Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Stolen from ML: What would you do with lottery winnings?

What would you do with 500 million dollars?

I would

-pay off mortgages(ours, parents, siblings)

-set up trust funds for our kids, nieces and nephews

-quit my job

-travel

-travel some more

-buy the sickest collection of photography equipment

-travel some more

-donations to causes near and dear - cancer research, animal rescue, pp

-build a vault like Scrooge McDuck, and swim around in my monies.

Baby Boxer is coming! 5.23.12
www.focushunting.com

Re: Stolen from ML: What would you do with lottery winnings?

• Buy a house in SD and NY (a condo at least in both)

Open and/or buy into a bar/restaurant

Travel to get married and be able to pay for friends/family to come too.

Save most of it so that we don't go broke like other lottery winners, oh, and just in case the bar/restaurant fails.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2ivjh92.jpg[/IMG]
  • Brett said he would bulldoze our house.  Ha!

I would quit my job obvs.  I would want to volunteer at least part time but I would want to wait until after we'd traveled pretty much around the world.

Buy a canal house in Amsterdam, an apartment in NYC and build a house next door to my parents.  Have babies.

Make sure our families didn't have to worry about money.  Donate a shiitload of money to NAMI and other mental health research causes, and knowing Brett, animal rescues and homeless shelters.

Make beautiful things, relax, and love each other.

we all fall down sometimes
    brass and ballet flats
  • I would wait about a month to claim so some of the publicity has died down and so I could arrrange for a lawyer, financial planner, and tax accountant. I would give work notice but tell them I can stay on until they find a replacement because I wold feel guilty just leaving. I would delete my Facebook page.

I would take a certain amount to give to family and close friends. I would donate a portion to my church and other charities I feel strongly about.

I would buy or build our dream home. We would each buy a new everyday car and then a fancy car. I would buy a new wardrobe but still shop at the same stores just pay full price. I see no reason to spend $600 on a cotton tshirt no matter how much money I have. I would have a freaking field day in Sephora.

We would travel to all the places we have ever wanted to go and stay in the nicest hotels. 

Other than that just live a simple life, never worrying about paying for anything.

• image EssBe:

Have babies.

Semi Flameful- Yea the thing I was most excited about when J and I were imagining winning was that I could be a stay at home mom.

• I would

Build a house in RI and buy a bunch of investment property. Also buy a vacation home in Savannah, and later Byron Bay.

Set up trust funds for Charlotte, my friends and my brother and SIL. Lump sum for parents since they are olds.

Get a surrogate for baby #2, then hire a nanny for Charlotte and potential #2

Get Kevin a farm

Build a Redbone Coonhound Shelter. In reality I would just rescue a bunch of them and give them their own house.

Fix parts of my body Charlotte ruined.

Travel

For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • image Kamikaze3:
    image EssBe:

Have babies.

Semi Flameful- Yea the thing I was most excited about when J and I were imagining winning was that I could be a stay at home mom.

I don't think it's flameful.  What I think it is is sad that our economy and culture make it so hard to have kids and stay at home now, that it's one of the first things people think of as a dream when financial pressure gets lifted.

It's the same for us.

we all fall down sometimes
    brass and ballet flats
  • What wouldn't I do with $500 million?

Part of me thinks I would buy the house behind me and next to me and turn my house into everything I could possibly want.  But maybe I'd just move into a different place altogether.  

We'd both quit our jobs in a hot second.  After spending a bunch of time doing nothing or travelling, I'd start taking classes and volunteering for whatever struck my fancy.  

I would travel with whichever friend wanted an all expenses paid vacation.  

Pay off my parents' and Mr. Spiderman's parents' houses and set them up so they can retire.

Pay off my little sister's school loans.

Laugh when my older sister asks me for money.

Adopt a couple kids.

Bribe Fenton and a few others to come live here.

Spoil the crap out of my nephews.

Buy a cabin somewhere and a beach house somewhere.  

Invest in Vicki's bakery.

"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Keep it a secret, live my life largely like I do now publicly, and do random things that make people's lives easier....secretly paying off homes, medical bills, donations, etc.  It would be so much funner in secret I think.
  • Oh, I hate thinking about this because I want it so.effing.bad (::insert DUH here::).

I would actually sit on most of it for as long as humanly possible (which, for me, would be like a month).  I would go on some sweet vacation right away, but I would just want to sit back and take my time with the final plan.  I really would hate to become one of those "curse of the lottery" people.

Design and build dream house

have another kid or two

college account and savings account and any other account I could open so that my kid(s) could live comfortably (while not telling him he has access to all of this money)

set up my sister, brother, their families, MIL (hmmm, how would I get out of not setting up my SIL and BIL?)

Research the sh*t out of charities and find good ones to support

Rent out a wing of a Vegas hotel, invite all family and friends, and do it up high roller style.

