Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

HELP! Fruit flies....

How do I get rid of fruit flies???  Our apt is pretty clean and we take out the trash every few days... any suggestions?  They're really annoying!!  TIA!

Re: HELP! Fruit flies....

• Hi Carina!
    We're having the same problem! There are a few tricks you can use. You can mix apple cider vinegar an dish detergent in a cup ( vinegar) then use the spray nozzle on your sink to spray water into the cup and make suds. The flies are drawn to the vinegar but get stuck in the suds and die. You can also fill a cup with red wine and they will land in that and drown. You may have to try a few types of wine before you find one they like - we have finnicky flies! Lol.

Good luck!

• Normally I clean with environmentally friendly products... but this is not one of the times I do. I dump a cup of bleach down each drain. (This is where they lay their eggs.) Leave for a minute or two and then rinse with hot water. Works like a charm every time.
  • image mandms08:
    Normally I clean with environmentally friendly products... but this is not one of the times I do. I dump a cup of bleach down each drain. (This is where they lay their eggs.) Leave for a minute or two and then rinse with hot water. Works like a charm every time.

I did this only I left the bleach sit over night.  I went from having my dining room wall look like a scene from Amityville Horror  to having zero fruit flies.

And like you, we had a clean place, they just seemed to come up through the pipes.

G'Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Omg, I just spent the last 3 days stalking fruit flies and swatting them with a fly swatter. I also tried the apple cider vinegar thing but it only caught 2 flies.
  • i have a solution that works like a charm for me. get a drinking glass and put half of a cut up banana in it. tightly cover the top with plastic wrap and wrap tape around the sides of the glass to keep it on. poke 15-20 holes with a pen. they will be able to get in but cant get out. replace it every few days until youve gotten rid of all of them. i just take the whole thing in the backyard and dump it.?
  • we just had this problem too!!

?I put a banana in a deep soup bowl and covered it with balasmic vinegar. ?Cover the mix with saran wrap and poke holes in it. Leave it on the counter for a few days and it will catch them all. To kill them afterwards, I just sprayed with some bug killer stuff that we had under the sink, but they really just drown themselves :)

?

Good Luck!?