Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Have you seen this Kennedy v. maternity nurses?

It's so effing bizarre.  WTF was he trying to take the baby outside?

Re: Have you seen this Kennedy v. maternity nurses?

• It's really strange.  At our hospital, if we took Ian out of my room, we couldn't be carrying him, we had to be pushing him in the hospital pram, and we weren't allowed to leave the floor.  Seems like that be common sense to any new parent.

If the nurses were aggressors, as his doctor friend says, it's most likely because they were just trying to do their jobs.

• Link?

Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • what a strange story. to me it sounds like the only one being inappropriate was Kennedy. wtf take the baby outside to get some fresh air? kicking and pushing down nurses? most birth wards are on full blown lockdown and they have so much security in place in the interest of protecting the babies from just anyone waltzing in and taking one. the nurse's priority would be to keep the baby safe and in the building until they were officially discharged, right? regardless of whether the father was famous, because it seems like there is an unspoken "don't you realize who i AM???" undercurrent to his/his lawyers allegations.

mount kisco!

• I bet they'd have let Jay-Z take Blue for a walk around the block.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • The rules around baby security at my hospital have already been clearly explained to us twice, and I'm sure we'll hear it at least once more while we're there.  They take that shiz seriously, and I'm happy they do. This just sounds like Kennedy was expecting special treatment because of his name, and he pitched a fit when he didn't get it. 
    Baby Boxer is coming! 5.23.12
    www.focushunting.com
  • I just can't figure why he'd even want to take a newborn out of the hospital for "fresh air."  Drugs?  It just seems so irrational.
  • But Taub said neither nurse recognized Kennedy as the child's father and intended to protect the baby, who apparently had not been discharged. They were trying to enforce hospital rules, Taub said.

They did the right thing. Absolutely. Hitting or grabbing a nurse there to protect the infants and mothers in the maternity ward is outrageous.

Why? It's hospital policy. He'd have had the right to leave with the infant on a waiver which would take some time to put in place. He's clearly an ass and a bully.

image Josephine is 4.
  • "They're the aggressors, even though I was kicking them and twisting their arms."  Nutter.

And yeah, at our hospital, if a baby was taken too close to the elevator bank, the entire wing automatically went on lockdown--elevators wouldn't open, and additional keycards were needed for stairwell doors--until security had done a thorough sweep of the floor. 
    Rita Mae - 11/8/10

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6818535497_6a02e5e851_m.jpg[/img]
  • image lanie30:

But Taub said neither nurse recognized Kennedy as the child's father and intended to protect the baby, who apparently had not been discharged. They were trying to enforce hospital rules, Taub said.

I haven't been really following it, but the above makes me think Dr House had something to do with it.  

Also, in-between Bug and Dimi the pushing your baby down the hall rule got implemented and I just thought it was really weird. I don't have any problem with the arm bands and not going outside, but I can carry my baby around the hard linoleum-floored room where there's lots of equipment and cords, but not the wide, carpeted hallway free of obstructions? Oh-kay. 

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • image pdxmouse:
    image lanie30:

But Taub said neither nurse recognized Kennedy as the child's father and intended to protect the baby, who apparently had not been discharged. They were trying to enforce hospital rules, Taub said.

I haven't been really following it, but the above makes me think Dr House had something to do with it.  

Also, in-between Bug and Dimi the pushing your baby down the hall rule got implemented and I just thought it was really weird. I don't have any problem with the arm bands and not going outside, but I can carry my baby around the hard linoleum-floored room where there's lots of equipment and cords, but not the wide, carpeted hallway free of obstructions? Oh-kay. 

There are dumb rules. I wasn't allowed to carry jo in a hospital bed, as they wheeled me down the hall. Um. Ok? But regardless, when you register they go over all this stuff in detail and you get another rundown on those happy hospital tvs that play on repeat and help from the nurses. The guy is a bully.

image Josephine is 4.
  • That's crazy.

When we were on our hospital tour and again at our childbirth class, they went over the rules. Bob and I will also get bracelets with a number that matches the baby's bracelet that gets checked anytime the baby leaves us or gets brought to us.

The baby will also have lojack on her ankle and the ward will get locked down if she gets too close to the door. The elevators are outside the locked door so you can't even leave the floor.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • That's nuts. It sounds like the baby lojack system is pretty standard across the board everywhere - we had it at our hospital too. Elevators and stairs are outside the lojack door and down the hallway, so no escaping with the baby. What a Mr. Cheney. 

• Our hospital was stifling. Soooo hot Jo kept getting overheated and I still had 0 desire to take her out into the frigid night for "fresh air." I mean I might have been ticked off that I couldn't open a window but no one was getting their arm twisted for fresh air.

image Josephine is 4.
  • Ours was too, both times. The L&D room was a nice, cool, comfortable temperature, but the recovery rooms were miserable, stinky, sweaty messes. But yeah, no one ever thought to take either kid outside either time.