I have always thought that even if we did win the lottery, but didn't take away a lifetime of winnings, I would want to sink a bunch of money into our house to make it what we want.  When I say this, my husband looks at me like I have four heads.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How awesome would that be? 

Quit my job (duh) and start volunteering for organizations I love

Renovate my house

Decorate the whole damn house really nice.  Window treatments and all, y'all.

Do really awesome landscaping

By an apartment in the city

Buy real art

Go on an awesome vacation

Higher a personal chef

Higher a personal trainer

Give my sister a ton of money

Give other family members and friends money

Donate to causes important to me

Buy lots of Jimmy Choo shoes FULL PRICE.

Have awesome parties on the regular with great food, transportation to and from (no designated drivers!), music, and pay for babysitters for everyone! 

Give you each $1 MM (please consider this when buying your own tickets)

image Mabel the Loser.
  • Cashmere t-shirts for the next GTG held on a private island where Jon Heder quotes ND for us!
  • I'd get a good financial planner and do some investing. College funds and trust funds for the kids.

I'd probably want to keep working, at least part time.

Maybe start our own family foundation.

Vacation house in Michigan for my parents to use. Maybe an apartment in NYC. Buy Mike a farm so he could have all the chickens, goats, and gardens he wanted.

Get a nanny.

Travel like crazy. Take the kids to see the world. And to Disney any time they wanted. 

I would buy all the clothes, shoes, bags, and sunglasses ever made.Also all of Sephora.

image Ready to rumble.
  • I will one up you on that Nov:  I will make the commune a reality.  Boom.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • November, would you even notice an extra 500 mil in your bank account?
    www.focushunting.com
  • image KristenBtobe:

Buy Mike a farm so he could have all the chickens, goats, and gardens he wanted.

Two words:  luxury yurt.

• image lindsayll:
    I will one up you on that Nov:  I will make the commune a reality.  Boom.

Lindsay is my favorite.  Just don't make it somewhere with tornadoes or hurricanes, please.

• image HappyTummy613:
    image KristenBtobe:

Buy Mike a farm so he could have all the chickens, goats, and gardens he wanted.

Two words:  luxury yurt.

<3

The yurts would have in ground pools and landscaping.

image Ready to rumble.
  • Ever since the last big lottery jackpot, I have thought about this waaaay too much.  I think I would rather win $2M rather than $500M. 

Why?  Because you could have some semblance of a normal life on $2M.  Pay off the mortgage, student loans, go on some great vacations, donate to some worthy causes, and give friends & family help they need.  But you still at least one (future or current) parent working and showing (future or current) children that you need to work hard and have purpose in life.

When I think about $500M, it sounds fun for about a month, but then what am I going to do with my life?  I guess work charity, but unless it is a full time 100% committment, I don't want any future children thinking they are just going to live off the dole without working hard.  Not to mention how many people would come out of the woodwork for their payout.

I also have it all planned out for helping my friends who are bad with money/life choices.  Want a trust fund?  You are going to have to take a money management class first!  I'm a bossy millionaire!

And because I am not greedy and want a paltry $2M instead of $500M, I deserve to win.  You heard me lottery gods!  :)

• image boxerfan:
    November, would you even notice an extra 500 mil in your bank account?

It would take me a day or two, but I sure would. 

image Mabel the Loser.
  • image boxerfan:
    November, would you even notice an extra 500 mil in your bank account?

It would take me a day or two, but I sure would. 

image Mabel the Loser.
  • Build a house closer to the beach, and pay off my sister's house.  I'd probably also build another house close to ours for family.

Set up trust funds for Ian and my stepson.

Pay for college for my nieces.

Give my parents and MIL a chunk of money to do whatever they want with.  They've both paid their houses off already.

Travel, and quit my job.  I'm pretty sure Fran would quit his too. 

• My bar/restaurant would provide everyone with free booze and food. But mostly booze. Just so you all know.
    [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2ivjh92.jpg[/IMG]
  • Wait a little while to claim it so some of the attention dies down.

The usuals most everyone has: pay off bills, mortgages, give money to family, take care of household projects I haven't had the money to start, put a huge amount into a fund to support my favorite charities (including ones I will discover after I set up the fund).

Spend a week or two sleeping and cleaning out my DVR.

Travel

Buy an apartment in NYC

Hire Lindsay to set up commune

Adopt some kids

• Oooh, I thought of something else I would do.  I would take a Master's program in interior design and open up my own studio. 

I started down this path (okay, one semester in), and decided it wasn't for me because I was, you know, mid 20s, in college, trying to figure out my life path.  The other girls (yes, all girls) in my program were also in their mid 20s, but instead of talking about what bar they went to on Friday night, and how their hours at TGI Friday suck this week, they were discussing their summers on Nantucket or Miami and that they were meeting friends at "the club" for lunch and cocktails after class.  The biggest diamond I have ever seen in my life was on the hand of a girl in that class.

