Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where is everyone today?

Re: Where is everyone today?

• image TSD:
    image Hezzerlah:

How do you like France, Angie?

I'm in full lunch-time mode; making sammiches ('sandOwitz' in Greek, for those playing along at home) and answering questions like, "Where's Lightning McQueen?" and "Where's Francesco?"

Answer: Wherever you last left them, buddy.
    Thrilling, right?

I think it's really weird that Greek sandwiches are Jewish.

Didn't you know that the origin of all words is Greek? 

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2agujx0.jpg[/IMG]

Welcome to my dojo.
  • image boxerfan:

SB, that sucks.  I took topamax for migraines for a while.  It made food taste funny, I felt stupid all the time, and my hands and feet were always asleep.  It was the suck. Drugs that make you forget things are not good.

Coincidence!

This is topamax.  I'm taking it off label as a mood stabilizer though.  My left heel i currently asleep.  Wheeeee!

we all fall down sometimes
    brass and ballet flats
  • They did a great number of things, but I don't think the Greeks can lay claim to the sandwich. Also, that particular spelling is just phonetics. I don't have the Greek alphabet loaded. There's lots of swirly loops and squiggles involved. And maybe a little spit.
  • lisa, is it all the hormones and shots that are messing with you? How is everything going?
  • Winged, it very well could be. I did have a couple of early mornings this week and was largely attributing it to that. But, I've been more tired than normal lately, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Things are going fine. All my bloodwork and ultrasounds have looked good (my lining is "gorgeous"). I am just waiting for the donor to give me some eggs. I think I will start getting updates on her progress soon. Estimated transfer date is March 12, but that all depends on when the donor is ready.

The estrogen shots in the butt hurt like a biatch. I'm glad they are only twice a week.

11/11/11 = 5 years. Woah!
  • image EssBe:
    image boxerfan:

SB, that sucks.  I took topamax for migraines for a while.  It made food taste funny, I felt stupid all the time, and my hands and feet were always asleep.  It was the suck. Drugs that make you forget things are not good.

Coincidence!

This is topamax.  I'm taking it off label as a mood stabilizer though.  My left heel i currently asleep.  Wheeeee!

oh dear.  If it makes you feel any better, the side effects do seem to lessen the longer you take it. 

Baby Boxer is coming! 5.23.12
    www.focushunting.com
  • That's great that everything looks so good lisa!!
  • image KristenBtobe:

image ChristinS:
    I'm hungry.  I think I've opened 3 threads in the past 3 days?  Work has been crazy.  My first pregnant Doctor's appointment is in a few hours.  I hope they do an ultrasound.   I'm still hungry.

Tell them you don't know the exact date of you LMP. That worked for me.

Good tip KB!  I hadn't thought of that.  Winged, I should be 8 weeks tomorrow.  My blueberry is about to blossom into a raspberry.  And thanks LTP!  I really need a beer.
  • I'm here.  Perhaps you'd like to see Mabel's photo shoot from last night when we were lounging on the couch.  We were trying out some different looks.  Right tooth:image

Left tooth:

Both:

Sorry.  That's all I got.

image Mabel the Loser.
  • Oooo, congrats on your gorgeous lining Lisa.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • mabel's ability to isolate teeth is charming.
  • Lisa, did you ever talk at any length about how you picked a donor?  I'm curious but if you'd rather not discuss, just ignore my question.  And GOOD LUCK!!! (don't ignore that part please)
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • image lisaiesha:

Winged, it very well could be. I did have a couple of early mornings this week and was largely attributing it to that. But, I've been more tired than normal lately, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Things are going fine. All my bloodwork and ultrasounds have looked good (my lining is "gorgeous"). I am just waiting for the donor to give me some eggs. I think I will start getting updates on her progress soon. Estimated transfer date is March 12, but that all depends on when the donor is ready.

The estrogen shots in the butt hurt like a biatch. I'm glad they are only twice a week.

I kind of thought you already had the transfer, and when you said how tired you were, I just thought "She's knocked UP!".  Boo.  I'm glad everything is going so well so far.  I have all of my crossables crossed for you.

www.focushunting.com
  • Mabel is so cute.  She's my third favorite MM dog.
    www.focushunting.com
  • WHY YOU GOT TO HATE, BOXER?!
  • Sorry Hezz, I only love whole dogs.*

*Actually I love Kenzie quite a lot, but any dog with jowls and an underbite just puts me right over the edge.

www.focushunting.com
  • Nov, I don't think I talked much about donor selection here. Let's just say it involved a lot of tears. It was hard. But once we made the decision, I never second guessed anything.

