Buying A Home
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Furniture Arrangement Question

My DH and I work in two different cities that are about an hour apart. We moved into our current place before I had my job, so we live in the city that he works in. The one-hour-each-way commute has been killer, so we're looking to buy a home in the middle so that we each drive 30 minutes.

Anyways, it's a fairly small town with limited houses on the market, and the best option (by far) is a raised ranch house (or split-level). The pros are that it is 3 br/2 ba, beautiful hardwood floors, big backyard, excellent neighborhood, and built in 1995 so no major updates needed.

However, the ONLY problem I am having with the house is that I do not know how I'd arrange my furniture. The style is typical of a raised ranch... you walk up the stairs when you first enter the house, the kitchen is straight ahead and the living space is to the right. Any ideas (or photos, or resources) for how to arrange living room furniture in this style home?

Sorry for being so long-winded! :)
Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Please visit my blog! re-discoveringhome.blogspot.com

Re: Furniture Arrangement Question

• Most of the split level homes I've seen have a living room and then also a family room or additional living space in the basement/bottom floor. If I was to buy a split level, I would like set up one areas as more of a sitting room and the other as the TV and hanging out room. Due to the arrangement of most split levels, the lower level family area would probably work better for the tv room.
  • After living in a split for several years the best way I found was to put a couch against the window another against the stair area and the tv on the wall. this gives you an open horseshoe type plan that is easy to get in an out of.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just moved into a split and we love it. The arrangement is a bit difficult though, but we decided to keep everything open so furniture is against the wall. We are thinking we may need a bigger TV to be able to see from the couches, haha.

We haven't done much with the lower level though, the arrangement will be even more difficult because there are doors (to 2 bedrooms & bathroom & utility room) on the walls across where the TV would be. No idea what to do- probably have to place the furniture right in the middle of the room. We'll start looking for furniture that will fit well.

We probably will start asking questions at a furniture store to see what they may have for rooms like that. Are you planning on buying new ones or using the ones you already have?

doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • image BriGiboo:

After living in a split for several years the best way I found was to put a couch against the window another against the stair area and the tv on the wall. this gives you an open horseshoe type plan that is easy to get in an out of.

This exactly.

TTC#1 since April 2011. BFP 6/1/12, mmc discovered 7/17, D&E 7/20/12
  • I have buid my new house with all the necessary things such as Garden, fontain and with 3 balconies. The problem arise at arranging the furniture in my house. Please produce some attachment links about the tips and suggestions for proper arrangement.

Best Pet Insurance        
    Pet Health Insurance

• Thanks for the advice! We plan on using the furniture we already have if at all possible. We have a couch, love seat, entertainment stand for the TV, end table, and coffee table. I am thinking that we will put the couch against the window wall, the love seat against where the stairs come up, and the tv opposite the love seat. 

The downstairs is completely unfinished, so over time we can finish it however we'd like so we have lots to think about when it comes to that space... it's like a blank slate!
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Please visit my blog! re-discoveringhome.blogspot.com
  • Edited by moderator.

• I have handled many of such furniture management and renovation projects. Though your home design is quite different and I have never cam across such design before but I would suggest you to use wood furniture for your home. For arrangement purpose, you can take help of an interior designer.
    [URL=http://montana.ie/Sofas.html]Sofa in Ireland[/URL]