International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

stroller/baby transport advice

It's never too early to start thinking about (and budgeting for) baby necessities, after all. We don't have a car, so we walk everywhere, or take the train to go further afield.

1. What type of baby transport (stroller, carrier, sling, etc) do you have? 

2. Which type of transport do you use most often? In which situations do you use which type?

3. What did you use to transport your baby the first few months, especially as a newborn? 

4. Which brands or types would you recommend? 

Re: stroller/baby transport advice

• No baby here, but my SIL swears by the Peanut Shell sling for newborn-3 months. 

www.thepeanutshell.com

I helped out with her newborn this summer, and it was the one thing that the baby would for sure sleep in while we were on the go. 

• I have a ring sling and pouch sling from kangarookorner.com. They were really helpful getting DS to sleep when he was still brand new but I don't use them that often. We pretty much kept him in his car seat and had a Graco Snap N'Go for the first few months, now he is in a regular front facing stroller.
  • 1. What type of baby transport (stroller, carrier, sling, etc) do you have?

We had the graco snug ride car seat and snap n go frame.  It was great for when we lived in the 'burbs and driving around in a car a lot.  Here in the city it broke the first week we were here.  We've replaced it with an umbrella stroller and a bugaboo.  I use the imbrella stroller when i know i will be in tight places like the grocery store.  It's cold here so I use the bugaboo to keep the baby warm and snug when we make longer trips to places like the mall and we're outside a lot and he needs to be bundled up.

We also have the Infantimo sling.  He lived in that thing for the first 3 months of his life.  He slept there a lot.  It was the cheapest one they had at BRU and I would NOT recommend it for a bigger baby.  Our's has always been on the small side and 20 minutes or so with that sling on and my back was aching.  I could not imagine if he was a little on the larger size.

We also have the baby bjorn.  I can't stand it, husband LOVES it.  We use that if we're going into really crowded places like the city center and don't want to deal with a stroller on the tram.

2. Which type of transport do you use most often? In which situations do you use which type?

I kind of use them all equally :)  Except the sling.  I don't use that at all anymore.

3. What did you use to transport your baby the first few months, especially as a newborn?

The sling and the graco snug ride car seat.

4. Which brands or types would you recommend?

It depends on what you are looking for.  If you live in the city and are walking around a lot, definitely the bugaboo but it's big and bulky so I wouldn't want to deal with it in small confined spaces or pulling it in and out of a car.  I always balked at the idea of people registering for more than one stroller but here I am at 6 months and my baby has had 3 different kinds!

• We've used a few slings, a bjorn, and now we have the bugaboo bee.  I reviewed the bee in my blog.  The only hard part about slings, is it seems like you need to try out a few before you find one your baby likes. 

We don't have a car either and we get everywhere on foot or public transportation.

Considering where you live, I would look into the bugaboo cameleon as well since it can ride over sand and not many others I've seen can do it.

I would 100% rec the bugaboo brand...and they are designed in the Netherlands!

http://www.bugaboo.com/

• 1.  Have had a pouch sling and two ring slings.  Quinny stroller, an umbrella stroller, and Joovy Caboose (great for toddler/baby combo).  Frame backpacks.

2.  I used the slings the most for the first several months (like five months or so).  I used the Quinny a lot when C was a baby but it's not as practical for me to use a single stroller right now.  We use the backpack all the time for travel (after about six months) and just when I don't feel like a stroller would be good.

3.  I loved my Maya adjustable pouch sling, but couldn't find it this time (DH had lost our last one).  Not as crazy about the ring slings.  One of them was Solarveil, so I used that to carry V in the swimming pool and also have a hand free for C.  Strollers with inflatable tires and shocks are great for lots of walking in urban or nature settings.

• Well clearly I have no actual experience with this just yet, but based on research here and elsewhere, I decided on a Bugaboo Cameleon.  We will also get one of the smaller/lighter Maclaren umbrella strollers. 

For wraps/slings I bought a Moby wrap as I decided I liked the idea of having something that goes over both shoulders as it seemed like it would be a better distribution of weight.  I also read many many rave reviews of it.   A friend of mine just gave me a Bjorn her baby has outgrown, so we will try that, too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1. What type of baby transport (stroller, carrier, sling, etc) do you have? We have a 3 wheeler sports runner pram, not sure on make as my BFF gave it to me, it was her son's pram first. We also have a Baby Bjorn type sling.

2. Which type of transport do you use most often? In which situations do you use which type? We use the pram the most often, as its great to carry bags with. We don't have a car, so we walk or take the bus everywhere and its easier to put the bags on the pram. We like to take the 'sling' with as J gets tired of being in the pram all the time on a long day out.

3. What did you use to transport your baby the first few months, especially as a newborn? If I had the KariMe sling when J was a newborn then I would have used that, but I never had it, so we used the pram more.

4. Which brands or types would you recommend?  The KariMe sling is the most comfortable thing I have ever used! http://www.kari-me.com/ I loaned one from my BFing group and I am definately buying one for my next baby!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers