Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Why do i always get shakey when i lift

weights?   I can run for miles and miles and have no problems, cardio i feel fine

BUT whenever i do any type of strength training i get so shakey, almost like i cant finish, even yoga

Re: Why do i always get shakey when i lift

• You have most likely damaged some muscle cells, and the potassium that is normally inside the cell is now floating around many muscle cells.  And potassium causes your muscles to quiver instead of normally contract.

It's why docs get all antsy when a patient's serum potassium is too high--it can cause cardiac arrhythmias. 

• Are you eating anything before you work out? It could be low blood sugar.
  • Wow this is scary!

Yes I usually eat something before I go 

• image dirtyred:

You have most likely damaged some muscle cells, and the potassium that is normally inside the cell is now floating around many muscle cells.  And potassium causes your muscles to quiver instead of normally contract.

It's why docs get all antsy when a patient's serum potassium is too high--it can cause cardiac arrhythmias. 

While this could happen it would not be my first guess as to why your getting shakey while lifting. Here is an artical about potassium levels and what potassium does in your body, http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/potassium-k-in-blood. You would have to be taking a large supplement in order to get to a dangerous level that could give you a heart attach.

I also get shakey when I lift. I think I get it from raising my hr too fast and dehydration. I'll take a rest in between reps to allow my hr to lower and drink some water. Before I workout my body responds best to a small snack, apple and peanut butter, or string cheese and yogurt about an hour before the gym. If I'm feeling really shakey during lifting I'll drink a gateraid after to help with the electrolite imblance.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2pzyb02.jpg[/IMG]

<a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • image erincassidy06:
    image dirtyred:

You have most likely damaged some muscle cells, and the potassium that is normally inside the cell is now floating around many muscle cells.  And potassium causes your muscles to quiver instead of normally contract.

While this could happen it would not be my first guess as to why your getting shakey while lifting. Here is an artical about potassium levels and what potassium does in your body, http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/potassium-k-in-blood. You would have to be taking a large supplement in order to get to a dangerous level that could give you a heart attach.

I also get shakey when I lift. I think I get it from raising my hr too fast and dehydration. I'll take a rest in between reps to allow my hr to lower and drink some water. Before I workout my body responds best to a small snack, apple and peanut butter, or string cheese and yogurt about an hour before the gym. If I'm feeling really shakey during lifting I'll drink a gateraid after to help with the electrolite imblance.

I didn't mean to suggest that her serum potassium levels were high and she was at risk for a heart arrhythmia--sorry if it came across that way.  Localized high potassium, from heavy workouts, is common and in no way affects your heart.