September 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I have a legit gripe

As y'all know, I'm going to see my law school friend who is going through chemo and go to one of her treatments tomorrow.

My coworkers/ boss also know this, since tomorrow is a workday and while unlimited vacation means I'm free to go, I did have to tell them where I'll be.

Today, someone brings in their sick child (yes, my work place is clearly very permissive).  I'm sitting at my desk trying to breathe through my shirt and sanitize the sh!t out of my whole desk area/ clorox wipe anything he comes near, because if I get sick, I can't even freaking see my friend.

WTF people.  /rant.

White Knot
Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot

Re: I have a legit gripe

• image maryandkirk0909:

As y'all know, I'm going to see my law school friend who is going through chemo and go to one of her treatments tomorrow.

My coworkers/ boss also know this, since tomorrow is a workday and while unlimited vacation means I'm free to go, I did have to tell them where I'll be.

Today, someone brings in their sick child (yes, my work place is clearly very permissive).  I'm sitting at my desk trying to breathe through my shirt and sanitize the sh!t out of my whole desk area/ clorox wipe anything he comes near, because if I get sick, I can't even freaking see my friend.

WTF people.  /rant.

Dude that sucks.  I work at a hospital so I basically bath in sanitizer all day long.  At least now in my new position I'm in a separate office building which is less germy.

You leave tomorrow, yes?  Can you work from home for the afternoon so as to not continue your exposure?  

• image ChristinaDawn:

You leave tomorrow, yes?  Can you work from home for the afternoon so as to not continue your exposure?  

Yes.  And probably not.  I need to get stuff done in the office since I'll be out tomorrow/ Monday.  I'm hoping she takes the kid home.

White Knot
  • image maryandkirk0909:
    image ChristinaDawn:

Yes.  And probably not.  I need to get stuff done in the office since I'll be out tomorrow/ Monday.  I'm hoping she takes the kid home.

Yeah, understandable, I was kind of thinking wishfully for you.  Hopefully they get the germ spreader outta there.  I can't imagine bringing Alex into work sick...even if my work place allowed it, it just seems rude. 

• Just walk up to the kid and spray him/her with lysol...it will either cause the parent to take the child home or get you sent home to work, it's win-win Wink
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/142puw.jpg[/IMG]
  • image ChristinaDawn:
    image maryandkirk0909:
    image ChristinaDawn:

Yeah, understandable, I was kind of thinking wishfully for you.  Hopefully they get the germ spreader outta there.  I can't imagine bringing Alex into work sick...even if my work place allowed it, it just seems rude. 

Usually when people do it, it is more that the kid was sick yesterday and the schools here have a rule that you can't go to school within 24 hours of having a fever higher than 99.3, so sometimes recovering kids come in.

BUT I will say we have an emergency care program at work that is very reasonable that will send a nurse to babysit your sick kid so you can come to work without them.

Thankfully she just left to get him a strep test (ick), so maybe he'll have strep and stay out of the office for the rest of the day.

White Knot
  • I hope you're not flying to see your friend?  Airplanes are a cesspool of germs, too... Airborne FTW!
    Accidental Smiles
    updated 10.03.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image maryandkirk0909:
    image ChristinaDawn:
    image maryandkirk0909:
    image ChristinaDawn:

Usually when people do it, it is more that the kid was sick yesterday and the schools here have a rule that you can't go to school within 24 hours of having a fever higher than 99.3, so sometimes recovering kids come in.

BUT I will say we have an emergency care program at work that is very reasonable that will send a nurse to babysit your sick kid so you can come to work without them.

Thankfully she just left to get him a strep test (ick), so maybe he'll have strep and stay out of the office for the rest of the day.

I have to say that's a pretty awesome family friendly program they run.  We allowed "two sick family" days a year.  So many people just call in saying their sick when really it's their kid because only being able to use two days for a sick child each year is a little ridic especially since I'm against sending Alex to daycare sick because I don't want him to spread the germs.  

• image MBMcC421:
    I hope you're not flying to see your friend?  Airplanes are a cesspool of germs, too... Airborne FTW!

I am, and I know how to take care of myself with flying.  It's a little different when someone is <5 feet away from you touching a bunch of stuff you need for work and they know they're sick.  Willful exposure= worse than the airplane risk.

White Knot
  • image maryandkirk0909:

image MBMcC421:
    I hope you're not flying to see your friend?  Airplanes are a cesspool of germs, too... Airborne FTW!

I am, and I know how to take care of myself with flying.  It's a little different when someone is <5 feet away from you touching a bunch of stuff you need for work and they know they're sick.  Willful exposure= worse than the airplane risk.

That coworker brings her kid in a lot. Would it be awkward to request a desk further from hers? (Not now, obviously, but in the future, to avoid repeat situations.) 

• I am offended by your post title and the inference that the gripes below are not valid. :P
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2pzxst3.jpg[/IMG]
  • image steeser03:
    I am offended by your post title and the inference that the gripes below are not valid. :P

Stick out tongue   It wasn't a confession or an unpopular opinion.  Everyone should think it is inappropriate to bring the cesspool of sick children into an office to contaminate everything.  Big Smile

White Knot
  • image maryandkirk0909:

image steeser03:
    I am offended by your post title and the inference that the gripes below are not valid. :P

Stick out tongue   It wasn't a confession or an unpopular opinion.  Everyone should think it is inappropriate to bring the cesspool of sick children into an office to contaminate everything.  Big Smile

Oh, I can't wait to see you as a mom when your children start coming home from the cesspool known as daycare. Wink  I have never been more sick in my entire life than I have in the last year since Sam's been going...

Accidental Smiles
    updated 10.03.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image MBMcC421:
    image maryandkirk0909:

image steeser03:

Oh, I can't wait to see you as a mom when your children start coming home from the cesspool known as daycare. Wink  I have never been more sick in my entire life than I have in the last year since Sam's been going...

Oh, I'm well aware.  My mom, BFF, etc. are all teachers, I know there's a steep immunity curve, I'll just work from home when they're sick, not bring them in to get other people sick.

White Knot