June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*Chelsey* re: kombucha

Have you made any yet (saw your pin)? I'm getting a SCOBY next week so I'm diving into it! I CANNOT wait to make my own. Way cheaper than buying it.

I'm thinking about making my own kefir too!

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
"A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: *Chelsey* re: kombucha

• Yes! I've been brewing it for a few months now. It tastes WAY better than the store kind. The best part is flavoring it. I've tried many combinations, but my favorite (and Jason's too) is mixed berry (blueberry, raspberry and blackberry). I just used frozen fruit. It's also a personal goal to get it as fizzy as possible, so I'm always tweeking my bottling to see what the best process is. www.kombuchakamp.com has some great info. It's very easy though, and I love giving my SCOBY's away to friends :) Have fun!

I haven't tried kefir yet, but it's on the list...

Jackson-19 months image
  • AWESOME!

That mixed berry sounds AMAZING. So, what's the trick to getting it fizzy? How did your first brew turn out? I'm so excited about this!

Thanks for the link too. I was looking for some good resources.

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The Kombucha Kamp lady has some tips for getting it fizzier. Basically when you bottle it, leave as little room at the top for air as possible (like a centimeter). But make sure to "burp" it once a day so it doesn't explode on you. I found my swing top bottles at TJ Maxx of all places, and they have some at World Market as well. My first brew turned out really good. I used apple juice to flavor it, and it was delicious. One of my girlfriends (who I got my SCOBY from) loves grape juice. I also used green tea once and flavored with fresh ginger, lemon zest and pomagranite juice, which sounds like it should have been amazing but it was my least favorite.
    Jackson-19 months image