Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

PSA - Chicago Marathon registration

Registration opens tomorrow at 12 p.m. CST for the Chicago Marathon.  It will be my 5th marathon but my first time doing Chicago. It is also the most expensive marathon I've signed up for, at $150.  Anyone else doing it?

Re: PSA - Chicago Marathon registration

• Hey there! I'm not doing the marathon (not quite at that level!) but I just moved to Chicago so I thought I'd say hi! Are there any good gyms or running groups in the area?
    Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Consider me registered at 12:01 :)  I ran it in 2010 and ran NYC in 2011, and now want to PR Chicago.  $150 is a good price for this race, it is extremely well organized and has an awesome post-race party.  you won't regret it.  weather is ALWAYS hit or miss....i.e. 90 one year and 35 the next. So be prepared for it to go either way.  nevertheless, they will never run out of water again, haha!  (circa 2007)

As far as gyms in the city, I go to XSport and think they have the best rates.  CARA has a lot of running groups, or you can meet people by running with Fleet Feet, the local running store.  They do women's fun runs on wednesdays i think from their two locations and you can meet people that way.  I am looking to run a sub-4 marathon and don't mind running with someone faster! 

"I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind..."
    imageimageimage
    Recent Races:
    Chicago Half Marathon 9/11/11: 1:58:11 (PR)
    Race for the Cure 10k, Chicago 9/24/11: 51:52 (PR)
    ING New York City Marathon 11/6/11: 4:13:16 (PR)
  • I've run Chicago several times and am burnt out on it.  I remember wayyyy back when it was $85 to register (8 years ago), so $150 seems crazy to me.  Though, I will vouch and agree that it is EXTREMELY well organized and such. The killer for me was the weather.  It has been consistently hot ~70s about 3/4 of the time, and I would prefer a cooler marathon.  And less people. 

If you've never done one, it is WELL worth the experience.

• I'm watching the clock until noon.  It'll be my first marathon and I'm super excited!!