lol!

For Mother's Day you should hint (and by that I mean flat out tell him) that you would like a night alone in a nice hotel.  Order room service, take a bubble bath and read a book or watch trash TV all by your lonesome.

• image carlab44:

I hear you. Your kids are at a tough age right now. Can you guys trade off weekends? Give yourself a full or half day Saturday to do what you want, and then he can do the same the following weekend? Or get a sitter and get out for a date night?

I agree with this, especially that last line :) When my kids were your age, I would have called you crazy if you said we'd try for another! I think you need to sit down with your DH and figure out a way to get some "me time". Good luck!

Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image FinallyKrisB:
    image JReeds9:
    image carlab44:
    image JReeds9:
    image kat.in.the.hat:

For Mother's Day you should hint (and by that I mean flat out tell him) that you would like a night alone in a nice hotel.  Order room service, take a bubble bath and read a book or watch trash TV all by your lonesome.

That sounds like heaven!

• Can you take a vacation/personal day from work (assuming the kids are in daycare?). I do this every 6-8wks. I spend the morning deep cleaning the house completely so I can relax more when everyone's around. Then the afternoon is my time, to veg in a clean house or do shopping for me. I know I get burned out with one child, so I can only imagine with two little ones.

~Mary & Mike~
    August 18, 2007

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/f20q2v.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10725;127/st/20100828/n/Baby+C/k/1eaa/age.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • Sounds tough. Ask DH if he can watch your LOs for a bit, or a friend. Get some you time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Kelly has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
    hide
  • image JReeds9:
    image FinallyKrisB:
    image JReeds9:
    image carlab44:
    image JReeds9:
    image kat.in.the.hat:

That sounds like heaven!

I don't even have kids yet and this sounds awesome.

• What do you do after your kids go to bed?

And yes, it does get easier! Mine are almost 3 and almost 5 now and its so much different than it was a year ago, even 6 months ago.

I know its hard to balance, we both work full time as well. And i know nights around here are crazy, especially once the kids go to bed. Cooking, making lunches, doing laundry, etc. But a few times a week i take 20 mins to myself and take a bubble bath. laundry, cleaning, all that can wait for 20 mins if that means giving me some sanity.

• image historychick79:

Can you take a vacation/personal day from work (assuming the kids are in daycare?). I do this every 6-8wks. I spend the morning deep cleaning the house completely so I can relax more when everyone's around. Then the afternoon is my time, to veg in a clean house or do shopping for me. I know I get burned out with one child, so I can only imagine with two little ones.

I do this and I don't even have any kids! Just a high energy demanding dog.  A day off work is highly recommended if you can swing it!

• image Dslove4life:
    image JReeds9:
    image FinallyKrisB:
    image JReeds9:
    image carlab44:
    image JReeds9:
    image kat.in.the.hat:

That sounds like heaven!

I don't even have kids yet and this sounds awesome.

I was gonna say the exact same thing.  And, I would allow myself a bit of junk food for one night. 

Sarah's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)