We were set on choosing a donor that had already donated OR that had kids. I didn't want to waste time and money on an amateur, lol.

It was important to me that the donor have brown hair/brown eyes (like me).  I was really hoping to get someone with an olive skin tone like mine - in this case, it was mostly Latinos and some Native Americans. But, the number of non-blonde donors is very limited. We could have gone to a donor agency and had a world of women to choose from, but using an agency would cost between $15-20 K (just for the eggs, that does not include anything else.). Because of that, we stayed with the in-house donor program that our IVF clinic runs (about $5K for the donor; the price difference is staggering).

It was important that they had a clean health history. I didn't care about things like glasses and asthma, but there were donors with diabetes, heart disease, alcoholism, etc. in their family backgrounds and we just eliminated them.

The questionnaire they fill out left a lot to be desired. I really wanted to be able to interview them. I mean, I wasn't worried about things like how educated they were because that is not always an indication of intelligence, but rather opportunities and family support. But, what I feel like I WOULD give to my child is being confident, social, an extrovert, etc. Those are not necessarily things they could get from my husband (whereas intelligence definitely is). You can only glean so much from the questionnaire.

In the end we had two donors we were trying to choose between: one that had not donated but had a kid, was Latino, and had lots of dark hair/eye family members, and one that had donated, was younger, and had some blondies in her family. We chose the second one because with a "proven" donor there are just less unknowns. I decided in the end that it was more important to have a baby than to have a baby that looked more like me. Plus, the donor we chose was so much cuter in her baby pictures. That was just a bonus, though.

If you had other questions, I don't mind answering. I just also don't want to bore anyone. 

• lisa it sounds like this was a tricky and hard process but you put a lot of thought into it and made a good decision. I admire that.
  • Wow. That must have been a very hard decision to make. I'm so pulling for you guys and hope that it all works out exactly the way you hope it to.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • Thanks. I hope I chose a good donor because I am never doing that (or IVF) again. Ever, ever, ever. I mean, I'd do a frozen embryo transfer (reluctantly) if we have frozen embryos and we don't get pregnant the first time. I just feel like this is not a road I want to stay on for very long. Too many needles, among other things.
  • Lisa, thank you for sharing. I'll give you all my TP, because you'll need a lot more when you get pregnant; you may want to get a warehouse membership now.
    We, we like to party.
  • OMFG I love Mabel.

Good luck Lisa!

I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys and I've got all my parts crossed for you. 

Also, I'm surprised that there's such a high proportion of blonde donors. It's not like there's a disproportionate amount of naturally blonde people. 

• I was surprised, too, Noisy. I think part of it is location. Our clinic is in Reno and there are lots of blondies there.

It could also be cultural.  One RE I spoke to is Asian and he said that there are very few Asian egg donors and that it is cultural. I can't remember the exact reason he gave, but maybe it was something like they are more private about that stuff. I wonder if more Latinos in Reno aren't on the donor list because of a similar reason.

There was like one 1/2 African American on the list, too, but I really think that is location. There just aren't that many black people in Reno.

• Working like a damn rented mule. The past two days have been hell. I suppose I could have gotten done quicker had I not been on the nest or FB at all, but I would have lost my friggin mind.

I'm tired. I had two packages of PB crackers for lunch. It totally counts.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • Oh, and thank you for sharing, Lisa! That's very interesting.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • image lisaiesha:

I was surprised, too, Noisy. I think part of it is location. Our clinic is in Reno and there are lots of blondies there.

It could also be cultural.  One RE I spoke to is Asian and he said that there are very few Asian egg donors and that it is cultural. I can't remember the exact reason he gave, but maybe it was something like they are more private about that stuff. I wonder if more Latinos in Reno aren't on the donor list because of a similar reason.

There was like one 1/2 African American on the list, too, but I really think that is location. There just aren't that many black people in Reno.

Well, there are. But it's hard to pass this asss off as your own

• image wingedbride:
    image lisaiesha:

I was surprised, too, Noisy. I think part of it is location. Our clinic is in Reno and there are lots of blondies there.

Clearly you've never seen my ass up close and personal.

• image lisaiesha:
    image wingedbride:
    image lisaiesha:

Clearly you've never seen my ass up close and personal.

An that's all your fault. KB shares!

• I hope you check the OOTD thread tomorrow. No reason, really.