Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Brewery and/or Beer Recs (AMS, Paris, BCN, LON)

H is big into homebrewing and beer in general.  We considered stopping in Brussels as part of our trip, but decided against it.  However, he's been on the search for breweries we could visit or good beers that he should try there that wouldn't be sold in the US.

Any recs?  (He will pretty much drink any beer; right now he's really into ESBs and sours though)

Our list of considerations right now include Estrella Damn in Barcelona and Fullers in London.  Possibly Well & Young's in Bedford, England.

TIA

Re: Brewery and/or Beer Recs (AMS, Paris, BCN, LON)

• Instead of visiting the Heineken Experience in Amsterdam, I think we'll go to the Brouwerij't IJ- it is a brewery and pub in a converted bathhouse and beside a windmill.  They brew the beer in the lower level and pump it upstairs to the pub.  OR the De Gooier, a brewery pub in a windmill.  You could take a daytrip to Brugge from either Paris or Amsterdam and visit De Halve Mann Brewery or De Struise Brouwers (I found all of these in TripAdvisor- I haven't been to any yet). 
  • Not a European rec but I'm going to take an opportunity to whore out Beerjobber now - it's a US based site where you can purchase craft brews from all over the country - they can deliver to 35 states.  There's a spot on their website where you can input your zip code to see if you can join.  The shipping is a little expensive but it's a cool way to try out brews that would otherwise only be local because of lower production and shorter shelf life.

I never went to Fullers in London - that's near Staines I think... I may have passed by it once.

I can recommend Adnam's in Southwold (Suffolk) but it's about a two hour's drive from London - it is a lovely drive and a gorgeously "perfect" seaside town though.

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • image MyValentine2004:
    Instead of visiting the Heineken Experience in Amsterdam, I think we'll go to the Brouwerij't IJ- it is a brewery and pub in a converted bathhouse and beside a windmill.  They brew the beer in the lower level and pump it upstairs to the pub.  OR the De Gooier, a brewery pub in a windmill.  You could take a daytrip to Brugge from either Paris or Amsterdam and visit De Halve Mann Brewery or De Struise Brouwers (I found all of these in TripAdvisor- I haven't been to any yet). 

Oh whoops, I should have input that we are planning on going to the Heineken Experience.

Unfortunately due to our limited schedule, we don't have the opportunity to do a day trip from Amsterdam or Paris, but Brouwerij't and De Gooier sound interesting, thanks!

• image laptopprancer:

Not a European rec but I'm going to take an opportunity to whore out Beerjobber now - it's a US based site where you can purchase craft brews from all over the country - they can deliver to 35 states.  There's a spot on their website where you can input your zip code to see if you can join.  The shipping is a little expensive but it's a cool way to try out brews that would otherwise only be local because of lower production and shorter shelf life.

I never went to Fullers in London - that's near Staines I think... I may have passed by it once.

I can recommend Adnam's in Southwold (Suffolk) but it's about a two hour's drive from London - it is a lovely drive and a gorgeously "perfect" seaside town though.

Wow, Beerjobber sounds right up our alley.  I wonder if H has heard of it, thanks!

Lol, my sister and I just had a conversation how we're surpised that my parents rented a car and are driving to Bath today (they live in the States and are visiting right now).  I'm too nervous to drive there, especially adding a brewery in the mix :O)  Thanks though!

• Check out Meantime Brewing in Greenwich. We had some beers there during our trip to London and we liked it a lot. A boat tour of the Thames was included in our London Pass package, so we took the boat to Greenwich, walked up the hill to see the Royal Observatory and Prime Meridian, and then went back down toward the Naval College and had some beer in the pub's courtyard. (Free wi-fi, too!)

Will you be able to visit Belgium? There's a lot of good places there. Fantome comes to mind, although you shouldn't have a problem finding that in the U.S. (I know we get it in New Jersey, anyway). Our friends went to Belgium right before our wedding and as a wedding gift they brought us back a few nice bottles from Westvleteren Brewery.

I see you're in Chicago, right? We made a side trip to Indiana during our Chicago trip so MH could have drinks at Three Floyds, and we also drove to Kenosha to buy some beer at Tenuda's Store (New Glarus, for example), since we can't get any of that stuff at home.

• Thanks mbc!! 

Check out Meantime Brewing in Greenwich. We had some beers there during our trip to London and we liked it a lot. A boat tour of the Thames was included in our London Pass package, so we took the boat to Greenwich, walked up the hill to see the Royal Observatory and Prime Meridian, and then went back down toward the Naval College and had some beer in the pub's courtyard. (Free wi-fi, too!)

Nice, thanks.  I'm going to look into this!

Will you be able to visit Belgium? There's a lot of good places there. Fantome comes to mind, although you shouldn't have a problem finding that in the U.S. (I know we get it in New Jersey, anyway). Our friends went to Belgium right before our wedding and as a wedding gift they brought us back a few nice bottles from Westvleteren Brewery.

I wish we were, but this was an after thought after we already booked our transportation, accommodations and some tours.  We'll have to go at some point.

I see you're in Chicago, right? We made a side trip to Indiana during our Chicago trip so MH could have drinks at Three Floyds, and we also drove to Kenosha to buy some beer at Tenuda's Store (New Glarus, for example), since we can't get any of that stuff at home.

Lol, funny you mention that as we almost went to Three Floyds last weekend.  We like a lot of their stuff and they recently posted that they have Zombie Dust (which is hard to come by and SO marked up when you do find it in the city).  I lived in Milwaukee for 5 yrs, so we're familiar with some of the brewerys like New Glarus, Lakefront and Sprechers.

• Barcelona also has Moritz. I don't know if you can tour the brewery but it's always fun to try local beers. Estrella Damm has a Damm Lemon that is a shandy that is fun to drink outside on a hot day.

• image eeeeva:

Barcelona also has Moritz. I don't know if you can tour the brewery but it's always fun to try local beers. Estrella Damm has a Damm Lemon that is a shandy that is fun to drink outside on a hot day.

Thanks! I saw Moritz mentioned in my travel book and had forgotten about it. Damm Lemon sounds tasty too.
  • While not a brewery, I would definitely go to Brewdogs in Camden and Craft Beer Co in Clerkenwell when you are in London - great small brewery beers and  cool places!  I'm on my iPad so can't post links..easy to look up though!