Hudson Valley Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Baby Registry Must-Haves?

Next weekend I'm going to help my friend register for her baby shower. There's so much new sh!t out there since I had MiniMags. What were some of your must have items? Anything we should avoid? Thanks in advance!

Re: Baby Registry Must-Haves?

• MUST:

boppy/boppy covers

boucy seat

excersaucer

high chair

crib/crib mattress/sheets etc

pack and play

bottles/nipples and/or pump

pacifiers?

"EH" stuff

I NEVER used my wipe warmer

I rarely used my bottle warmer- the microwave and a good shake of the hand did the trick

• Get her the book "Baby Bargains" that will be her registering bible.
  • Baby 411 - i live by this book

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

engaged. 04/12/08 <3 married 07/09/10 <3 A.J 09/29/11 <3 baby #2 due Jan 3, '15
  • image kendra316:
    Get her the book "Baby Bargains" that will be her registering bible.
    This definitely! I did not register for a wipe warmer but did get one. I don't necessarily need it but am glad I got it. I registered for a full size swing and while it was a life saver when T wouldn't sleep in his PnP (this is his crib for now since we share a room) I wish I would have just registered for a travel/portable swing. Our apt is tiny and I have to be conscious of our space. We went out and bought the travel one for when we go to family and friends houses and now we have 2 swings. Dumb considering our space issues.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image kendra316:
    Get her the book "Baby Bargains" that will be her registering bible.

Ditto

Hmm....I think I used my bottle sterilizer once...giant waste of money. If you really need to sterilize something just throw it in boiling water on the stove.

The bottle warmer was also a waste for me, but I have friends that could not have survived without it.

Our saving grace was the Fisher Price Rock and Play sleeper. A didn't get a full nights sleep until we bought that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If she has space for storage she should register for car seat for now and toddler car seat for later.  Also, Snap and Go was a must for us and if she has storage space you can register for a smaller stroller for later (like Maclaren)

Those swaddle me sleep sacks.  DD loved them and they are like $20 each so it can get expensive if you need a few

Dont bother registering for clothes too much.  People will get you lots, and often the clothes in the strides change every few weeks so buyers it givers may not be able to find what she registered for 

• Ditto Baby Bargains (I know BRU has a copy at the registry desk that you can use and the library also stocks it)

Diapers and wipes are always helpful. I'd avoid all toys/clothes since so many people gift them at the shower in addition to registry items and people will bring them after s/he is born too.

She should also consider her completion discount. I added my breast pump after my shower (you only have 90 days where I registered to return it unopened) and bought it with the completion discount 2 weeks prior to my EDD- I also used a 20% on that item. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • image MargieMags:
    Next weekend I'm going to help my friend register for her baby shower. There's so much new sh!t out there since I had MiniMags. What were some of your must have items? Anything we should avoid? Thanks in advance!

OMG Margie- after 12 years, I walked into BRU like wtf?

I highly recommend a Jumperoo (any kind). It really helps me out while doing laundry or cooking; I know that LO is in a safe place where he can be active. I wish they were around when I had my older 2.

Also, I agree not to bother registering for clothes and toys but onsies (in ALL sizes) and bibs will always be used. I underestimated how many bibs LO's use during the first 6 months, not just from spitting up but also from teething drool. Carter's makes good quality ones with lining and they can be pricey. They sell them at BRU and Buy Buy Baby (don't know where your friend is registering.

100% agree that steralizers are a big waste of time and outdated IMO. I just boiled or stuck in the dishwasher (no biggie).

Lastly, I secretly wish it were YOU that were registering. Don't know why, just do!

218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image summerbride11:

image MargieMags:

OMG Margie- after 12 years, I walked into BRU like wtf?

Lastly, I secretly wish it were YOU that were registering. Don't know why, just do!

1) YES! That's how I felt when my sister had her baby last year. SO MUCH NEW SH!T!!

2) Hahahaha! We'll see what happens. 

• I could not believe all the new and different stuff. Even bottles were difference. LOL

I use my sterilizer micro bags all the time. I also love the cleaning wipes by medela for my pump at work. We use and love swaddle blankets. She loves her Moose by Lamaze.  I LOVE the thermometer that scans the forehead.  We also love the kick and play piano. Also a Wubanub because they are sooo cute!!

I don't have lots of room so we looked for things that do twice the work. it's a swing and a high chair in one. We don't have tons of baby stuff she doesn't like any of it.

I don't recommend registering for a toddler seat now. Car seats expire due to the plastic aging. If this is the last kid no biggie. If someone wants seats to rotate to a few kids they should be purchased when needed. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would say diapers and wipes are big and were a greatly appreciated present.

I loved the Swaddle Mes...but you never know how a baby will react...that is, swaddle or not...but i say put some on, she can always return if the baby doesn't like to be swaddled.

I bought this little travel bottle warmer afterwards that i loved.  I didn't use a bottle warmer at home but we would take the bottle out and sit it in hot water for awhile but on the road, in the car, we couldn't do that...so this would take the shill off.  loved that!

As far as bottle sterlizer, wipes warmer, etc. i think those are a waste.  We had also registered for a gate that ended up being a waste because it wouldn't fit in our doorway (too small)...so i returned it a year later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • i think i'm the opposite of everyone here- i used the bottle sterilizer a million times.  it was easier and quicker than running the dishwasher and i didnt want to run the dishwasher for just bottles.  i do however agree that bottle warmers are a total waste. 

if she is going to nurse tell her to get the "my brest friend" pillow- so much better than boppy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary