Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Friend vs Friend

I have two extremely close friends having big events on the same day.  Friend A is getting married in another state (approx 8 hours away) and Friend B is having her bridal shower that day (I am a bridesmaid).  I am so torn on what to do.  Friend A's wedding is small (second marriage) and they aren't having a bridal party, but I feel obligated to go to that too.  

HELP!  

Re: Friend vs Friend

• How far is the bridal shower?

who asked first?

would you drive or fly to the wedding, what will it cost you?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wedding trumps shower, c'mon.  Tell friend B you have to go to a wedding, and go!  
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/20a9wmp.jpg[/IMG]
  • I agree.  Wedding trumps shower.  Even a 2nd wedding.  I would go to that (as long as I truly WANTED to.  If the shower gives you an excuse to get out of going, that's fine.)

It's seriously "just" a shower - your friend will survive w/o you there.  I assume there are other BM's to run the shower w/o you.

I dont' even see this as a "which invitation did you get first?" situation.  Sometimes certain events simply trump other events. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• The shower is no more than 20 minutes from my house.  To be honest, I have no clue who asked first.  

I am not sure if we would fly or drive yet.  Probably fly.  The cost would be approx. 500 to fly plus hotel.  That really isnt a concern of mine.   

• Wedding trumps shower, for sure.
  • image Ang2208:

The shower is no more than 20 minutes from my house.  To be honest, I have no clue who asked first.  

I am not sure if we would fly or drive yet.  Probably fly.  The cost would be approx. 500 to fly plus hotel.  That really isnt a concern of mine.   

If the cost or distance isn't a concern then you need to go to the wedding (even if it's the 2nd marriage), it's obviously more important than the shower, and you send a gift to the shower.

I could not imagine someone not showing up at my wedding with the excuse "I had a shower the same day"  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I understand that too, but I feel guilty.  I don't think I would feel so guilty if I wasn't in the wedding.  
  • image Ang2208:
    Yeah I understand that too, but I feel guilty.  I don't think I would feel so guilty if I wasn't in the wedding.  
    Totally understandable.  But I'd hope your friend would be understanding.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image Ang2208:
    Yeah I understand that too, but I feel guilty.  I don't think I would feel so guilty if I wasn't in the wedding.  

Your friend will understand if you miss her shower, if she doesn't she's the one being unreasonable. Just let her know well in advance that "sorry, which I could but I have a wedding to go to far away that same day"

You can still help plan the shower too, you just won't be attending. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Ang2208:

When I was getting married I had 4 showers... I told all the BMs that I hoped they would be able to make it to at least 1, but understood they all had busy lives and other obligations. A wedding is a justified excuse.

However, I would let the shower bride know asap.  

• Wedding trumps shower. Unless you are hosting that shower, go to the wedding.
    SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • Wedding trumps shower.
  • image SirSleepsALot:
    Wedding trumps shower.

Agreed. 

• I would go to the wedding.  I'm sure anyone (sane) will understand.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I seriously hate this kind of pathetically critical situation. I would have attended B?s wedding as he is getting married for the first time and you are the bridesmaid too, keep in mind.