Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Unclogging drains

So, I have never posted on this board but I have a cleaning question. I plan on doing an overhaul on the house this weekend (cleaning and organizing). Is there any way to unclog a drain without using chemicals? Our bathtub and bathroom sink are always getting clogged regardless of the fact we have a hair catcher.

Also, is there any good way of cleaning and sanitizing a kitchen sink? We had fish the other night and I can't get the smell out of our sink!
Thanks!

Re: Unclogging drains

• I can't really help you with the drain thing(I have a hair catcher too and then every so often I just go in with a pair of needle nose pliers and get out the gunk and the use some draino if I need to), but try putting either some vinegar down your kitchen sink and running it for a while, or I believe it is lemon that will help clear out the smell- I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
  • i'm a lurker, coming out of hiding ;o)

we were at Wal*Mart yesterday, and in the bathroom aisle, they have this weird drain unclogger that is a looooong white flexible stick with barbs on it. It had Zip in the name....of course, can't remember now. But it's only, like, $2. We're always having problems with hair clogging the drain, but the chemicals give me a headache. Like PP, we always use needle-nosed pliers, but I think I'm going to go back up to the store and get the zippy thing.

Would cleaning the sink with lemon juice help get the fishy smell out? Maybe a mixture of lemon juice and backing soda...?

HTH! 

• Option #1
    Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar. Try heating the vinegar in the microwave before adding it to the drain. Wait 5 minutes before flushing the drain with 2 quarts of hot water. You can repeat this process a few times if it is necessary. If this is the first time you have cleaned your drain in a long time it may be necessary to repeat the baking soda flush a couple of times.

Option #2
    Try pouring 1 Cup of baking soda and 1/2 Cup of salt down the drain. Let this mixture sit in the drain for several hours, overnight is best, before flushing the drain with 2 cups of boiling water.

• image SikmaSweetie:

i'm a lurker, coming out of hiding ;o)

we were at Wal*Mart yesterday, and in the bathroom aisle, they have this weird drain unclogger that is a looooong white flexible stick with barbs on it. It had Zip in the name....of course, can't remember now. But it's only, like, $2. We're always having problems with hair clogging the drain, but the chemicals give me a headache. Like PP, we always use needle-nosed pliers, but I think I'm going to go back up to the store and get the zippy thing.

Would cleaning the sink with lemon juice help get the fishy smell out? Maybe a mixture of lemon juice and backing soda...?

HTH! 

I have one of those, it's called a Zip-It & they work really well. For the sinks I usually take the pipes apart twice a year & clean them out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image enkeli224:

Option #1
    Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar. Try heating the vinegar in the microwave before adding it to the drain. Wait 5 minutes before flushing the drain with 2 quarts of hot water. You can repeat this process a few times if it is necessary.

i have done this and it worked well

Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • image gakester8:
    image enkeli224:

Option #1
    Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar. Try heating the vinegar in the microwave before adding it to the drain. Wait 5 minutes before flushing the drain with 2 quarts of hot water. You can repeat this process a few times if it is necessary.

i have done this and it worked well

Ditto.  I worked wonders on my bathtub drain.  Also, as pp mentioned, use needle nose pliers and pull any hair out of the drain that you can as well. 

• i'm so glad to see this post - my bathtub drain is sooo clogged all of the time! thanks ladies.
  • As far as the clogging, both the baking soda and hot vinegar AND the baking soda and salt soak work extremly well.

For the fishy smell, if it is in a garbage disposal, all you have to do is cut a citrus (lemon, lime, orange, or even grapefruit) into quarters and feed it into the disposal one piece at a time. make sure you are running COLD water the whole time and about 3 to 5 minutes after the last piece. If the fishy smell is still there (which it shouldn't be) you can try about a dozen grapes, it should do the same thing.

• image SikmaSweetie:

i'm a lurker, coming out of hiding ;o)

HTH! 

A pipe snake is basically what she's talking about. You can get them at any hardware store.