Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where would you take a 3-month old?

DH may have to travel for work later this year, when the baby is about 3 months old. Its still a mostly pleasure trip, and I get to come for free, plus we can take the baby. Of course we've thought about not taking the baby, but I'm thinking at 3 months we won't want to leave them home. We DO have that option so if you think we are nuts for taking a 3 month baby with us, say! We are due in May, the trip would be in August. We fly from Toronto and all of the trips are 6-8 nights. 

Are any of these places a really bad choice to take an infant? Or any extra easy?

1) 6 nights in Berlin, Germany.

2) Kona, Hawaii for 6 nights (we've been to Kauai, Maui and Oahu previously). This one we may have the option of bringing a set of parents which might be nice. 

3) Edited to take out # 3 - the kid would have to be 6 months old for the specific cruise line.

4) Budapest, Hungary

5) Sea Island, Georgia.

6) Disney Cruise (not really appealing except for the fact that they have daycare. LOL).

7) Interlaken, Switzerland.  

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2yp0n5f.gif[/IMG]

Re: Where would you take a 3-month old?

• With a 3 month old I would not switch time zones because I would not want to deal with jet lag while on a vacation.  I would go to the place with the smallest time change.

We moved to amsterdam when our son was 5 months old and it took us a solid month to get his sleep schedule  on Europe time.  It took us a full week for him to stop Waking up at 2am ready to play! 

• I would have gone anywhere with DD at that age. We did a week-long road trip when she was 4 months and had a blast. She's a good traveler :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • image Dr.Loretta:
    I would have gone anywhere with DD at that age. We did a week-long road trip when she was 4 months and had a blast. She's a good traveler :)

ITA with Dr.Loretta. At that age you can go anywhere. All the do is sleep anyway and you really aren't on much of a schedule at three months. It's even easier if you nurse since you only have to pack diapers and wipes. Go now while you can before the baby is mobile.  

Just feed the baby during the take offs and landings (to help with the change in cabin pressure) and you'll be okay. And bring a carrier so that you can have your hands free :)

• image nikinikinine:

image Dr.Loretta:
    I would have gone anywhere with DD at that age. We did a week-long road trip when she was 4 months and had a blast. She's a good traveler :)

ITA with Dr.Loretta. At that age you can go anywhere. All the do is sleep anyway and you really aren't on much of a schedule at three months. It's even easier if you nurse since you only have to pack diapers and wipes. Go now while you can before the baby is mobile.  

Just feed the baby during the take offs and landings (to help with the change in cabin pressure) and you'll be okay. And bring a carrier so that you can have your hands free :)

Ditto the above. You can take a 3 month old just about anywhere. Enjoy this time. :) It gets much, much harder as they get older!

Hawaii
  • image TotZiens:

With a 3 month old I would not switch time zones because I would not want to deal with jet lag while on a vacation.  I would go to the place with the smallest time change.

We moved to amsterdam when our son was 5 months old and it took us a solid month to get his sleep schedule  on Europe time.  It took us a full week for him to stop Waking up at 2am ready to play! 

jet lag at three months is nothing. They wake so often in the night and nap so often in the day that they barely notice it. And if a three month old wakes up at 2am ready to play they'll only be awake for an hour anyway.

I would not go anywhere with a beach, it will suck to not be able to just hang out on the beach. Odds are the baby will just sleep and eat in the sling and you'll be able to do anything, so I choose Germany, Interlaken or Budapest.

• image Dr.Loretta:

this. you really can go anywhere when they are that age. Just get a backpack you can put her in and bjorn and you will be good to go. We traveled alot when my son was that age and it was very easy. Some places we went to: Savannah, Ga, Boston, and out west on a month long trip, Grand tetons, Yellowstone, San fran, etc. and he was awesome. 

Have a great time! 

• Awesome. Thanks everyone. 

I think we might do Berlin or Interlaken since neither of us have been to those places and we'd love to check them out. Plus, they both appeal to us so much more than a Disney cruise or Georgia. 

I'm not worried about the time change since my understanding is infants don't have a good schedule at that age yet anyway. 

• My first concern would be safety. Where would be the safest place to go? I would look at any and all travel warnings for each country. Where would we get the best health care should something major happen. And what place would be the easiest to get home from if my child needed a better hospital or something major happened and I need to leave right away.

• image GardenMama83:

My first concern would be safety. Where would be the safest place to go? I would look at any and all travel warnings for each country. Where would we get the best health care should something major happen. And what place would be the easiest to get home from if my child needed a better hospital or something major happened and I need to leave right away.

All of these options are "1st world" countries, the medical care would b fine if needed.  

• image Knitty:

I would not go anywhere with a beach, it will suck to not be able to just hang out on the beach.

Actually, I disagree. Living in Florida, we take our little ones to the beach all the time. In fact, it's much easier taking them now than when they are mobile. There are great sun tents that you can purchase so you can always keep them in the shade. 

Hawaii