Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

sadle - another bike question

A girl is selling a bike in my size and asking a very fair price for (she only bought it last March, so it's very new.)

Problem is that it's a tri bike that hubs (who is way more experienced in these things than I am) thinks may be too much for me to handle.

It's got aero bars instead of regular and he says it's just trickier to handle well.  I have no idea, since I've never ridden one before.

Thoughts?  If it makes a difference, due to time and childcare constraints, I'll rarely be riding this (or any bike) on the road, a good 75% of my miles will be on the trainer.

Re: sadle - another bike question

• Practice aero position on your trainer. Once you get outside you should be fine. I never ride in aero in traffic or when on a group ride. I do not think aero bars are hard to handle. Your husband needs to have faith in you ;). Also, get it fitted after you purchase the bike.
  • I will for sure have it refitted to me after purchasing.

Josh just has this thing against tri bikes, I'm not really sure why.  Maybe he's scared I'll be faster than him :)

• I'm not sadle, but my DH bought a bike last summer that's a tri bike and he rarely rides on his aero bars.  I don't think it's much of a difference.
  • IMO, you should probably buy a road bike, especially if it's your first "nice" bike. Road bikes are more versatile, you can take them on group rides (tri bikes are a no-no on most group rides), and they can be easier to ride. Tri bikes will be "twitchier," so your DH is right about that. They are harder to control than a road bike.

Unless it's such a deal that you'd be stupid to pass it up, I'd pass. 

• image Sadlebred:

IMO, you should probably buy a road bike, especially if it's your first "nice" bike. Road bikes are more versatile, you can take them on group rides (tri bikes are a no-no on most group rides), and they can be easier to ride. Tri bikes will be "twitchier," so your DH is right about that. They are harder to control than a road bike.

Unless it's such a deal that you'd be stupid to pass it up, I'd pass. 

Agreed.