After seeing their presentations of lavishly decorated home interiors, compared to my eclectic, loft style project, I felt really out of place in the world.

If you think it sounds like I was jealous, you are right.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've decided that winning this jackpot would be very bad for my marriage.  My H and I do not agree on what we should do with our winnings.  He told me I can't buy a jet!! wtf. Also, he wants to move to texas or florida for tax purposes.  No thank you.
    www.focushunting.com
  • I would quit my job and let my co-workers split up all the stuff I've bought

-pay off mortgage and cars

-set up funds for my kid(s)-college/wedding/retirement/fun/whatever

-pay off debt for my mom, brother, and even my mil and then set them up with some money

-throw a huge party and give very generous monetary gifts to all my family and friends

-have another kid and then adopt a few

-make a lot of improvements(roof/windows/addition/pool) to my current house because even if I could afford to pay people to pack, move, and unpack my crap I really wouldn't want to bother

-I'd just buy/build other bigger, better houses in a few destinations and fill them with new stuff

-take my entire extended family on a kick-ass vacation

-take my friends on a kick-ass vacation

-travel, travel, travel all around the world

-donate to and volunteer for favorite causes

-hire a maid and maybe a driver

-I might even share some of the wealth with you biitches, but other than Coley and Vicki who would be my personal bakers, you'd have to earn it by playing "Deal or No Deal" or some other game of my choosing.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • I'd keep working, since I love my job. 

Pay off the mortgage, car and student loans. Buy a duplex or two in town to use as rental properties. Buy an awesome beach house to spend weekends at. 

Spend at least a few weeks in Europe, possibly Asia, though the H doesn't seem to like the idea of Asia or anywhere too hot. 

Finally do all the renovations we've been dreaming of on our house. And probably buy the lot next to us as well, to expand the house. 

Clothes, shoes (so many shoes), stereo/theater gear for the H, a boat.

College funds for future kids, and my kid brother. Pay off some of my parents debt for helping me financially for the first 2 years of college.  

• image boxerfan:
    Also, he wants to move to texas or florida for tax purposes.  No thank you.

This information combined with his thoughts on names makes me think you need to divorce your H.  There's something wrong with him.

• First thing's first: lipo and laser hair removal. Possibly butthole bleaching and labiaplasty. Maybe not, but I'm not ruling them out. I would at least read a brochure.

I would renovate or knock down/rebuild a cool house in a fun area of town. I would custom design it myself and I have a boner even thinking about all the things I would do. Gaming/theater room. Insane master bathroom with custom closets. Industrial looking kitchen. Small library room with a working fireplace. Computer room with my gadetry and a hub for music playing that can be activated in individual rooms or the whole house. Covered back porch with outdoor kitchen (at least a grill and minifridge). Backyard party space with a stage in case I wanted to have bands play live. Garage adjacent bathrooms for said parties so randos aren't traipsing through my house to pee and making it gross. Laundry room....oh sweet jesus, I miss this so. I'd probably buy the two houses next to me and rent them to friends so I wouldn't have to worry about sucky neighbors, and plus the obvious benefit of rental income and having friends you can hang out with whenever.

Vacation home somewhere in the Caribbean (I thought about Hawaii, but that's a longer flight). Probably buy a small apartment in Chicago since I know so many people who live there and I'd visit regularly. And obviously frequent vacations to everywhere else in the world. Thailand, Japan, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Morocco, Brazil, and just about every other destination I've lusted after on No Reservations. I would want to do some luxury vacations, but for most I'd want to keep it sort of real and stay at normal people hotels and try to experience local life. I'd try to take four week trips and rent bikes and hop on trains and explore. I feel like I want to cry with happiness just thinking about it.

I would definitely throw money around in whatever way I found to influence the political system. I'm not just going to donate to the DNC, but try to find some way to fix the process. I don't know what that would be, but that would probably become my mission in life.

Write books and publish them because I can. 

Adopt older kids in foster care (13 and up) and send them to college. Keep them out of jail, off the pole, out of rehab, etc. I don't know if I could establish a real parental connection with them. I'd try, but ultimately, I would just want to give a kid a chance who would otherwise not have one.

Obviously my parents and siblings get some help. My parents would retire. My grandparents would get around the clock in home care for the rest of their lives. I would also try to send them on a nice trip with accessibility assistance if they were up to it.

I might buy some new clothes and shoes, but I'd probably still just mostly wear jeans and t-shirts.

Offer JHutch an indecent proposal.

Bring back Firefly.

Buy Disney World and burn it to the ground, for lolz.

"As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • image CaliopeSpidrman:

image boxerfan:
    Also, he wants to move to texas or florida for tax purposes.  No thank you.

This information combined with his thoughts on names makes me think you need to divorce your H.  There's something wrong with him.

Sh!t, does this mean I need to start posting on ML now?

www.focushunting.com