International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Moving expenses within London

Hi ladies! I know there are a few nesties that are moving to new flats within London. Can you please tell me how much this is costing you in moving expenses?  Are you packing yourselves or is someone packing for you?  What did you have to pay for as far as end of tenancy goes?

We're suddenly in a bind and may need to move and I'm trying to weigh all the costs associated with moving versus rent increase and break clauses, etc. Everything is a total mess at the moment. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Moving expenses within London

• I'm actually having two moving companies come by today and tomorrow to give us quotes.  We'll be looking for them to do all packing and moving.  I can pass that on to you when I have estimates.

I'm sorry things are a bit in the air right now, I know how frustrating it is.

Cecilia arrived 12 October 2012
  • Yes, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share your findings!  I would really appreciate any recommendations and info...

Also, have you ever had to pay an "inventory fee" here?  We're negotiating our lease, and the new landlord wants to charge 250GBP for this!  Apparently, he'll hire a company to come out and take pictures, etc.  Current landlord charged nothing - he just gave us an inventory and we signed off on it after checking that everything on the list was actually in the flat... 

• They're calling it a "check in fee" on our new place, but it's the same concept I believe.  It's ?198.  I also don't remember there being a separate fee when we last moved, but a 3rd party definitely came in and did a very detailed inventory, with pictures etc.  I think it's pretty standard, for your protection as well, since they identify in nicks and scratches so then it won't come out of your deposit at the end.
    Cecilia arrived 12 October 2012
  • Usually your landlord pays for the inventory check on move in, and you (the renter) pay for this on move out. This is how it has worked in the previous three rentals I've had in London, at least in the agreements. 

In practice, only one has hired a professional inventory person. In the other cases, the landlord has put together a list of items in the flat and we have confirmed that they are there and in the listed condition. Then we have gone through the inventory together at move out. This means I've never actually paid a fee, although if the landlord had insisted, I would have done.

• Also, I've packed things myself and either taken public transport (which really sucks) and/or asked a friend to drive over the big stuff. We used boxes we took home from our respective workplaces. 
  • Yes, thank you please pass any info on.  The landlord paid our inventory fee when we moved in, but we have to pay for it when we move out.  I just read all of our agreement over.

They want to raise the rent 100pounds/month and have a 7 month break clause and then 2 months after that. DH is trying to find a job back in the states so we can move back, so we really don't want a 7 month clause and 100pounds/month more is a lot. Plus it's frustrating because the 2nd bedroom is almost useless with the mold/mildew issues.

I don't want to pay to move here as I think we are going to have to pay to move all our stuff back if/when DH finds a job. There's a million different paths this can all take right now and I just don't even know which one is the best choice. 

• How long have you lived there?  I think after a certain amount of time, it automatically becomes a month to month.  You might want to check on that - you can talk to your local CAB office.

Its been a while since we moved, but we did the man in a van move and it wasn't outrageous. 

• image ukyankee:

How long have you lived there?  I think after a certain amount of time, it automatically becomes a month to month.  You might want to check on that - you can talk to your local CAB office.

Its been a while since we moved, but we did the man in a van move and it wasn't outrageous. 

We have been here going on 3 years.  We've renewed the lease at the end of each year.   

• We're moving in March and are paying the following fees (so far):

?300 for a team of movers and a van. We pack, they move.

?235 Agency fees for our new place (dirt cheap - it's in Zone 5. Estate agents in London typically charge around 4-500 in fees ). This includes inventory, etc.

I'm assuming that the current agency is going to attempt to screw us when we move out and are anticipating having to pay for professional cleaners, because we demanded this when we moved in. (around 200)

Transferring bills, etc. - we're staying with Virgin so we don't need to pay any additional set up fees.

I hope that helps! 

Chronically hilarious - you'll split your stitches!
    I wrote a book! Bucket list CHECK!
  • Definitely check on the laws as you've been there that long.  I believe e rules are in your favour.
  • image Tofumonkey:

We're moving in March and are paying the following fees (so far):

?300 for a team of movers and a van. We pack, they move.

?235 Agency fees for our new place (dirt cheap - it's in Zone 5. Estate agents in London typically charge around 4-500 in fees ). This includes inventory, etc.

I'm assuming that the current agency is going to attempt to screw us when we move out and are anticipating having to pay for professional cleaners, because we demanded this when we moved in. (around 200)

Transferring bills, etc. - we're staying with Virgin so we don't need to pay any additional set up fees.

I hope that helps! 

It was a few years ago but this sounds similar to our last move there. We paid for tow guys and a van but did the packing ourself.  I think Dh found them on gumtree.  

• image ooolalalolo:
    Also, I've packed things myself and either taken public transport (which really sucks) and/or asked a friend to drive over the big stuff. We used boxes we took home from our respective workplaces. 

HAHA I did this a couple of times (back in my poor student/intern days) and yes it is unbelievably sucky! I also used a cab once but it didn't work so great as there was no parking in front of the apartment I was moving into and the dude wouldn't help me bring stuff in or wait in the car whilst I brought stuff into the locked lobby. He helped me haul everything out onto the pavement around the corner from the aprtment building enterance and left. I had to sit with my stuff until my new flatmate came home from work (6 hours later). It wasn't even that much two small trips for 2 people would have done it or it would have taken me 3 trips heavily loadened on my own.

• image sushisamba:

I'm actually having two moving companies come by today and tomorrow to give us quotes.  We'll be looking for them to do all packing and moving.  I can pass that on to you when I have estimates.

I'm sorry things are a bit in the air right now, I know how frustrating it is.

Hi Sushi, I would also be very interested in your quotes too! We are looking for full packing/moving in a couple months...

• we were quoted 1k for a full service move but we have lots of furniture. last moved we ended up self packing and hiring man/van who we've used multiple times (found him in the times of all places!) and actually helps move furniture and it still was hard work. dh said he's never doing it that way again but we have quite a bit of heavy solid wood furniture. if you don't have much definitely consider man with van. if you want details for man let me know.