Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Last name, now a middle name?

Does anyone know where replacing your middle name with your last name so you can make room for your married name came from?

Ex. Mary Katherine Karr (married Mr. Jones)

Changes to Mary Karr Jones.

Just wondering if it is a regional thing. Thanks!

Re: Last name, now a middle name?

• I have no idea where it originated and I did not do this but I did however do it on my college diploma.

My college diploma reads Heather Maidenname Hislastname...and I did this because I wanted my family name to be recognized in my achievement especially since I was the first in my family to ever graduate college.

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2061/5744687295_a428b3acdb.jpg[/IMG]
  • I didn't have a middle name (wasn't common to have one where I am from) so I was so excited to get a middle name once I got married. Finally able to monogram! (I'm a dork, I know). A co-worker isn't losing her middle name once she gets married - just replacing with his.
  • I don't know where this originated, but I know some women who've done this. I have a cousin who didn't even give her daughter's middle names so they could just use their maiden names as middle names when they get married.
  • I have no idea when or where this originated, but in my situation, my middle name has more family significance than my maiden name, so I dropped my maiden name completely. I think my maiden name is the the second or third most common last name in the country, so it didn't pain me too much to part with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not sure but as soon as DH and I some money I am filing to lose my first name. I do not go by it and I personally hate it. I do not want to get rid of my maiden name because it took A LOT for me to get it. My stepdad adopted me and it took 6 yr & 50k to get my last name legally. I was not about to give it up just because I married DH. :) So as soon as we can afford it I will go by current middle name, maiden name, DH's lastname.
  • When/If/When/If I ever get around to changing my name, it will be:

kfishie   CurrentMiddleName    MaidenName As Second MiddleName   DH's Last Name

Get it?  I will have 2 middle names: my current and my maiden name will move over to be a 2nd middle name.  Reason?  My middle name is my mom's name so can't give it up.  And I don't want to give up my last name.  

• image kfishie:

When/If/When/If I ever get around to changing my name, it will be:

Get it?  I will have 2 middle names: my current and my maiden name will move over to be a 2nd middle name.  Reason?  My middle name is my mom's name so can't give it up.  And I don't want to give up my last name.  

I have 4 names now. first name, middle name, maiden name, dh's last name.

• My mom did it in the 70's.  I assumed it was a type of women's lib thing.  (Like I will take on your family name... but I'm not giving mine up all together).
    Andrew - Turns 3 on March 22!
    [IMG]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/400236_2291129377746_1834353394_1470454_188576721_n.jpg[/IMG]
  • I did it because I didn't want to lose my maiden name entirely.  I felt like it was a big part of me and I was uncomfortable with losing it.
  • image Buttercup29:
    I didn't have a middle name (wasn't common to have one where I am from)

Middle names are not common at all where DH and I come from either, and married women usually either keep their maiden name or take on  their husband's lastname. So maybe it's a cultural/regional thing? I'm not sure.

• I did it, and I'm hoping to use my maiden as our child's middle as well.
  • I think it is common in the East. My mom is from New England and she thought about giving all us kids her last name as our middle name. She and my dad decided against it but it was common among her family. In fact my mom's middle name is a last name from her mom's family. I think it may be done in the South quite a bit, too. I'm not sure about where in Europe Americans brought the tradition from.
  • image hersheykiss:
    image kfishie:

When/If/When/If I ever get around to changing my name, it will be:

I have 4 names now. first name, middle name, maiden name, dh's last name.

This is what I did, too. I considered dropping my middle name altogether since I've never been crazy about it but I decided to just add a 2nd middle name instead. So I choose which middle initial to put on things and sometimes use both my maiden and last name on stuff. It's my name and I can do what I want with it.

• image My.ABC.Life:
    My mom did it in the 70's.  I assumed it was a type of women's lib thing.  (Like I will take on your family name... but I'm not giving mine up all together).

This is exactly how I felt!!